6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link to the bolt pattern reference. But I guess I am a noob and am getting myself confused.

What is the difference between the commander " 127 High Positive Offset" vs the "127 Medium Offset" on the wranglers? My Commander wheels finish is looking pretty rough and I ran across 5x 2011 Wrangler unlimited wheels for under $100. Not sure if the offset would be a problem. I have no lift or spacers. Curious as to what those offset differences would be. Trying for a cheap solution for better wheels. Both wheels show 17x7.5. Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What is the difference between the commander " 127 High Positive Offset" vs the "127 Medium Offset" on the wranglers? My Commander wheels finish is looking pretty rough and I ran across 5x 2011 Wrangler unlimited wheels for under $100. Not sure if the offset would be a problem. I have no lift or spacers. Curious as to what those offset differences would be. Trying for a cheap solution for better wheels. Both wheels show 17x7.5. Thanks.
The difference in offset is nearly negligible, as stock JK wheels have 44mm of offset and XK wheels have 47mm of offset. This quarter inch difference should be no problem. However, you may or may not be able to fit the Wrangler wheels without a spacer; XKs have a very large caliper that can interfere with certain designs of 17" wheels, including JK wheels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The difference in offset is nearly negligible, as stock JK wheels have 44mm of offset and XK wheels have 47mm of offset. This quarter inch difference should be no problem. However, you may or may not be able to fit the Wrangler wheels without a spacer; XKs have a very large caliper that can interfere with certain designs of 17" wheels, including JK wheels.
Thanks. I went and took a look at them. They were in very good condition, far better than my stock wheels, so I brought them home. When it is time for my tires I will just see if they are going to work. For $90 I at least should be able to get my money back if they do not work.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I went and took a look at them. They were in very good condition, far better than my stock wheels, so I brought them home. When it is time for my tires I will just see if they are going to work. For $90 I at least should be able to get my money back if they do not work.
Worst case scenario you won't have any trouble getting your money back - you might even stand to make a little extra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2011 JK's

I thought I had taken more pics but I can't find them. They just cleared the calipers without spacers. 245/65-17 Pirelli Scorpion Verde's.
Look nice on it I think.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the lift

I also had new quick struts put on the front and front wheel bearings. Changed out front and rear diff fluids too. Jeep is riding great again. No more metal on metal sounds that my stereo could no longer hide. I think it may need rear wheel assemblies but my guy said to try the rear fluid change first.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
A little update. I had the driver rear wheel come loose (3 lugs were able to be spun with my fingers) on my wife last Friday. I watched the installers torque them all down, then a 2nd guy recheck all of them. I failed to recheck torque after 50 miles like I usually do.

The shop (owner is a friend of mine) wondered if the hub size for the JK wheel was smaller than the XK and had me take off a wheel ( I live an hour away and it was over the weekend) to see if the wheel had wallowed out or if there were any rub marks. I found no rub marks on the wheel or the hub. I had purchased some little 1/4" spacers in case the wheels touched the calipers and tried them after cleaning the mounting surfaces of the hubs and wheels. I am only getting 4 full turns on the lug nuts with the spacers before hitting 100lb torque with my wrench. I plan to take the wheels off tomorrow and remove the spacers to see how many turns I can get without the spacers. I also have new lug nuts coming in case my originals are worn. I don't feel comfortable with that few turns on the studs. Anyone else run into this?

http://wordpress.sdappel.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/IMG_2357.jpg

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A little update. I had the driver rear wheel come loose (3 lugs were able to be spun with my fingers) on my wife last Friday. I watched the installers torque them all down, then a 2nd guy recheck all of them. I failed to recheck torque after 50 miles like I usually do.

The shop (owner is a friend of mine) wondered if the hub size for the JK wheel was smaller than the XK and had me take off a wheel ( I live an hour away and it was over the weekend) to see if the wheel had wallowed out or if there were any rub marks. I found no rub marks on the wheel or the hub. I had purchased some little 1/4" spacers in case the wheels touched the calipers and tried them after cleaning the mounting surfaces of the hubs and wheels. I am only getting 4 full turns on the lug nuts with the spacers before hitting 100lb torque with my wrench. I plan to take the wheels off tomorrow and remove the spacers to see how many turns I can get without the spacers. I also have new lug nuts coming in case my originals are worn. I don't feel comfortable with that few turns on the studs. Anyone else run into this?

http://wordpress.sdappel.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/IMG_2357.jpg
A couple of things;

If three of your lug nuts worked themselves loose, you definitely have a large problem - in 32 years of driving, that has never happened to me with any vehicle I've owned.

2nd, I've never heard of anybody buying & running 1/4 inch wheel spacers, that was definitely a bad decision on your part and you put you & your wife's safety at risk unnecessarily.

You should take them off immediately, right now, if you haven't done it already.

Wheel spacers are a very weak link, particularly on a 4x4 and although Spider-Trax spacers have proven to be pretty reliable, I wouldn't recommend running any wheel spacers whatsoever, if you can avoid it.

I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find someone that has had an experience like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. I took them off. I wasn't comfortable with them at all. Life got in the way and I kept forgetting to come back with an update.

I was still having trouble so I bought new lug nuts all around. I checked at 50 miles, a few needed a tiny little tightening. I checked at 200 miles and all were still good. I occasionally check them if I am out doing yard work and the like and they are still all tight. Seems like maybe the lugs were just worn. All good now!

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. I took them off. I wasn't comfortable with them at all. Life got in the way and I kept forgetting to come back with an update.

I was still having trouble so I bought new lug nuts all around. I checked at 50 miles, a few needed a tiny little tightening. I checked at 200 miles and all were still good. I occasionally check them if I am out doing yard work and the like and they are still all tight. Seems like maybe the lugs were just worn. All good now!
@therym;

I remember you said you were running 1/4 inch wheel spacers - are you also running something other than the factory rims?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts