Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there again.
First off let me mention that I have not gone to the dealership to see if I can find the clips that I need. Second off I have looked on the Mopar website and came up empty handed. I have also looked on Chrysler parts . com and didn't have any luck there.
My Jeep was rear ended in a hit and run accident. I replaced the damaged bumper cover with a used one from the junkyard. I am having to do some minor cosmetic work on it with the paint. Anyhow, my issue is with the retaining clips that hold it together. I have the main ones that I need but there are a few that I can't seem to locate. I'll do my best to describe them. The clips in question go to the bottom of the flare that connects to the rear doors. There is a plastic piece that goes under the flare that has rubber weather guard on it to prevent water and mud from getting inside the flare. Anyhow the underneath part needs a type of flat head clip due to going flush up against the rubber weather guard strip. I won't be able to connect the flare securely due to not having the right clips. The other clips are just the plastic rivets and the standard rectangular push clips. I'll post a few pictures to see if that helps out.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully this may help.
Any chance you have the page right before this one? It should list item number 4.
The part numbers listed I have. The clips I need are a little different. Unfortunately I don't have the original clips to show how they are. Thank you again for your help on this

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any chance you have the page right before this one? It should list item number 4.
The part numbers listed I have. The clips I need are a little different. Unfortunately I don't have the original clips to show how they are. Thank you again for your help on this
Here is the previous page

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the links and the help but it's the same as what I have come up with. The actual fasteners that I need are not listed. I'll upload a few images to show better what I mean. Blue have you ever had to take the flares off your rear doors? Anyhow. I'll post an image of the underneath of the flare.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The flare is two parts and I apologize before hand if I don't call them by their proper name. The inner flare support and weatherstrip also connects to the bottom of the outer door flare. All the clips I have seen will go into the weatherstrip and break it down over time. The weatherstrip shows no sign of touching anything that would stress it out over time. Her is another photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a close up of the inside where the clip would go. I don't see any sign of abrasion that would show a plastic rivet touching the rubber. While at the junkyard I was more concerned with getting the parts off. My brother - the mechanic- insists they are a flat top clip so they don't tear into the rubber. I don't seem to have any of the old clips to go by. The original door flare was tore off in the accident and left with the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just snapped these for you.
You need 3 separate parts. 1/4 inch and 5MM Nylon rivets and the other clip pictured here. All I have is Wurth part numbers. Because that is my supplier.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just snapped these for you.
You need 3 separate parts. 1/4 inch and 5MM Nylon rivets and the other clip pictured here. All I have is Wurth part numbers. Because that is my supplier.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text
Hi, yes those are for the main areas and those clips I already have. The ones I need are for the bottom. They have a flat head on them. Just so they don't rub up against the rubber weatherstrip inside of the flare.

We are just going to customize the clips so that it keeps the mud and such out of the flares.

Thank you Spraygun

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
You could stop by a body repair shop or dealer with your Commander and trim piece and see if they have the clips.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi, yes those are for the main areas and those clips I already have. The ones I need are for the bottom. They have a flat head on them. Just so they don't rub up against the rubber weatherstrip inside of the flare.

We are just going to customize the clips so that it keeps the mud and such out of the flares.

Thank you Spraygun
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; I'm 99.5% sure that these are the fasteners that go in the bottom of those fender flares that you're calling clips; They're actually rivets and they WILL have a Flat Head, once you hit the rivet in flush with a hammer; They are circled in red in the below pic of the .PDF

Here is a link to order them;

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/RIVET-Blind-Expansion-R-Lok--M625x28-Export--Front--Left--Rear--Right/4320696/06500911.html

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/RIVET-Blind-Expansion-R-Lok--M625x28-Export--Front--Left--Rear--Right/4320696/06500911.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; I'm 99.5% sure that these are the fasteners that go in the bottom of those fender flares that you're calling clips; They're actually rivets and they WILL have a Flat Head, once you hit the rivet in flush with a hammer; They are circled in red in the below pic of the .PDF

Here is a link to order them;

Today I'll be doing what I can to finish the body work on the new flare. It still needs to be sanded some more and then painted. I'm leaving both door flares off until the right side is completed. It's tolerable with both door flares off verses having the one on the left on and the right one off. Plus if the weather holds good I'll be doing other things on it. I'll post more on it all as I do more. I appreciate everyone's help on this. Yes I have called them clips and forget that I'm probably the only one that lumps them all together. I have driven a couple people crazy about all this but that's about how I feel from it. Anyhow Have a wonderful day and I'll post more later
:laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Today I'll be doing what I can to finish the body work on the new flare. It still needs to be sanded some more and then painted. I'm leaving both door flares off until the right side is completed. It's tolerable with both door flares off verses having the one on the left on and the right one off. Plus if the weather holds good I'll be doing other things on it. I'll post more on it all as I do more. I appreciate everyone's help on this. Yes I have called them clips and forget that I'm probably the only one that lumps them all together. I have driven a couple people crazy about all this but that's about how I feel from it. Anyhow Have a wonderful day and I'll post more later
:laugh2:
Jerry; Do you agree or disagree that these are the correct fasteners pertaining to what you've been asking about? If not, then I have no earthly idea what you're referring to.

I'll tell you one thing, when I get home on December 6th, I'm damn sure going to crawl under my XK and look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jerry; Do you agree or disagree that these are the correct fasteners pertaining to what you've been asking about? If not, then I have no earthly idea what you're referring to.
Big Blue, from what I have researched and have been told. Those clips are supposed to work. I can't help that what I see and what I'm told are two different things. That's why later this morning when it warms up I'll be checking it out more. I know that so many people have directed me to the very ones in the photos but honestly I don't see how those will work with the door flares. That's why I mentioned I would take more photos to show my concern. I can't seem to locate the original broken clips from my XK or the fasteners that I took off from the XK at the junkyard. Yes the clips would not be good to reuse but I would be able to take photos to post. Until then I will continue to work on repairing the right side door flare. I also have to repair the paint and clear coat on the bumper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts