Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting local (somewhere) story on "sudden acceleration" in Jeeps. Personally, I'm not scared. The reason I posted it is because of what's at 1:20. A Commander hits a brick wall - completely destroys the front end, BUT the passenger compartment is virtually untouched. Great engineering and safety!

http://www.youtube.com/v/uZ44aNz0jvI&rel=1

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Seems like it's only at carwashes when somebody else is driving the vehicles. Makes you think, huh!!!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
CrzCajun said:
Seems like it's only at carwashes when somebody else is driving the vehicles. Makes you think, huh!!!
Always driven by a non owner who is not familuar with the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't worried. I was more impressed with the Commander and the brick wall and the very limited damage to the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
First time I heard of this was a couple of years ago and all the instances were at car washes. So is it an electrical bug or driver error? I actually hit both pedals at the same time a few months ago but quickly realized my mistake before it got away. Six years ago I was walking away from a car wash entrance when I heard what I thought was someone doing a burnout, I turn around only to see a car racing into the car wash. I don't know how it picked up that kind of speed in such a short distance. It went through the wash hitting and pushing a car at the end of the wash cycle which hit another car in the dryer which hit the car in front of it, sending it 140 feet away and tapped a parked car. All the cars in the wash line are in neutral. Luckily this car wash takes the cars without passengers and the attendants at the end were walking from one car to another.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
If it ever happens to you try to have the presence of mind to throw it into neutral.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think that maybe wet feet could be the problem. These guys/gals could be jumping in the jeeps with wet feet. That could cause their feet to slip off the brake pedal. Then the MASSIVE power that these Jeeps have get away from them and they speed out of control.;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
YB Normyl said:
Exactly, neutral then shut the engine down. It's amazing how it's in the news but they don't tell you what to do.
Some people just do not have sense enough to be behind the wheel of ANY vehicle. How hard would it be to shift into neutral and pull the emergency brake? :confused:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It will always get blamed on driver error. When they examine the vehicles and don't find any physical evidence such as a stuck cable or foreign object in the throttle body and there were no fault codes, it automatically driver error. But not every fault triggers a code. The more and more electronic technology they put in the cars, the more likely there'll be a problem down the road. Wait till they get into steer by wire and wireless.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
There were some documented issues several years back on Cherokees that were doing this. My neighbors mother lost an arm..but what happens is people freak out when it happens. You hear about it happening to older people or less experienced people who hit the gas instead of the brake or any number of things.

A broken engine mount can cause this as well as water in the wiring.

Agree the "drive by media" (love that term) will only scare you and maybe tell you to take it to your dealer, but would never say put it in neutral. They will tell you to slow down if it is icy. There was a big stink here a couple years ago when the local news told people to stay home unless they needed to go out. Many thought it was a "snow emergency" if you will, and didnt go to work and school etc.....enough of my media attack.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts