Jeep Commander Forum banner

Jeep Jamboree - Ouray, CO

14K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  a49erFan 
#1 ·
The Family and I had a great time at another Jeep Jamboree this past weekend in a little town called Ouray, CO which is nestled in some of the most rugged and towering peaks of the Rockies. It is surrounded on three sides by 13,000 ft snowcapped peaks and is known as the “Switzerland of America”. Now there weren’t any snow packed peaks this time of the year, we did find some small pockets of packed snow and ice along the mountain sides and it was sleeting at the top of Imogene Pass.

We drove two different trails, one on Friday and one on Saturday in groups of 20 Jeeps (there were over 100 Jeeps present for the event). Saturday’s trail, Imogene Pass, took us from the town of Ouray up over 13,100 ft and back down into Telluride, CO. We saw many abandoned Silver mines and ghost towns, hot springs and views I had only seen in photos. Here are just a few of the many photos we took along the way.

See less See more
#13 ·
Actually, I have the 4" Superlift and just added a 1.5" block to the front for more clearance with the front tires so the front is currently 5.5" and the back is 4". I plan to eventually level the back once I finish tweaking the front.

rubicontrail.net said:
Nice photos... nice Willys pickup in the one.

How much weight did you have in the back because it looks like your back was sagging a bit.

Your Jeep does kind of have that rescue vehicle look to it... I love it.

#14 ·
#16 ·
All those trails are open to the public, so if you have any 4x4 you can drive them. When we got to Imogene Pass, there were a couple private vehicles up there. The nice thing about going on a Jamboree is the "Jeep Family & Friends", the trail guides that have been on those trails for years and the knowlege they share along the way.

Plus, every "SOB" (some other brand) we met along the trails, moved out of the way when groups of 20 Jeeps came blazin thru!!!

PS. I did ask the Hummer if they were ok and if they needed any help since I am part of the Hummer Recovery Team. :p

RedCommander said:
That is awesome. Looks like a great time. Question though, why were the Toyota and Hummer at the Jeep Jamboree? Were you the only Commander there?

#18 ·
I would love to do a trip like that! Keep posting your travels.

#19 ·
Hey Phunkey, those were some nics pics of your commander and the mountains. I hope my XK will look just as good as yours someday. Looks like you had an awesome time at the Jamboree. It also looked like you were the only XK out there too!! Must be nice to represent right? I enjoyed the pics.

#23 ·
Currently I carry the original full spare underneath. I am waiting (or hoping) someone like AEV makes the swing out tire carrier for the back so I could mount it there. I dont want to carry it on top because it will block the SAT antenna and take away from cargo space I actually use.

The rack/lightbar is the Defender by Off Road Unlimited. The lights are Rally LIghts by KC.

Tell said:
Great pics. Where's your spare? So far I have to carry mine on my rack. Which roof rack is that?

#24 ·
I did get quite a few curious onlookers from all the Wangler owners. I heard this the whole weekend: "Is that a Commander?....Nice!" "How does it handle the trails?" Like a Jeep I kept saying. :)

bigazian80 said:
Hey Phunkey, those were some nics pics of your commander and the mountains. I hope my XK will look just as good as yours someday. Looks like you had an awesome time at the Jamboree. It also looked like you were the only XK out there too!! Must be nice to represent right? I enjoyed the pics.

#25 ·
Ahh, how I miss the Rockies... I still have yet to find anything worth driving over here in Georgia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.