Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
There's another member here, SkullHunter, who did a swap as well. Interested to see how your builds compare!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I swapped in everything that makes a SRT, not just the engine, to include transmisssion, transfer case, differentials, all suspension, brakes, interior components, etc. It also uses the factory SRT computers so no tuners. This truly is an SRT with a Commander body.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice man. How long did the process take? How much $$ did you pour into it (if you don’t mind me asking)? Are you satisfied with it? And videos on the build?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, no videos. It only took about 70 hours. I should mention I'm a mechanic by trade and had a lift. It really is fairly straight forward if you have a donor. I bought a rolled over one at a salvage auction. With that and purchasing some things that weren't useable, I have about $7k into it. That's not counting my labor of course. It definitely made it much easier starting with the right Commander donor however.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
Sorry, no videos. It only took about 70 hours. I should mention I'm a mechanic by trade and had a lift. It really is fairly straight forward if you have a donor. I bought a rolled over one at a salvage auction. With that and purchasing some things that weren't useable, I have about $7k into it. That's not counting my labor of course. It definitely made it much easier starting with the right Commander donor however.
That makes all the difference right there having the shop, the tools, the proper equipment & knowledge to do the work.

For your average joe that does not have any of those things, that swap is easily an $11K - $12K job.

Looks like you did a hell of a job, nice work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has all the SRT exhaust, factory up to the cats and then to a Borla cat back set up made for the SRT. The Grand Cherokee and Commander have the same wheel base and all the hangers are in the same place so it just bolts right in. I did lose the spare but it wouldn't fit over the Brembos anyway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Would be interesting to see pics of the exhaust. Did the instrument cluster just swap in or did you need to make changes?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have some questions myself (super jelly btw, I just have the motor, I opted for 7k for a reman motor rather than a used lift out)

I'm also curious about the game cluster, I've been wanting to swap that as well

I also wanted to do the seats, but was unsure if I got a power passenger seat to replace my non power passenger seat, if it would plug up to the BCU, same with memory controls for the driver seat, if they would communicate with the BCU correctly, or if I'm just completely wrong and this doesn't apply lol.

And then I'm just curious, what was the mileage on your donor SRT8?

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
I have some questions myself (super jelly btw, I just have the motor, I opted for 7k for a reman motor rather than a used lift out)

I'm also curious about the game cluster, I've been wanting to swap that as well

I also wanted to do the seats, but was unsure if I got a power passenger seat to replace my non power passenger seat, if it would plug up to the BCU, same with memory controls for the driver seat, if they would communicate with the BCU correctly, or if I'm just completely wrong and this doesn't apply lol.

And then I'm just curious, what was the mileage on your donor SRT8?
Hey SH, have you ever considered taking a little time & updating you garage with some pics of your engine upgrades and maybe listing all the updated work/mods that you've had done?

Your garage as it sits, really doesn't do your XK any justice.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
WOW that is an awesome build! If you have some pics of the swap and process I'd love to see it along with any other pictures of it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Man that is awesome!!
I am also curious about pretty much everything else everyone has been asking! ...Especially the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
Hopefully, I'm reading this wrong.....

A lot of you know - or should know by now, that I believe in sharing information here on the forum whenever possible, that is one of the primary reasons that this website exists. One of my pet-peeves is when somebody shows up on this forum for a day or 2 and starts raving about a project of theirs, seemingly looking for attention.

Then when some forum members start giving them some attention and ask some questions about the work, you get a very generic, uninformative answer, or, no answer at all and then the O.P. disappears, never to be heard from again. I've seen this happen more than once in my tenure here and I don't have much of a tolerance for it.

So @floundering101, you showed up here easily enough 12 days ago to show everyone your SRT project, surely you had to anticipate that people would want to ask you some questions about the upgrades & work that you did. Yet it's been 11 days since you've last come back to respond to anyone.

So, if I'm reading this wrong - and you're really not one of those attention-starved individuals, how about extending the members of this forum a little courtesy & respect and showing up to respond to the questions our members have for you, about your project?

Or is that asking too much??

If it is, please let me/us know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stuff happens in life bud. Give it a bit. Also, I don't get notifications of replies so if he isn't either, perhaps he thinks nobady gives a crap.

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
Stuff happens in life bud. Give it a bit. Also, I don't get notifications of replies so if he isn't either, perhaps he thinks nobady gives a crap.
I doubt that's the case Flex - but I'm willing to let this play out.

I have 30 years (and counting) of government service in my background, so trust me, I know better than most that life happens sometimes.

However, I also have a keen eye for spotting B.S. when it presents itself.

We shall see......

And by the way - if you want to get notifications of replies to threads you've created, you can set that up in your user CP settings under settings & options; edit options; under default thread subscription mode select instant e-mail notification.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I prefer to be surprised lol. In the "**** happens" category, I have an annoying tumor on the back of my head that I can't get removed until October. Two weekends ago, my eyes started bugging me. It got so bad that I could barely see. Then I started getting burning sensations in my forehead when I bent over. Turns out both eyes and sinus cavity are badly infected. As Arnold said before he became a whiny c*#t, "I need a vacation"

·
Super Moderator
5,710 Posts
I prefer to be surprised lol. In the "**** happens" category, I have an annoying tumor on the back of my head that I can't get removed until October. Two weekends ago, my eyes started bugging me. It got so bad that I could barely see. Then I started getting burning sensations in my forehead when I bent over. Turns out both eyes and sinus cavity are badly infected. As Arnold said before he became a whiny c*#t, "I need a vacation"
Damn Flex, I'm sorry to hear that.

I've had a bad sinus infection before where I actually needed a steroid shot & a weeks worth of heavy anti-biotics to kick it, not fun.

Have you ever thought about moving to a warmer climate?

I know it's never easy to just pull up stakes and relocate - but sometimes you have to do what you have to do where your health is concerned.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sometimes. Lived here my whole life. Never left, not even once. My brother just purchased a family plot for us next to my father. We have been together from the start. Going to be together in the dirt too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts