Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove it earlier in the day and it started fine. Started it again after that and it didn't turn over the first time, figured maybe I just didnt turn the key far enough. Tried again and it started. Drove it a 3rd time and everything was fine. Try to drive it a 4th time and it won't do anything. Doesn't even try to turn over. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine did the same thing last winter. The wires at the starter get corroded and do not make a good ground. Just clean them good and reinstall them. Mine is a 3.7 motor. A lot of commanders have this problem

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Yes, and most important disconnect the battery before doing this. It is typically the yellow spaded wire. You can also replace the battery harness entirely. Google this for how to videos.

Mine had the above problem as a second issue. The 1st issue was that my starter failed internal short. That issue kept blowing fuses immediately when trying to engage the starter. Check your fuses to see which way to go. Many folks replace the starter unnecessarily with the symptoms the OP described.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had this same issue a few weeks back. Like the other have said it turned out to be the yellow wire going to the starter. I pushed mine in with a stick and it's been fine since. Once we get some warmer weather I think I'll replace that wire/harness.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had this same issue a few weeks back. Like the other have said it turned out to be the yellow wire going to the starter. I pushed mine in with a stick and it's been fine since. Once we get some warmer weather I think I'll replace that wire/harness.
Well mine is apparently showing some kind of 2100 code and was told its something with the BCM.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recommend you disconnect the battery, and test the starter wire theory. It really is a very common problem. After cleaning/adjusting the yellow wire, leave your battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes. This will reset your PCM so that the check engine light goes off. At least you can eliminate something. If the engine light goes off again, you know that wasn’t the issue. Also, do you know about the “key dance” to read your own codes?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recommend you disconnect the battery, and test the starter wire theory. It really is a very common problem. After cleaning/adjusting the yellow wire, leave your battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes. This will reset your PCM so that the check engine light goes off. At least you can eliminate something. If the engine light goes off again, you know that wasn’t the issue. Also, do you know about the “key dance” to read your own codes?
No, I don't know the key dance. But the place I took the Jeep called me and told me they can't recreated the problem and its starting up every time for them. I asked them about the wiring and they said everything looks good. I didn't specify a yellow wire but will ask them about that specifically when I talk to them again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts