Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this yesterday
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php?action=fullnews&id=1040
I knew the Newark plant where the Durango is made was closing in a couple of years but I didn't know Jefferson North was going to close. That is where the Commander and Grand Cherokee are made.
Did others know this? This pretty much all but confirms the fate of the Commander and Grand Cherokee on the current platform. It will be interesting to see where the new large platform Jeep and Dodge will be made.:confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try again, It is at the bottom of the article about the end of the Viper

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not sure how old the Jefferson north plant is... might be time for an upgrade and they might figure they can do it cheaper in a Supplier Park situation like the JK is built in. If they are closing Jefferson North then it would be nice to see them move the next generation mid/full size Jeep production to Toledo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here...

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php?action=fullnews&id=1040

Chrysler will be closing the Connor Avenue facility.....Other plants to be closed include Jefferson North, which currently makes Grand Cherokees and Commanders; Newark Assembly, which makes the Durango and Aspen; and Detroit Axle, to be replaced by a Marysville plant.
The Durango will be built on an extended GC platform....same platform will be used for a "3 row Grand Cherokee" which will not be called the Commander :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
Perhaps those of us that already OWN our Commanders should be happy rather then bitch. I know that unless mine should suddenly become a lemon (so far its been absolutely perfect) I have no desire to trade, sell or otherwise dispose of it for at least 10 years. By then, who knows what will be available. john

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
John said:
By then, who knows what will be available. john
I'll keep mine until they bring back the Commander in 2030 with inverted wings for better in-air manueverability and they fix the auto-pilot and add the VTOL system standard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Everything I read lately about the end of the Commander mentions the "new boxier, bigger, 3rd row seat Grand Cherokee". Most descriptions sound to me like the redesigned 'Grand Cherokee' may in fact be an upgraded Commander with the name changed to Grand Cherokee. The Liberty has been redesigned to look more along the lines of the Commander. The design trend seems to be going in the Commanders direction. If the Commander becomes the Grand Cherokee, I think there should be a "Commander Edition" similar to the "Limited" and "Overland" editions.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whatever they name the next large Jeep I dont' really care. I do like the Commander name but if they call it a Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee etc. I don't really care. I do care what it looks like though. Hopefully they will continue the boxy styling of the current Commander and it gets a little larger inside. The Grand Cherokee styling to me is boring and blends in to the rest of the crowd. Our Commanders stand out!

·
Registered
93 Posts
jeadstx said:
Everything I read lately about the end of the Commander mentions the "new boxier, bigger, 3rd row seat Grand Cherokee". Most descriptions sound to me like the redesigned 'Grand Cherokee' may in fact be an upgraded Commander with the name changed to Grand Cherokee. The Liberty has been redesigned to look more along the lines of the Commander. The design trend seems to be going in the Commanders direction. If the Commander becomes the Grand Cherokee, I think there should be a "Commander Edition" similar to the "Limited" and "Overland" editions.
Finally someone gets it. It maybe called GC but the DNA will be Commander.

Tell me if you think the Trailhawk is more GC or Commander. I would say the latter over the former.

·
Registered
397 Posts
CanadianJeepYJ said:
Tell me if you think the Trailhawk is more GC or Commander. I would say the latter over the former.
It is more GC in my opinion, but to my eye even more than the Grand Cherokee it looks like the Dodge Magnum Jeepified. Kinda cool in one sense, but I perfer the direction Jeep is going with the Commander, 08 Liberty and Patriot.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A few leaves say Commander, a few trees say Grand Cherokee, but the forest is all Dodge Magnum. The slope of the windshield, the tiny side windows, the liftgate, the low profile street tires are all Magnum. Even its press stresses its street manors. Ought to call it BoulevardPidgeon. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Riddle said:
A few leaves say Commander, a few trees say Grand Cherokee, but the forest is all Dodge Magnum. The slope of the windshield, the tiny side windows, the liftgate, the low profile street tires are all Magnum. Even its press stresses its street manors. Ought to call it BoulevardPidgeon. :)
See beyond the entire picture. Obviously this is an over the top design....like most concepts.

Sometimes companies like to showcase their future product in the form of another vehicle.

Take the Gladiator for a moment. At the time it was to showcase the look of the exterior and interior styling of the Wrangler.

They never intended to make the Gladiator but to show off STYLING DESIGNS. Later there was so much demand to make the vehicle Chrysler then looked into building the Gladiator. To this day they have decided against such a vehicle. They thought that it would be a niche vehicle that would steal thunder from the Dakota. However now that Chrysler may decided to kill of the Dakota....the Gladiator may find its way into the Jeep lineup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyway, for an example of what I am talking about let's talk about the Lincoln MKR concept car.

The sole reason for this vehicle is to show the world/test opinions about the new grill.

They build a whole car to show off the new face of Lincoln.

This is what we thought the Lincoln MKS was going to look like:

But in fact when they begin to build the MKS it will sport the MKR grill....check out this spy shot.

check out this link for a better image without camo http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=4994&idg=1&idi=1

So don't look at the entire form of the trailhawk to find out what the next GC will look like....like at the bits and pieces that would make it to a production vehicle. Because it is there staring you in the face.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts