Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jeep Commander mentioned in US news &world report

Saw this article today on Yahoo and wanted to share it. They talked about
Hummer and other SUVs along with struggling sales. Here is what they said about our favorite Jeep.

from
U.S.News & World Report
Cars Hurt Most by $4 Gas

Jeep Commander. That thing got a Hemi? Better hope not. The big V-8 engine was a hit back when gas was $1.50, but sales of the Commander--city mileage with the optional Hemi: 13 mpg--have plummeted 48 percent so far this year. Other SUVs are in bad shape, too. Sales of virtually every midsize SUV have fallen by double digits, and there's now such a glut that some dealers won't even accept an SUV as a trade-in.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just because the commander gets bad gas mileage doesnt mean its not a good vehicle. I dont know of any vehicle out there that gets good gas mileage besides gay prius' and honda civics. Oh yeah they have those smart cars toooo. Id love to rear end one of them and see it crush like a pop can! Haha

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
07JeepXK said:
Oh yeah they have those smart cars toooo. Id love to rear end one of them and see it crush like a pop can! Haha
It is far safer than you give it credit for. Just because it is small does not mean it will crush, it has a tridium saftey cell (nascar type roll cage).
Here is an interesting story: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/personal-crash-test-8069/
Or this one that was rear ended: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/smart-car-rear-ended-5518/

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would think twice about buying a Commander now. I looked at trading in for a Liberty and the dealer only offered me $13K for mine. I thought wholesale trade in should of been at least $16K. This is as bad as the 70's when you couldn't give the big cars away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
walkjon said:
I would think twice about buying a Commander now. I looked at trading in for a Liberty and the dealer only offered me $13K for mine. I thought wholesale trade in should of been at least $16K. This is as bad as the 70's when you couldn't give the big cars away.

Be prepared to be eaten alive by the vultures around here after making this statement.

I tried to make a similar statement for any potential buyers who may be visiting the site and have since been crucified.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Rant warning: rant ahead...

Buy the vehicle that's most appropriate for your needs. If you have a large family or need to tow, then an SUV is a decent choice. If you commute 50+ miles per day each way, buy a comfy but economical commuter car. If you have both needs, then each person should use the appropriate vehicle.

As far as gas and mileage goes, there's a reason the government mandates the mileage number be listed on the window sticker on a new car. If you own a vehicle that gets bad mileage, and you complain about it, then you seriously need to take a good long look in the mirror at Captain Obvious staring back at you. I'm so tired of hearing people complain about how our trucks get crappy mileage and that the resale value sucks. News flash: the resale or trade value of ANY USED CAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Anything with a motor that burns fuel and is used on a regular basis is going to lose value. Any vehicle that weighs ~5,000 lbs, has permanent 4WD and has (mostly) a V8 engine is going to get mediocre mileage. Want mileage, buy a Civic or Prius, but don't expect me to bail you out of a snowdrift when you get stuck. Want capability, buy an SUV like ours, but don't expect me to listen to you complain about the bad mileage of your vehicle. Complaining about lack of engine choices (i.e.: diesels) will be tolerated but only for a short time.

In short, you bought your ticket, now you get to ride the ride. Don't complain that its the wrong ride after you've sat down and its started, there's no turning back at that point.

Rant over, now returning to our original thread...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I knew what I was buying, funny thing is I didn't care. My Commander rocks!! I traded a Jetta getting 27+ MPG. I have dogs, go camping, fishing etc etc. My commute is short anyhow. Next month it will be short enough to bike it so who cares. (3/4 miles)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank you RW! I agree with your rant! I have allways "lost" money trading my cars in. But sometimes we all gotta vent a little. -43:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
my lease isnt up until feb and im already thinking about getting a grand cherokee. really never used the 3rd row in this beast in the 2 years ive had it, heh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
Rant warning: rant ahead...
In short, you bought your ticket, now you get to ride the ride. Don't complain that its the wrong ride after you've sat down and its started, there's no turning back at that point.

Rant over, now returning to our original thread...
NOW, since I'm a the son of a Southern Baptist preacher, and proud of it, I say this-----AAAAAAAAAMEN, preach it Brother, preach it!!
:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
bossk said:
my lease isnt up until feb and im already thinking about getting a grand cherokee. really never used the 3rd row in this beast in the 2 years ive had it, heh.
Does the Grand Cherokee get much better mileage???

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have to have a car that is not older than 3 years old due to my job. I plan on either getting another (this time loaded) Commander or possibly seeing what kind of deal I can work on an SRT-8 GC. Damn the gas prices!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Buy the vehicle that's most appropriate for your needs. If you have a large family or need to tow, then an SUV is a decent choice. If you commute 50+ miles per day each way, buy a comfy but economical commuter car. If you have both needs, then each person should use the appropriate vehicle.
I agree. I've never bought cars based on "cool factor" - I take that back. I once bought the first V8 T-top Mustang in the DC area. Learned my lesson on that one....

Any vehicle that is as capable as the Commander, both for going when the going gets tough, hauling cargo, hauling people and hauling trailers is not going to get good mileage - those "demands" on the vehicle consume fuel - physics plain and simple. Haul my 6500 lb trailer with a Prius? Don't think so. Pick 'em up truck? Heavier, longer and the same or worse mileage. I think for the package of capabilities that the Commander provides, you won't find a better deal. There will always be a market for the vehicles that can provide these types of uses.

Unfortunately, right now, we are seeing the usual non-thinking, knee-jerk reaction from most everyone in the news media. If it bleeds it leads. Just because a lot of the liberals would like to see us "go green" and drive micro-boxes and use public transportation, it won't happen. Green is nice, but, can't and won't ever be universal. There will always be a need for "hauling" and doing it in all kinds of weather and conditions. The market will settle down and thin out...what we probably won't be seeing as much of is the "glitzy" SUVs and Pickups (I won't mention brands, don't want to step on anyone ;) ), but, you know the ones - all show and won't ever be caught dead off-road or hauling a load of manure in the bed :eek: .

Hopefully, the Commander won't be seen as falling into that group, but, my gut feeling is that it will. I bought mine to do a job and what a job it does. I'm happy with the mileage paid for what I'm getting - rides great with 7 people. Handles good for the size and weight. Hauls a ton (well actually, 3.5 tons), goes in virtually any terrain in stock trim. Equally at home downtown as out at my farm hauling a manure trailer. What more could I want? Don't want to trade (bet you were wondering if I'd ever tie this rant to the thread :rolleyes: ) and equally glad the mileage isn't worse! I buy 'em to do a job and keep 'em till they won't do it anymore. As my 38 year old son says, "That Commander rocks!" I've also got a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado...you want to talk mileage for value received? That car is the ultimate of "in your face" consumption :D

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I will add my agreement that the Commander is the right vehicle for me too. The gas mileage sucks but I knew that when I purchased the vehicle and I need the vehicle for all the things it can do that a smaller vehicle cannot. I have no plans of selling ir trading it in so I do not get worked up over it's current value. oh, I paid cash so have no balance.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
It is far safer than you give it credit for. Just because it is small does not mean it will crush, it has a tridium saftey cell (nascar type roll cage).

I'm a Traffic Accident Investigator I think I know what im talking about!

BTW I absolutely love my commander and wouldnt trade it for any other vehicle even though I think a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 would look good in my drive way!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
07JeepXK said:
I'm a Traffic Accident Investigator I think I know what im talking about!
I am too, but I respectfully disagree.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/60538/smart_car_crash/

They might 'pop', but the physics involved in the frame allow for good crash protection. I don't care if my car does pop because when it does, that 'pop' transfers the engergy away from the occupents. I'm totally against the current IIHS ratings. They take into account the cost of repair in their data. The problem with that is yes, your bumper, core and other parts of the vehicle may have significant damage but that is because the energy is directed towards that and not the occupants. Just because a car weights 10,000 lbs doesn't mean it is safe. The energy has to transfer somewhere. If not in the vehicle it will transfer to the occupents. The issues is finding the medium where the transfer doesn't relate to a structural failure which impacts the occupents.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Interesting video. From the way the car handled the impact, both occupants could probably survive the wreck but would suffer a lot of shock from the impact. You're right about the energy from the impact needing to go somewhere, since that's what causes the majority of soft tissue and hidden injuries, and a lot of metal, if poorly engineered, won't direct that energy away from the occupants of the vehicle. Still, I prefer to have a little more "meat" around me, which is why I like the Commander and my BMW: I know that I'll have a more than fighting chance of walking away from an accident than not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts