Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with the 3.7 v6. I have had issues where when I am driving and accelerating the car will accelerate and shift like normal at first, but sometimes the throttle just cuts out so the car won't go above 30MPH. When I push the gas pedal when this happens, the engine won't even rev. It stays steady at about 30 MPH and RPM's stay at about 2500. It only does this intermittently though, and when I stop and turn the car off and start it again, it starts working normally. Any ideas on what could be causing the intermittent issue?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How many miles? Have you checked for stored diagnostic codes? Have you checked your maintenance records and perform any overdue maintenance?

Overdue on a spark plug change, or clogged air filter can cause this. If there is a problem with the engine, likely the PCM has stored a diagnostic fault code you can read to clue you in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked and no stored codes. Recently changed the spark plugs and air filter. It does have almost 100,000 miles

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The fact there is no codes stored complicates the diagnosis. If the Drive-by-Wire is hiccuping, you would get a light on the dash indicating a Drive-by-Wire malfunction. The Venturi, butterfly and lightning bolt symbol. When I have had the drive-by-wire hiccup, it had the same symptoms you're describing but the warning light symbol flashed and remained lit on the dash. The only time it has happen to me was when I started the motor in extreme cold, like single digits fariheight, then tried to apply WOT or close to it before the motor had warmed up. Shutting off and restarting the motor cleared the problem.

LIMP mode for the transmission, I've never experienced it with drive-by-wire, but usually when the trans goes into limp mode, it locks into a lower gear and won't shift out. So, you're speed limited, but the engine functions normally, and pushing the throttle will cause the engine to respond and rpm increase.

You seem to describe an engine problem, when pushing the throttle pedal, doesn't produce additional power, the engine rpm won't climb, the engine is bogging down. That doesn't sound like the trans going into limp mode to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It could be a problem with the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor). It is entirely possible that a code would not be produced if this is not functioning correctly. It would however prevent the engine from increasing RPM. It could be intermittent as well.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It could be a problem with the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor). It is entirely possible that a code would not be produced if this is not functioning correctly. It would however prevent the engine from increasing RPM. It could be intermittent as well.
Now we are getting somewhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This sounds like a problem I had a year ago. When this happens did you happen to notice a message that says: SERVICE PARK ASSIST w/ the [P] [R] [N] [D] ? This seems to be a common problem with the electronic shift module having been "dirtied" up and now the computer doesn't know what gear it is in and puts the Jeep in a safe mode. It has nothing to do with the park assist. Here is a youtube video on the problem and a fix for it. I cleaned mine a year ago and it still is running good today.

https://youtu.be/lu1cz45SrlU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts