Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep stock highway tires, didn't have any trouble at all even climbing up huge boulders, even the wranglers with huge tires were struggling. This was at George Washington National Forest in Harrisonburg, VA. Awesome mountain trail. I used 4Lo the whole way with ESP off in 1st gear on 25psi tire pressure. couldn't be happier with how it handled the trail. The only thing I wish I had was taller tires since my axles and skid plates took a minor beating. only hit a couple rocks, but everythings still ok, no damage...PHEW!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Great pics! Looks like you had fun. I haven't been out in a while. Seeing your pics give me a itch lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was awesome. everybody was so impressed with how the commander was able to do so much. couldn't quite get any good pics of the rock crawl but the commander was showing em all up! I had to show em commanders aren't just for soccer moms.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
It was awesome. everybody was so impressed with how the commander was able to do so much. couldn't quite get any good pics of the rock crawl but the commander was showing em all up! I had to show em commanders aren't just for soccer moms.
Damn skippy they're not. Commanders are wasted on soccer moms. Good job of showing the Wrangler crowd that if it says Trail Rated on the side, Jeep meant it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn skippy they're not. Commanders are wasted on soccer moms. Good job of showing the Wrangler crowd that if it says Trail Rated on the side, Jeep meant it.
They sure are! I hate when I do the jeep wave and it's just a woman taking her kids to practice.

Wranglers were definitely impressed I was able to keep up and at times out do them. I was the talk of the meet. It's like they had never seen a Commander before and they expected it to have worse off road performance than a compass!! When we left they werent talking crap anymore!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
From what I see in the pics you could have done most (probably all) of it without 4Lo. And you should not exceed 25 mph while in 4Lo. I don't want you to screw up your system.

From the Owner's Manual:

Quadra-Trac II Operating
Instructions/Precautions — If Equipped
The Quadra-Trac II transfer case is fully automatic in the
normal driving 4 HI mode. The Quadra-Trac II
transfer case provides three mode positions — four wheel drive
high range, neutral, and four wheel drive low range.
This transfer case is fully automatic in the 4 HI mode.

This transfer case divides engine torque almost evenly
with 48 percent of engine torque to the front axle and 52
percent of engine torque to the rear axle. When speed
differences are increased between the front and rear drive
shafts, the transfer case can transmit up to 100 percent of
available engine torque to the front or rear drive shafts.

When additional traction is required, the 4 LOW position
can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together
and force the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same
speed. The 4 LOW position is intended for loose, slippery
road surfaces only. Driving in the 4 LOW position on dry
hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and
damage to driveline components.

When operating your vehicle in 4 LOW, the engine speed
is approximately three times that of the 4 HI position at a
given road speed. Take care not to overspeed the engine
and do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).

Proper operation of four wheel drive vehicles depends on
tires of equal size, type, and circumference on each wheel.
Any difference will adversely affect shifting and
cause damage to the transfer case.

Because four wheel drive provides improved traction,
there is a tendency to exceed safe turning and stopping
speeds. Do not go faster than road conditions permit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I went faster than 10mph while in 4Lo. I didn't want to put it in 4Lo and I told the tail leader I have an AWD system that automatically detects wheel slip and will adjust but he said to just stay in 4Lo, so I listened. I figured an experienced trail leader would know best. I'll definitely go back to that trail and try it without 4Lo. I didn't like the feeling of 4Lo and sounding like a semi truck. It felt like I was driving a manual transmission with no clutch it kept jerking back and forth. System seems to be working fine now i'm home but next time i'll let QTII do it's thing.

Now there were obstacles I wasn't able to get pictures of. There was a stream crossing, uphill rock crawl, and downhill rock crawl (if thats what you call it). There was some soft mud too. Until I see it or do it i'm scared of soft mud without 4Lo engaged.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Obviously your "trail leader" had no clue about QTII.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn't. He said he wasn't sure what it was or how it works so to play it safe, or maybe unsafe, he said to put it in 4Lo. Either way it was an aewsome time didn't have any trouble on the trail.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah, those " trails " up there are good starter trails. They're pretty tame and you can do them without 4-LO. I have done them 4 times without it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea there wasn't anything crazy just a few obstacles but for a stock truck and it being my first time it was a great trail. I'm trying to go either this Sunday or someday next week if I can.

·
1,993 Posts
Ya those trails can be done without 4LO I put in 4LO like once or twice doing those trails. But if you are in 4LO at least put it in 2 or 3 if not D. Keeping it first is good for really steep down hill parts or climbing stuff that you will be spinning on and you don't want the trans to up shift on you. Glad you had fun bro that place is beautiful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't able to keep it in D. in 4Lo I had to choose the gear manually. Next time i'm gonna try without 4Lo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Judging from the pictures I'd say you didn't really need 4lo but for a first timer in a stock rig on street tires, it's never a bad idea. Aside from taking strain from the transmission and distributing it to cheaper/easier to fix parts of your drivetrain (t-case, axles), it gives you more control over your vehicle. On a bumpy trail newer drivers tend to have less control over their throttle foot and accidentally goose it when they hit a large bump. In 4hi that can turn into heavy wheelspin which can possibly put someone into a bad position. In 4lo, you lurch but you don't really spin, and it's easy to regain control before something unintended happens.

There's really no reason not to use 4lo under 10mph unless you want more of a challenge. The trailboss was correct in instructing you to use it knowing that you're a first-timer in a stock Jeep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm planning on heading to Big Boys/GWNF with the family tomorrow. Any of you going to be in the area?

- 06 Hemi, 2in Daystar lift, Toyo Open Country 265/70/17 AT's, pinch-weld mod - should be enough to do some light wheelin' We shall see! At the very least, there should be some "Big Boys" at Big Boys to watch with the wife and kids.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think I went faster than 10mph while in 4Lo. I didn't want to put it in 4Lo and I told the tail leader I have an AWD system that automatically detects wheel slip and will adjust but he said to just stay in 4Lo, so I listened. I figured an experienced trail leader would know best. I'll definitely go back to that trail and try it without 4Lo. I didn't like the feeling of 4Lo and sounding like a semi truck. It felt like I was driving a manual transmission with no clutch it kept jerking back and forth. System seems to be working fine now i'm home but next time i'll let QTII do it's thing.

Now there were obstacles I wasn't able to get pictures of. There was a stream crossing, uphill rock crawl, and downhill rock crawl (if thats what you call it). There was some soft mud too. Until I see it or do it i'm scared of soft mud without 4Lo engaged.
I've noticed when I take my JK on trail rides with fellow Jeep folks, the newer JK owners seem to put it in 4lo at the beginning of the trail/day without knowing what they are getting in to. The only thing I can figure is they use it a lot to compensate for the lack of power or they really have no clue what they are doing. I know my JK does not feel like it could make it up a hill sometimes, but it is rare I need to use 4lo.

It is kind of funny when 10 new JK's are all airing down their tires, putting it in 4lo and locking both axles at the beginning of an easy trail. Lots of overkill many times.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The difference is the commander is AWD with the option to change to 4Lo. So it's basically all time 4 high but each tire spins independently unless 4Lo is engaged. Im not sure if the JKs have quadra trac or quadra drive since those systems power the commanders.

I've been back to the trail 2-3 times since this thread started and I didn't touch 4Lo and I didn't need to. There is one part where it might help but with the commanders, a little gas and when the QTII kicks in it'll pull over the rocks. When I did this trail the first time with a jeep wrangler group they didn't understand the AWD system and told me to use 4Lo since everyone else was in 4Lo.

I don't air down anymore either. One of my buddies with an 06 land rover aired down and while going up some rocks punctured his tire twice. We made it down on fix a flat and constant air refills until he was able to change the tire but it was an expensive tire just for a little extra traction that isn't needed in the first place.

I was finally able to measure the length of the trail the last time I went. I initially thought it was 5-6 miles....nope 20.1 miles! It's a very nice all day scenic trail. If you get a chance there are a few pull offs that look like the trail but they're camp sites with awesome views.

This time of year I imagine the top sees a lot of snow so I think I'm done with the trail for the season then I'll go tear it up in the spring! Hope to see some more XKs out there!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The difference is the commander is AWD with the option to change to 4Lo. So it's basically all time 4 high but each tire spins independently unless 4Lo is engaged. Im not sure if the JKs have quadra trac or quadra drive since those systems power the commanders.

I've been back to the trail 2-3 times since this thread started and I didn't touch 4Lo and I didn't need to. There is one part where it might help but with the commanders, a little gas and when the QTII kicks in it'll pull over the rocks. When I did this trail the first time with a jeep wrangler group they didn't understand the AWD system and told me to use 4Lo since everyone else was in 4Lo.

I don't air down anymore either. One of my buddies with an 06 land rover aired down and while going up some rocks punctured his tire twice. We made it down on fix a flat and constant air refills until he was able to change the tire but it was an expensive tire just for a little extra traction that isn't needed in the first place.

I was finally able to measure the length of the trail the last time I went. I initially thought it was 5-6 miles....nope 20.1 miles! It's a very nice all day scenic trail. If you get a chance there are a few pull offs that look like the trail but they're camp sites with awesome views.

This time of year I imagine the top sees a lot of snow so I think I'm done with the trail for the season then I'll go tear it up in the spring! Hope to see some more XKs out there!
The JKs have Command-Trac, which with the new traction control features works well. I would imagine the JK's did well or anyone with lockers. The older Wranglers with open differentials (and no traction control system) won't compete with the Commander's quadra-trac/quadra-drive in a traction situation. The Wrangler will do better with approach and departure angles and articulation, but on so many beginner to medium trails, the traction is what counts.

I've even read on some forums, some Wrangler owners are under the belief that when they put it in 4lo their axles lock. So between the addition of power in 4lo (which the Commander does not have an issue with) and some of the false beliefs of 4lo, a lot of newer, less experienced Wrangler wheelers feel they must use 4lo all the time. I can't imagine driving around in 4lo all day.

There is an appropriate time and place to use all of your tools/goodies.

I'm going through Harrisonburg in 2 weeks on the way to Canaan Valley. I might have to stop and check out the trails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts