Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Jeep Grand Cherokee will once again be offered with a diesel powerplant says Fiat/Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne. Jeep cut the diesel option from its flagship SUV when it introduced the current generation model and Jeep has been officially quiet on its return – until Marchionne's comments now. An exact date for the new diesel model's introduction was not revealed, but Marchionne did say it would arrive before 2013.

The new diesel powerplant will be the same 3.0-liter turbo V6 offered in Europe, with 237-hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. Compared to the old diesel, fuel economy is up 19 percent while the total tow rating would lead the Grand Cherokee pack at 7,700 lbs.

More: Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Confirmed by Marchionne on AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
AWESOME!!!!! That just sold me on a new Jeep GC when the diesel arrives! Hopefully they'll put a six or eight speed transmission in it and market it properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awesome. I can't wait for the 7 seater with a diesel power plant.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Man i'd kill for a diesel in my XK.

It not just peak torque... its a much flatter torque curve. So you're actually getting the power at usable RPM's. Not to mention efficiency.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My wife and I were talking while we were at a local truck show today... and we basically came to the conclusion that (when the kids are old enough) we're going to sell her Liberty for a 4 door wrangler. The Commander will be the "his" vehicle (me and our son) and the Wranlger will be the "hers" vehicle (her and our daughter). That would make for some sweet family wheeling trips.

Now if they offer a 3.0 CRD in a 4door wrangler in about 3-4 years... i'll be the first one to drive it off the lot! :bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts
the torque curve is perfect for wheeling the fuel economy is awesome and you can get gas if you travel outside the USA with it no problem. The diesel not in a wrangle is still one of those great mysteries of life....
If you put "diesel wrangler" in the search on youtube you will find a lot of them.

·
1,993 Posts
If you put "diesel wrangler" in the search on youtube you will find a lot of them.
I've seen them but you can't get them from the factory and that's what confuses me. It's suppose to be the ultimate off road vehicle but you can't get one with a engine that produces sick amounts of torque at 2,000 RPM's. Makes no sense to me..

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I wonder if the Grand Cherokee diesel engine will be offered in the new Grand Wagoneer (GW) scheduled for 2013. Speaking of the GW, I was at my dealership for some warranty work last Thursday and I happened to park next to a Durango Citadel. I started eyeballing the XK and the Durango as they sat side-by-side and it was hard to see much difference in the dimensions. The only thing I noticed is that the Durango sheet metal has a rounder shape, a la GM SUVs. If the GW is going to be Durango based, we're basically going to get a reincarnated XK in a different suit. I guess the experiment of designing the Commander along the Cherokee lines didn't work out for Chrysler as planned, so now they'll dust-off the GW name plate and body lines. I love the Cherokee (drove one for 13 trouble-free years) and I really love the GW. In my case, it's a win-win; however, IMO Jeep needs a larger vehicle than the XK/Durango. I know it would be hard to trail-rate, but if they managed with the previous GW, they should manage now. I'd like to see something slightly smaller than a Tahoe, with a diesel.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
My wife and I were talking while we were at a local truck show today... and we basically came to the conclusion that (when the kids are old enough) we're going to sell her Liberty for a 4 door wrangler. The Commander will be the "his" vehicle (me and our son) and the Wranlger will be the "hers" vehicle (her and our daughter). That would make for some sweet family wheeling trips.

Now if they offer a 3.0 CRD in a 4door wrangler in about 3-4 years... i'll be the first one to drive it off the lot! :bowdown:
You're one lucky dog finding a wife that likes Jeeps as much as you do. Congrats. BTW, does Mrs. Matt have a single sister? :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not much of a fan of the new Durango Citadel. The front spoiler is far to close to the ground which gives it the crossover look. Not only that but they have placed a big eye ball in the front bumper close to the ground which assists with the crash avoidance technology. A real suv should look like one.

I would like to see that smash through a snow bank.

Mike

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I'm lucky too, my girl made me buy the commander. She says she likes the boxy look. She even told me that when she sell the land she has in the midwest for a good price, she is going to buy me a defender.

I'll stay with this one for sure. We are lucky to have women in to this stuff.:banana_hitit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts