Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watch the series on YouTube Expedition Overland? It's about a few guys, even spouses sometimes, taking their rigs all over; unfortunately, they're Toyota's and not Jeep's lol. There's another channel of a guy who just straight up lives in his wrangler.

It is a fascinating show and I often find myself feeling extremely jealous of their adventures, probably because my day to day is ridiculously busy.

Alas, after some heavy thinking and a serious discussion with the wifey, I've decided to take the commander on my first serious camping trip this summer with my 4 yo boy and two dogs on a 4-5 day trip up the CA coast and down through the mountains. Not really overland but a step in the right direction.

Now to get BadJuju all rigged up!!

What are your overland/camping plans?
What are your overland/camping experiences in the Commander?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've taken mine out to a few different places, like Oceano Dunes and Hollister Hills SVRA in California. I always sleep in the back of my Commander with my dog, and there's plenty of room for both of us with an ice chest and a couple bags. Nobody else in my group can manage that with their Wranglers and Toyotas.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've taken mine out to a few different places, like Oceano Dunes and Hollister Hills OHV in California. I always sleep in the back of my Commander with my dog, and there's plenty of room for both of us with an ice chest and a couple bags. Nobody else in my group can manage that with their Wranglers and Toyotas.
That’s cool! I’m not too far from Hollister so I gotta check that out.

Once I can afford it I’m really thinking of getting a rooftop tent. Also thinking of getting a trailer for all the gear like Big Blue.

Also came up on some free 285/70/75’s today. I know they don’t fit but it has the mind wondering...😆

·
Registered
480 Posts
That’s cool! I’m not too far from Hollister so I gotta check that out.

Once I can afford it I’m really thinking of getting a rooftop tent. Also thinking of getting a trailer for all the gear like Big Blue.

Also came up on some free 285/70/75’s today. I know they don’t fit but it has the mind wondering...😆
It's a fun park, and you should be able to get through a lot of obstacles with only a 2" lift. Jungle is one of the more difficult trails I've run and you'll need to expect paint damage if you run it. Also definitely don't run it alone. But you should be able to get through most blue roads on the map.

I would gamble on 285/70s, personally. I was able to fit 265/70R18s on an RC lift with minor rubbing after trimming my wheel liners, and a 285/70R17 is only a bit larger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone watch the series on YouTube Expedition Overland? It's about a few guys, even spouses sometimes, taking their rigs all over; unfortunately, they're Toyota's and not Jeep's lol. There's another channel of a guy who just straight up lives in his wrangler.

It is a fascinating show and I often find myself feeling extremely jealous of their adventures, probably because my day to day is ridiculously busy.

Alas, after some heavy thinking and a serious discussion with the wifey, I've decided to take the commander on my first serious camping trip this summer with my 4 yo boy and two dogs on a 4-5 day trip up the CA coast and down through the mountains. Not really overland but a step in the right direction.

Now to get BadJuju all rigged up!!

What are your overland/camping plans?
What are your overland/camping experiences in the Commander?
It’s a great show, I’ve been watching them since I believe their second expedition. Good on them for finally getting sponsored and making a business out of their passions, however, a lot of their new content now seems to be a Toyota, WARN, Equipt, ARB, etc commercial. A lot of the trips they’ve taken lately I bet could have just as easily, albeit in a more involved way, accomplished with a pop-up tent and a $20 Walmart cooler.

The IamJake guy you’re referring too can be entertaining as well, I mostly watch him for the pupper he carries around. I enjoy his thirst for knowledge, adventure and the fact that he doesn’t make himself an elitest. He seems to be genuinely at the mercy of his fellow Jeepers and repair shops.

I’ve yet to take the Commander out on anything too too technical, however, I did take my Xterra on quite a few adventures. It has open diffs but what Nissan referred to as a ABLS (Active braking locking diffs i.e. the computer detects wheel slippage and brakes the slipping tire so the tire with traction can get you unstuck). Despite having a longer wheel base, I’d feel more confident with this QD-II system than I did in the Xterra, which says a lot.... cause I took that thing to extremes and it never missed a beat.

In terms of plans, none yet. Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a fun park, and you should be able to get through a lot of obstacles with only a 2" lift. Jungle is one of the more difficult trails I've run and you'll need to expect paint damage if you run it. Also definitely don't run it alone. But you should be able to get through most blue roads on the map.

I would gamble on 285/70s, personally. I was able to fit 265/70R18s on an RC lift with minor rubbing after trimming my wheel liners, and a 285/70R17 is only a bit larger.
Interesting...once I get the lift and spacers installed I'll take it all to a shop that can give me an in-person assessment. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a great show, I’ve been watching them since I believe their second expedition. Good on them for finally getting sponsored and making a business out of their passions, however, a lot of their new content now seems to be a Toyota, WARN, Equipt, ARB, etc commercial. A lot of the trips they’ve taken lately I bet could have just as easily, albeit in a more involved way, accomplished with a pop-up tent and a $20 Walmart cooler.

The IamJake guy you’re referring too can be entertaining as well, I mostly watch him for the pupper he carries around. I enjoy his thirst for knowledge, adventure and the fact that he doesn’t make himself an elitest. He seems to be genuinely at the mercy of his fellow Jeepers and repair shops.

I’ve yet to take the Commander out on anything too too technical, however, I did take my Xterra on quite a few adventures. It has open diffs but what Nissan referred to as a ABLS (Active braking locking diffs i.e. the computer detects wheel slippage and brakes the slipping tire so the tire with traction can get you unstuck). Despite having a longer wheel base, I’d feel more confident with this QD-II system than I did in the Xterra, which says a lot.... cause I took that thing to extremes and it never missed a beat.

In terms of plans, none yet 😞 Hopefully soon!
It's true the show has a lot more commercialization and stuff, still it is entertaining. Too bad there isn't one centered around Jeeps, or at least I haven't seen it yet. Funny you mention that about the Xterra because I almost got that before deciding on the Commander lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's true the show has a lot more commercialization and stuff, still it is entertaining. Too bad there isn't one centered around Jeeps, or at least I haven't seen it yet. Funny you mention that about the Xterra because I almost got that before deciding on the Commander lol
It's one heck of a rig, but the Commander has so many more creature comforts. About a year ago when shopping for a car my wife felt the Commander was too big for her, so we settled on the X. I sold my G35 and picked up the Commander about a month ago because I needed a capable rig and was tired of fighting her for the keys to the X.

I still have what I call "Wrangler Envy" because I really wish I could afford a Wrangler or that other vehicles had such a supported aftermarket. I supposed that's why I partially it doesn't hurt that Jeep doesn't also have a series such as Expedition Overland. There's plenty of Wrangler and Cherokee XJ entertainment on YT though. Not much on the Commander unfortunately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To be completely honest, I've been "overlanding" in my Commander for the past two years. I haven't had a "house" since Sept. of 16. My work requires me to travel so much on short notice I got tired of expelling so much for hotel rooms...

The XK, in my opinion is the cats a$* for "overlanding"...

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't be jealous......just do what you honestly really want to do! The "only" thing holding you back is the fear of "what might come of it?"...

But then when you do, it's soooo rewarding...trust me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't be jealous......just do what you honestly really want to do! The "only" thing holding you back is the fear of "what might come of it?"...

But then when you do, it's soooo rewarding...trust me.

Ha, very true.

Will be going out with my 4yo son in mid June, should be fun! Gonna try and get a rooftop tent before hand! Also thinking about getting a trailer, just not sure if I can spring the $ for it.

Planning on a 3 day trip - what are your essentials for a short trip like this?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ha, very true.

Will be going out with my 4yo son in mid June, should be fun! Gonna try and get a rooftop tent before hand! Also thinking about getting a trailer, just not sure if I can spring the $ for it.

Planning on a 3 day trip - what are your essentials for a short trip like this?
I always carry a wide variety of tools on my trips. I have a full set of sockets, a bottle jack/jack stand combo, a mallet, and a few other miscellaneous tools pretty much at all times so that if I run into any problems, I'm not SOL.

I also tend to carry a case or two of water; it's better to have more than enough water than to run out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
To be completely honest, I've been "overlanding" in my Commander for the past two years. I haven't had a "house" since Sept. of 16. My work requires me to travel so much on short notice I got tired of expelling so much for hotel rooms...

The XK, in my opinion is the cats a$* for "overlanding"...

Hey brother, I appreciate your contribution to the thread and the pics - but I edited your post slightly - PLEASE refrain from posting profanity on the forum, I'm pretty sure this is the 2nd time I've had this conversation with you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey brother, I appreciate your contribution to the thread and the pics - but I edited your post slightly - PLEASE refrain from posting profanity on the forum, I'm pretty sure this is the 2nd time I've had this conversation with you.
Oh, I apologize...it just slips sometimes. I'll do my best not to let it happen again..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I’ve been really thinking about the discontinued production the commander. In watching these overland videos, I feel like the commander should have been what the land cruiser is. I feel like jeep and Toyota have almost similar model capabilities bit with the land cruiser now, Jeep doesn’t have as comparison.

It’s a shame really, and I know people have their opinions on it all. I just think it’s a shame and with a couple tweaks, the commander would have able to live up to its namesake.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Man, I’ve been really thinking about the discontinued production the commander. In watching these overland videos, I feel like the commander should have been what the land cruiser is. I feel like jeep and Toyota have almost similar model capabilities bit with the land cruiser now, Jeep doesn’t have as comparison.

It’s a shame really, and I know people have their opinions on it all. I just think it’s a shame and with a couple tweaks, the commander would have able to live up to its namesake.
If the Commanders came from the factory with a 2 inch lift and 265/70/17 tires, I can almost guarantee you that the XK - or some variation of it would still be in production today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts