Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUP ALL,
Tell me, what is the advantages of the Jeep over that new FJ Cruiser
Toyota has released? Do any of you guys have rock rails, do you wheel your rigs? There big, there awsome, there limited like a pick up truck I gues I would compare them too ehh?
Will the commander snuff the FJ CRuiser in all aspects of off roading?
I NEED's TO KNOW! :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
FJ is a smaller vehicle, not as refined or luxurious. Based on the specs, the FJ should be a strong off roader. But I am not a hardcore off roader - I have done some trails with my Commander and it has done well. I don't have rock rails yet. At the extreme limits, I am not sure which vehicle would be superior. I would guess the Jeep Commander has the superior drive and off road system, but it is also larger and heavier. I like my Commander and it suits my needs better, but I also think the FJ is nice and a good value for the money.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since your name is Voodoo Blue, a Toyota FJ paint color option, do you currently own a FJ?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Quite a bit of difference...

FJ has 2 cubic feet less of cargo storage
FJ has 125 lbs. less of payload capacity
FJ has 2200 lbs. less of towing capacity
FJ gets 2mpg better fuel economy
FJ has a 2 gallon smaller fuel tank (than 2007 Commander)
FJ is 5" shorter
FJ is 0.2" narrower
FJ is 0.3" shorter
FJ weighs 516 lbs. less.
FJ only seats 5
FJ has about 80 less horsepower.
Commander is a Jeep!

The FJ's direct "competition" is the 2007 Wrangler Unlimited. On paper, the 2007 Wrangler Unlimited outshines the FJ in nearly every aspect. I am sure the same will true on (and off) pavement too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's more comparable to my Liberty I drive. All my KJ needs to keep up with the toy is a lift. I have heard complaints about not being able to see very good out of the small windows. The toy nuts oughta love it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You really shouldn't compare the two. It's like comparing the Wrangler and a Tahoe. FJs should be looked at against the wrangler and Xterra, not the Commander.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FJ Cruiser is a great vehicle. The Commander is nice for around town as it were, but the FJC is tons better for real off-road. Wanted an FJC but ended up buying a JC because the GF liked the JC interior better (laugh). Got to keep them happy.

Apples and oranges. Had a 4Runner for 149,000 miles and totally loved it. JC is great for most things but if you really want to off-road, then get the Toyota or a Jeep Rubicon. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
The XK is a REALLY GREAT JEEP. It's great for all your wheelin needs!!! If I wanted something to wheel hard, I'd get a older Jeep. It's a matter of opinion what wheels the best;) . I would get a Jeep any day over a toy. (unless someone gave me one).:D :D Almost every older toy I see on the road is ate up around the fenders with rust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can a stock Jeep Commander do the entire Rubicon Trail?

I like Jeeps and I like Toyotas and anything else that goes off-road. Different models are good for different things. The stock FJC can do the Rubicon and so can other Jeeps. I suspect a stock Commander would have problems. That doesn't mean anything negative about the Commander. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most fun I ever had with an off roader was a 72 Scout with a 304 V8 that I paid about $400 for. Nothing could stop it, and it could go places no other truck could fit and get out. I also didnt care if I bounced it off a few trees, I cant see anyone doing that with any new SUV. Commander has some decent off road capability, but its main strength is 3rd row seating when needed without being too huge. Now 15 years down the road when one is all wore out beat up and cheap, then I could have some serious fun with one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here's my ride at Big Bear mountains. It does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It doesn't matter for off-roading, but for some reason Toyota only offers a full-time 4WD system with the manual transmission in the FJ. The automatic gets a less sophisticated part-time system.

My site can be used to compare their prices. For what it's worth, the six vehicles most often compared to each are:

Commander:
H3
LR3
Grand Cherokee
Armada
Pilot
Yukon

Yeah, I don't know what people are smoking. That's quite a varied list. This indicates that many people in the general public still cannot figure out what the Commander is.

FJ:
Xterra
H3
Wrangler
RAV4
4Runner

This list makes more sense.

Oddly, the only vehicle in both lists is the H3.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you can get a Base/Manual-FJ w/out all the extra $5,000 to $8,000 whizz bang geegaw add-ons that would surely malfunction and break-off when running off-road; then the FJ would be a very capable performer but more in line w/ a Jeep Rubicon w/ a bit more cargo room and the ability to seat 5. An Xterra Off-Road may not be quite as capable but it gives you much more useable space and utilitarian value as well as tons more power. The FJ looks huge on the outside but this does not translate to room inside.

XKPearl

·
Registered
136 Posts
Commander can do Rubicon train only if they put gas stations every 200 miles as that's where it will run out of gas. As far as mileage, FJ is probably around 17 miles in the city and Commander (5.7) is 11. It's not 2 mpg difference last time I checked it.:mad:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mikey, stop your whining about your fuel economy. If you expect good mileage consider a compact car, not an SUV. You sound like an 8 year old crying little girl at times.

The EPA ratings from fueleconomy.gov list the 4.7L engine at 2mpg less than the FJ's mileage. The 5.7L engine is 3mpg less than the FJ's mileage.

The EPA tests are the same. Granted you may not get the EPA mileage in a Commander, but nor will you get it in an FJ either. It will be proportional.

And if you are going to cross the Rubicon Trail you will carry jerry cans of fuel and water anyway.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Bump..

I believe stock FJ is more off-road capable than stock Commander.

I like the rear diff in the FJ, it sets middle between QD-II and QT-II

Power is on the Commander side (4.7 and 5.7 only)

Luxury ride is absolutely in the Commander side.

Dislike the (what I call) "quarter" rear door in the FJ. it makes it difficult to jump in.

Like the spare tire in the FJ being on the back, you can make use of the space under the car for water tank or fuel tank, my friend has 100 liter water thank in there.

I think lifted QD-II with big tires would outperforms the FJ from off-road capabilities point of view

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Who ever said the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the Toyota FJ Cruiser are on the same level is smoking crack. There is no comparison there what so ever. A stock FJ would never be able to keep up to a stock rubicon in any off road condition. I think the FJ cruiser and Xterra would be more compareable if the Xterra had a rear locker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.