Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my RC 2 inch lift in, my question is, is it a must to change a upper control arm with a JBA Upper A-arms for lifted jeeps, I have seen some pictures of what happened to some jeeps that have not got it replaced when they did a 2 inch lift and up, it’s funny that a $169 lift kit can cost me an extra $450 I guess that’s the jeep bug that we all have:wink3:

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Yes, you need the JBA upper control arms. I just got some. When I first put my Rough Country 2" lift on I didn't have a bad angle on the ball joint but now it has gotten worse. I'm not going to take a chance as it's not worth it. I'd rather spend the $450 because it's a lot cheaper than having your wheel fall off.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I simply replaced the UCA ball joint only with a greasable MOOG problem solver bj when I installed my lift. It is a little stronger then the OEM one and AFAIK does not max out range of motion. I have had no trouble with it for 50k miles.

That being said There are also adjustable BJ's that are around $100 a piece that are designed for a lift and allow for extra range of motion. That could be another lower budget solution as well.

I will go with this option if my MOOG BJ starts showing signs of wear.

http://www.spcalignment.com/partFAQ/23420_FAQ.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-Company-23410-Adjustable/dp/B000SHYXTO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1527032254&sr=8-13&keywords=jeep+commander+ball+joints

https://www.amazon.com/SPC-23420-Adjustable-Ball-Joint/dp/B0764H5WSW

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes, you need the JBA upper control arms. I just got some. When I first put my Rough Country 2" lift on I didn't have a bad angle on the ball joint but now it has gotten worse. I'm not going to take a chance as it's not worth it. I'd rather spend the $450 because it's a lot cheaper than having your wheel fall off.
I disagree that aftermarket A arms are absolutely necessary for this particular instance. However running the original stock ball joints that are likely already worn out with a lift and beating them up offroad seems like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I disagree that aftermarket A arms are absolutely necessary for this particular instance. However running the original stock ball joints that are likely already worn out with a lift and beating them up offroad seems like a recipe for disaster.
What about original ball joints that have only 52,000miles on them and very mild off-roading (dirt roads, sometimes)?

I just left the XK to change the tires and re-align, so I'd rather not have to go back to the shop very soon.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What about original ball joints that have only 52,000miles on them and very mild off-roading (dirt roads, sometimes)?

I just left the XK to change the tires and re-align, so I'd rather not have to go back to the shop very soon.
You should be fine for awhile. If you were over 100k id say change it now.

Mine were worn out at 95k when i installed the lift.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
The lift puts an unnatural angle on the ball joint and causes constant pressure on it. I have seen too many photos of broken OEM ball joints with wheels and tires laying on the ground. Personally, I feel safer having the upgraded a-arms, but to each his own.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The lift puts an unnatural angle on the ball joint and causes constant pressure on it. I have seen too many photos of broken OEM ball joints with wheels and tires laying on the ground. Personally, I feel safer having the upgraded a-arms, but to each his own.
So like four then?

It's extremely uncommon.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Rocky-Road also has an option for about $50 less. I'll likely go that route once I get my lift.
That might be the case but what kind of customer service can you expect from them?

I had my XK in for a oil change about 2 months ago and I had my mechanic check out an occasional clunk I was hearing at the driver's side front end from the vicinity of the front wheel. Turns out that one of the bushings in my 1 yr old JBA UCA's was making the clunk and my mechanic recommended replacing it.

I got in touch with Marlin Gehman over at JBA and he actually sent me a new set of JBA UCA's - instead of just the one that I asked for at no charge - he only asked that I mail the old ones back to him - and he even pre-paid for the shipping.

I don't think you will get that kind of customer support from Rocky Road Outfitters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That might be the case but what kind of customer service can you expect from them?

I had my XK in for a oil change about 2 months ago and I had my mechanic check out an occasional clunk I was hearing at the driver's side front end from the vicinity of the front wheel. Turns out that one of the bushings in my 1 yr old JBA UCA's was making the clunk and my mechanic recommended replacing it.

I got in touch with Marlin Gehman over at JBA and he actually sent me a new set of JBA UCA's - instead of just the one that I asked for at no charge - he only asked that I mail the old ones back to him - and he even pre-paid for the shipping.

I don't think you will get that kind of customer support from Rocky Road Outfitters.
Blue, I think you are right on this one. After this post, I started my research across the inter-webs and almost everything I have read so far has been that their UCAs are comparable, but RRO has some a higher rate of premature failure due to inferior quality bushings and even initial fitment issues.

Unless there is a massive conspiracy to discredit RRO, the general consensus is that JBAs tend to fit like an OEM part while RRO's finish can be questionable (i.e. they'll have one batch go out without any problems, but the next will all have issues). I wish I would have done more research before pulling the trigger last Friday on the RRO (the el-cheap factor bites me again) - if they're good I'll stick with them otherwise I might end up shipping them back and spending the extra little bit on JBA.

Bonus points, JBAs come in red which can be clearly seen and adds 10hp.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Blue, I think you are right on this one. After this post, I started my research across the inter-webs and almost everything I have read so far has been that their UCAs are comparable, but RRO has some a higher rate of premature failure due to inferior quality bushings and even initial fitment issues.

Unless there is a massive conspiracy to discredit RRO, the general consensus is that JBAs tend to fit like an OEM part while RRO's finish can be questionable (i.e. they'll have one batch go out without any problems, but the next will all have issues). I wish I would have done more research before pulling the trigger last Friday on the RRO (the el-cheap factor bites me again) - if they're good I'll stick with them otherwise I might end up shipping them back and spending the extra little bit on JBA.

Bonus points, JBAs come in red which can be clearly seen and adds 10hp.
LOL, definitely true about the clearly seen part.....I wish the 10HP thing were true.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I too have been looking at them for a purchase. Another point to make is that the RRO arms say that they are only good up to 2.75" of lift while the JBA arms are rated up to 4" without binding.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm buying them simply for the HP increase alone.

With the stock UCA the knuckle comes in contact with the lower spring seat. Looks it's the best option albeit over priced.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I'm buying them simply for the HP increase alone.

With the stock UCA the knuckle comes in contact with the lower spring seat. Looks it's the best option albeit over priced.

I knew you'd come around.....:wink3:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I knew you'd come around.....:wink3:
Yeah, I abandoned the adjustable UCA ball joint as it won't do what I need.

I am concerned about camber though since I currently have a enough positive camber that installing the JBA will make it worse.

The front bolt on the LCA looks like it will never move but, I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to find someone to do a proper alignment like, dare I say, the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Yeah, I abandoned the adjustable UCA ball joint as it won't do what I need.

I am concerned about camber though since I currently have a enough positive camber that installing the JBA will make it worse.

The front bolt on the LCA looks like it will never move but, I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to find someone to do a proper alignment like, dare I say, the dealer.

You might consider looking for a good 4x4 / truck shop if you have one in your area.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts