Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has a factory stereo and has a pre-2007 model, there is a way to hookup your phone/iPod. iSimple makes an adapter kit which plugs into the back of your factory unit. It isn't cheap, I happened to get mine on amazon when it was on sale for $80.00, but it is worth it. Steering controls work with it and everything. I was able to place the wires were I liked so that they can be tucked in and out of sight when not being used. The only downside: the kit comes with an iPhone 4 connector, so if you plan to use an iPhone 5, 5s you will have to buy the lighting adapter.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have no idea about the aftermarket iPod connectors.

I can tell you to avoid the OEM or Mopar Accessory Connectors. Chrysler has NOT designed the system for easy updates, NOR have they been keeping the previous radio's and accessory connectors updated. So even though Chrysler continues to sell the accessory and advertise they are compatible with iPods, they are NOT if the iPod has had its firmware updated since that particular Chrysler radio/accessory was designed. Meaning many will NOT even work with iPods advertised that they will work with right out of the box, that was my experience when I bought and installed an iPod interface cable from Mopar Accessories for my Commander. The only solution that would make them work, is to retrofit an iPod to firmware that was several years old to get it to work.

For 5 years Chyrsler Customer Service continues to repeat, "They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix" and no fix has yet surfaced.

It seems iPod connection is a gimmick for selling new cars that Chrysler has no intention of actually supporting, within a year, when all your iPods/iPhones do an automatic update of firmware, none will every work with your Chrysler vehicle again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts