Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I've been reading lots here and thought I would introduce myself. I have driven a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4.7, V8 (sorry I don't know the letter name!) since it was brand new with only 16 miles on it. She's been very good to me and only has 122k miles. I really don't want to give her up, but she was visually ruined in a Texas hail storm and my boys need more space. I have driven every new third row vehicle out there and I hate them all. What can I say, I'm a jeep girl! I have had a love affair with the Jeep Commander since it came out one year after I bought my Cherokee - practically drooling every time I saw one in person! I have been searching for just the right one and came upon a 2006 Limited, 5.7 4x4. 104k miles, but a brand new remanufactured AER engine. It's in very good condition other than a few issues with the rear moon roof shades and a small tear in the driver seat leather. It's one owner who has every single receipt for any and all work, including oil changes. Clean car fax. What are your thoughts on a remanufactured engine? I would be using this to take my kids to school and run errands. I live in the country and need great handling and reliability. I haven't bought a new car in over 14 years! I'm excited about the possibility of staying in the Jeep family and learning from yall!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would take a remanned engine over any stock Hemi from that era. Given that it's an AER engine, it's also got a great warranty on it, and seeing how well maintained the car appears to be otherwise I think it'd be a great choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome aboard. If it comes with a warranty and receipts then I would go for it if the price is right. Sorry about your WJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y’all! I’ll post a pic and give updates if I do decide to go with it. And thanks for the sympathy in saying goodby to my old girl. She still drives great. I feel like she apart of me after 14 years. It’ll be hard to say goodbye.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Hi Everyone, I've been reading lots here and thought I would introduce myself. I have driven a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4.7, V8 (sorry I don't know the letter name!) since it was brand new with only 16 miles on it. She's been very good to me and only has 122k miles. I really don't want to give her up, but she was visually ruined in a Texas hail storm and my boys need more space. I have driven every new third row vehicle out there and I hate them all. What can I say, I'm a jeep girl! I have had a love affair with the Jeep Commander since it came out one year after I bought my Cherokee - practically drooling every time I saw one in person! I have been searching for just the right one and came upon a 2006 Limited, 5.7 4x4. 104k miles, but a brand new remanufactured AER engine. It's in very good condition other than a few issues with the rear moon roof shades and a small tear in the driver seat leather. It's one owner who has every single receipt for any and all work, including oil changes. Clean car fax. What are your thoughts on a remanufactured engine? I would be using this to take my kids to school and run errands. I live in the country and need great handling and reliability. I haven't bought a new car in over 14 years! I'm excited about the possibility of staying in the Jeep family and learning from yall!
@joyfulgreetings;

Welcome to the forum;

What you've described sounds like a good deal to me, you are probably in much better shape with the brand new remanufactured AER engine than the original engine; that being said, I would recommend you get the VIN number from the seller and follow the instructions below:

To Anybody who is Looking to buy a Commander;

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in the VIN; If you are still looking and have not bought your Commander yet, I strongly recommend you do this BEFORE you buy it;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, just navigate to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Wow, thanks, Big Blue! I will do that right away.
No problem at all; the more information you have in hand prior to the purchase the better, as it will help you make a more informed decision.

If you happen to find out that there are any recalls or campaigns that have not been completed, you can use that as a bargaining chip to try & get them to come down on the asking price.

Best of luck.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Hi Big Blue, there is a recall. Are you saying Jeep won’t fix that free of charge? Thanks for your help!
That's not what I'm saying at all ma'am.

Jeep will absolutely fix it free of charge - but it is still an unresolved safety issue at this moment and you should be able to use that to your advantage when settling on a sale price.

Just out of curiosity, which recall is showing as not completed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not what I'm saying at all ma'am.

Jeep will absolutely fix it free of charge - but it is still an unresolved safety issue at this moment and you should be able to use that to your advantage when settling on a sale price.

Just out of curiosity, which recall is showing as not completed?

Big Blue, Sorry, I missed your reply and am just now seeing it. It was the ignition switch.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Big Blue, Sorry, I missed your reply and am just now seeing it. It was the ignition switch.
That recall will also give you a new set of Key FOBS when/if you have it completed - which is to your advantage; let me know if you decide to pull the trigger.

Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That recall will also give you a new set of Key FOBS when/if you have it completed - which is to your advantage; let me know if you decide to pull the trigger.

Good luck.
That's actually not true for 06/07 models; we don't have the FOBIK system later models do so the recall doesn't require our fobs to be replaced. The ignition cylinder is just replaced and keyed to match our existing setup.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
That's actually not true for 06/07 models; we don't have the FOBIK system later models do so the recall doesn't require our fobs to be replaced. The ignition cylinder is just replaced and keyed to match our existing setup.
You are absolutely correct; I was thinking about when I had the recall done on my 08 and I received new Key FOBS; I forgot about the difference in that particular recall, with the 06/07 model years, thanks for correcting me cbw.

That being said it would still very much be to her benefit to have that recall completed, should she decide to buy that particular XK.

The fact that it's not completed also means she could still use that as a potential bargaining tool when discussing a sale price.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Damn, I just got all excited only to be let down. LOL. Mine has never had that recall done either. Or the p73. Im not going to bother with either of them.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Damn, I just got all excited only to be let down. LOL. Mine has never had that recall done either. Or the p73. Im not going to bother with either of them.
@Carbuff; I don't understand your thinking at all.

Why wouldn't you get those recalls/campaigns completed? It costs you nothing but time and that's 2 less things that could potentially go wrong that you won't have to worry about.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@Carbuff ; I don't understand your thinking at all.

Why wouldn't you get those recalls/campaigns completed? It costs you nothing but time and that's 2 less things that could potentially go wrong that you won't have to worry about.

Well, its a high mileage vehicle and its all working fine. Its possible that the ignition switch has been replaced by the PO. If I was gonna get new keys, I would do it. I dont want to stir the pot with the whole p73 thing. Ive not had any issues with my 4wd. Now, if there was a recall on front dif bushings, Id be all over that. LOL.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Well, its a high mileage vehicle and its all working fine. Its possible that the ignition switch has been replaced by the PO. If I was gonna get new keys, I would do it. I dont want to stir the pot with the whole p73 thing. Ive not had any issues with my 4wd. Now, if there was a recall on front dif bushings, Id be all over that. LOL.
That's your decision to make but that Service 4WD System message has a way of showing up in your EVIC at the most inconvenient time - and once it's there, that's it your stuck in 4-LOW or 4-HIGH whatever you mode you were in when it happened.

Not that big a deal if you're stuck in 4-HIGH, but, if you get stuck in 4-LOW, that's a pretty big problem.

Actually @Carbuff, your profile says you have QT-I and if you're profile is correct (This is a prime example of why I harp on everyone about making sure their user profiles are complete) the P73 campaign does not apply for your Commander because it is specific to the NV245 2 speed transfer case which only the QT-II and QD-II 4WD systems use.

Quadra-Trac I Commanders use the NV140 transfer case which is a single speed transfer case, meaning there is no capability of dropping down into 4-LOW.

If you look at the P73 Campaign notice below FCA did a horrible job the way they decided to word it, writing it as "We are recommending the following improvements be performed on certain 2005 through 2010 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee and 2006 through 2010 model year Jeep® Commander vehicles equipped with a Quadra-Trac II Full Time Active 4WD transfer case."

That can be very confusing to a new owner that is not well-versed in Jeep Commander/Grand Cherokee 4WD systems;

They should have worded it as "We are recommending the following improvements be performed on certain 2005 through 2010 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee and 2006 through 2010 model year Jeep® Commander vehicles equipped with the Quadra-Trac-II and Quadra-Drive-II 4WD systems which utilize the NV245 two speed transfer case .

That's much easier to understand in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey, nice pick up on the QT-II mistake. I fixed it. I had the QT-I in my GJC. Must have been what I was thinking when I filled it out. It had the n23 done but not the p73. Ive never actually taken it out of hi and dont really have any plans to do so. If I do encounter a problem, I will get the p73 done. And the ignition switch, while its there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts