Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
Bought my Commander in 2011. It is a 2006 Hemi Limited 2wd. Had to replace to the engine in 2016 due to sludge... it was the first vehicle I took to the dealer for regular service so I was quite disappointed. Then again 1 year later. Yes, a second new engine.

For the past couple of years the key fob has not worked. I have bought two new keys and neither work. Once every 3-4 months they decide to work for a moment. I have to press the auto lock, manually unlock the driver door and then close it to disable to alarm, then open again and manually lock it. Otherwise, the alarm would go off. Yes... every time I get out of the car if I want to lock all the doors. Now the auto lock function does not work all the time. I even replaced the master power window switch, but that did not help. Also, the brake light works only sometimes. I have yet to figure out why. Yes I have replaced the bulb.

Anyway, I would love to be able to figure out these issues.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I've not heard of sludge on a Hemi before. 2.7, 3.7, and to a lesser extent 4.7 yes. Back in this time frame many manufacturer's had recalls for this including Toyota. I would recommend synthetic oil and stick to the Manufacturer's recommended oil change frequency. Do you drive shorter trips frequently?

Your electrical issues could be a corroded ground issue either on the switches or the modules. I would check all of your ground points. Verify that your vehicle has the recalls done. Some were related to the ignition. With my '08 I got all new FOB's and ignition switch. I don't think the '06 gets new fobs.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi All,
Bought my Commander in 2011. It is a 2006 Hemi Limited 2wd. Had to replace to the engine in 2016 due to sludge... it was the first vehicle I took to the dealer for regular service so I was quite disappointed. Then again 1 year later. Yes, a second new engine.

For the past couple of years the key fob has not worked. I have bought two new keys and neither work. Once every 3-4 months they decide to work for a moment. I have to press the auto lock, manually unlock the driver door and then close it to disable to alarm, then open again and manually lock it. Otherwise, the alarm would go off. Yes... every time I get out of the car if I want to lock all the doors. Now the auto lock function does not work all the time. I even replaced the master power window switch, but that did not help. Also, the brake light works only sometimes. I have yet to figure out why. Yes I have replaced the bulb.

Anyway, I would love to be able to figure out these issues.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott;

Welcome to the forum;

A couple of questions; Did you ever have the batteries replaced in your original key fobs?

2nd - if you ordered new Key Fobs, I'm pretty sure (not 100% sure) they have to be programmed at the dealer with your VIN number - did you look into that?

As far as the electrical gremlins you describe, you could have a ground/short somewhere and they can be difficult to run down - are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

Do you have a OBD-II scanner or code reader?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help!!!

I drive 4 miles to work. I bought used at 60K and took it to the dealer for oil changes. Then engine died at 110K... probably did not get enough oil changes at 5K-7K miles. The second engine blew a year later under warranty. That was two years ago. Aftermarket engine.

As for the electrical... I think I resolved most of these this weekend!!!!

I have a scanner, no codes except the fuel tank fault I got a few weeks ago when my fuel gauge was going from empty to full every couple of miles... this may have been due to the fuel cap not being tight.

Saturday I found the unlock button being intermittent was due to a wire that had been pinched in the door jamb. Spliced a new thicker wire to run through the door, and all seems good.

Sunday I decided to use an old cassette deck to test all my key fobs. The new keys I bought last year online were junk and my other one is also dead. Batteries and soldering did not help. So I took a leap of faith and bought a key fob online late Sunday to pick up at the local Batteries Plus shop Monday. They make you pay for programming. I figured if they cannot get it to work then they would refund. They also have a warranty, but at $200 it is not cheap... but it worked!!! So over a year without a FOB and now all is good. I thought I was going to have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer!

The brake light issue may be fixed. I bent the four contacts that touch the bulb. All has been good for 5 days.

Thanks for all the help and to this forum. Saved me a fortune and for now my Commander is back in business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts