Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to the community and wanted to post about my problems with my commander.
I have a 2006 commander limited 5.7.
my hydraulic cooling fan was only running 100 to 500 rpm because the solenoid was not engaging. I replaced the power steering pump, power steering lines, coolant temp sensor, solenoid, whole fan assembly, fcm, tipm. After replacing all of this my solenoid was still not engaging. I used an autel 708 to manually engage the solenoid for the cooling fan and it worked so the pcm, fcm and tipm was functioning. I then proceeded to reset all computers with the autel and when I was resetting the pcm it gave me an error halfway through that it could not reset.
I have been at a loss for 3 months.
I finally decided to buy a universal thermostat, run one terminal grounded to the frame and the other terminal i tapped into the middle wire that was not hot or ground. It Worked like a charm. When it reached temp it completed the ground circuit and engaged the solenoid.
no more overheating and my next step is to connect a relay to the same wire and ac compressor relay it will engage when my ac is turned on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's cool you found a solution and your Jeep isn't overheating anymore. Is your fan running at full blast though? I don't think I could live with mine sounding like there's a Cessna hiding under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only runs full blast when the temp reaches 200 Degrees and if I get my pcm reset and find the real reason for the fcm not controlling the solenoid properly I dont have to make any drastic changes to what I did.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you put in a cooler thermostat to give yourself a little more buffer? You seem knowledgeable, you probably already did that but it seemed worth mentioning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you put in a cooler thermostat to give yourself a little more buffer? You seem knowledgeable, you probably already did that but it seemed worth mentioning.
I was going to button would lose a lot of gas mileage running the engine cooler. The best gas mileage and running conditions of the 5.7 is a 203 degree thermostat. I used the mopar oe and used a universal 185 degree thermostat connected to the open wire. I put the thermostat on the inside of the radiator between the edge of the shroud where there was the least amount of air passthrough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts