Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues with the JBA 4inch lift? It's the Bilstein/springs kit for $1250. It is putting my CV axles at bad angles...replaced bad differential bushings and still not fixed. Went to install a Jeeperf differential drop and got it installed but it put the entire suspension up front in a bind, no suspension slack and the cv axles were literally pushing on the LCA where the shock mount bolt goes.

We are ordering a Superlift crossmember to lower the LCAs hoping the LCA were what were binding the entire lift...but just looking for input on direction to go here? I haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue..
Thanks All!
Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Anyone else have issues with the JBA 4inch lift? It's the Bilstein/springs kit for $1250. It is putting my CV axles at bad angles...replaced bad differential bushings and still not fixed. Went to install a Jeeperf differential drop and got it installed but it put the entire suspension up front in a bind, no suspension slack and the cv axles were literally pushing on the LCA where the shock mount bolt goes.

We are ordering a Superlift crossmember to lower the LCAs hoping the LCA were what were binding the entire lift...but just looking for input on direction to go here? I haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue..
Thanks All.
Thanks all!
I can't recall hearing about anybody on the forum running this lift, so, I wouldn't expect a lot of responses.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Big Blue. Was definitely hoping for some insight 😞 will continue my evaluations and trial and errors 🙂

·
Registered
480 Posts
That kit looks like a disaster for your angles; the stock suspension simply isn't designed for 4" of lift. Depending on the weight up front it could work with the Bilsteins at their lowest settings, but ultimately you'll be putting everything at far too high of angle.

Dropping the differential and LCAs will help resolve most of your suspension issues. You'll still have a bit of an angle on your UCAs, but nothing the JBAs can't handle. You're going to go through steering racks much more quickly though; there's no way to fix those angles without going for a full Jeeperf steering kit. The only way a Superlift gets away with it is with a redesigned spindle. If you can get hold of those along with the LCA brackets, you shouldn't have any more problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So theoretically with the JEEPERF differential drop I just got and a Superlift crossmember and and some 4inch lift tie rod ends I should be ok?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be the proper way to fix this I guess is the question. I've already stopped $1300 on the JBA 4in lift, $430 on the JEEPERF bushing and drops, and will be $220 for a Superlift crossmember. Do I just move forward and get the JEEPERF tierod ends and sway bar links or do I scrap this all and start over with a new lift?

·
Registered
480 Posts
What would be the proper way to fix this I guess is the question. I've already stopped $1300 on the JBA 4in lift, $430 on the JEEPERF bushing and drops, and will be $220 for a Superlift crossmember. Do I just move forward and get the JEEPERF tierod ends and sway bar links or do I scrap this all and start over with a new lift?
I don't think you need to scrap it and start over. Longer sway bar end links are a good idea, though I'd personally choose JBA end links. Jeeperf tie rod ends or Superlift spindles should fix your steering angles. Those should sort out your front end.

Your rear end is a little different. You can probably get away with leaving it alone, but you'll probably want to notch your gas tank skid plate so your driver's side UCA has room to drop during normal axle travel. Another option is Superlift control arms. You can also probably use an adjustable track bar since your axle will be an inch or so off center. Again, you probably don't need either of these things for daily driving, they're just modifications to consider.

However, you're definitely in undocumented territory. A few of us have gone to 4" of lift, and we've all run into different problems with it. The issues you're facing are going to be different than what I saw with mine, and you may run into issues I didn't, or you may avoid issues I had.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys...I guess my plan of action is to buy the JEEPERF tie rod ends, the JBA swaybar links and the Superlift crossmember. My dad wants me to get the knuckles from Superlift too but I think that will make a headache with the steering ends because then I would need their spindles etc. Thanks all. Let me know if any other ideas pop up. I reached out to JBA And he has no idea where to go with it from here.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks guys...I guess my plan of action is to buy the JEEPERF tie rod ends, the JBA swaybar links and the Superlift crossmember. My dad wants me to get the knuckles from Superlift too but I think that will make a headache with the steering ends because then I would need their spindles etc. Thanks all. Let me know if any other ideas pop up. I reached out to JBA And he has no idea where to go with it from here.
If you pick up the Superlift knuckles, you won't need the Jeeperf tie rod ends. Knuckle and spindle are interchangeable terms for the same part, and that part is what essentially fixes all your angles with the stock steering system.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought stock tie rod ends hit on the knuckle with the Superlift knuckle?
As far as I know, the Superlift knuckle was designed specifically to work with the stock tie rod ends. The only potential problem it may cause is with stock wheels; stock backspacing may make contact with the knuckle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great...not a problem for me then lol. Going to order the sway bar links knuckles and crossmember from Superlift as the JBA sway bar links say they won't work with it...thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok...well it took a 12 hour night and some finessing but we finally got the JEEPERF Brackets on and hopefully started correcting some things I definitely see a slightly better cv angle though it's not completely straight yet.. Here's pics....now we did notice that there is hardly any room for the CV axle shaft above the LCA but there's enough and we're getting the Superlift crossover in a week or so, hopefully that fixes it. Only complaints currently before test drive tomorrow are my factory crappy skid plate won't fit now so I'll make that work next weekend and the wheel hubs were really tough to turn so I'm hoping everything goes ok on the test drive here's some pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok...well it took a 12 hour night and some finessing but we finally got the JEEPERF Brackets on and hopefully started correcting some things I definitely see a slightly better cv angle though it's not completely straight yet.. Here's pics....now we did notice that there is hardly any room for the CV axle shaft above the LCA but there's enough and we're getting the Superlift crossover in a week or so, hopefully that fixes it. Only complaints currently before test drive tomorrow are my factory crappy skid plate won't fit now so I'll make that work next weekend and the wheel hubs were really tough to turn so I'm hoping everything goes ok on the test drive here's some pics..

Those CV angles look reasonable to me. I typically go off the boots; if the ridges on the boots are making significant contact, the angles are probably too steep. You're at closer to a 2" lift angle, which plenty of us have run with no problems.

The Superlift components should fix your LCA problem, as well as put those tie rods back at a reasonable angle. I don't think the factory skid plate fits at all with the Superlift, but I'm sure with some modification you can make it work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah just woke up And drove it...drives great but yeah taking the Bilstein 5100s down to their lowest setting hurts. I put a rake back in it 😞. Just measured center of wheel to fender flares again and I'm about 22 inches 😞 ouch. Should I look at a spacer or ? I want my rake gone again. 22inch is how much lift 2.5 or 3"?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah just woke up And drove it...drives great but yeah taking the Bilstein 5100s down to their lowest setting hurts. I put a rake back in it 😞. Just measured center of wheel to fender flares again and I'm about 22 inches 😞 ouch. Should I look at a spacer or ? I want my rake gone again. 22inch is how much lift 2.5 or 3"?
I am just under 23in with 5100s (lowest setting) and OME HD springs on a v6... am I die?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure...this the first vehicle I've ever done work on...I think 23inches is ok but they'd have to confirm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts