Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've designed, but have not yet constructed, a jerry can carrier that fits in the hitch receiver, but I can't find any information about any possible legal restrictions for carrying a can of gas mounted on the rear bumper - particularly on the highway.

The can sits to the side, so it does not block the license plate. My only concern it that the can's bottom sits level with the bottom of the rear bumper. If I get rear ended, the can is right there in the impact zone.

Does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge about the legality or safety of this?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Don't know the legality but I wouldn't do it because of the safety issue you mentioned. This would be very dangerous. The one like hueypilots is also a safety concern.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
People have been carrying a spare can there for years and I cannot recall one story of one blowing up because it was in an accident. It may not be the safest place, but I would not be too overly concerned about it. As far as wither it is legal or not, there are no laws in the Arizona statue that address that issue and I would bet most states are the same, it is too small of an issue for lawmakers to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
People have been carrying a spare can there for years and I cannot recall one story of one blowing up because it was in an accident. It may not be the safest place, but I would not be too overly concerned about it. As far as wither it is legal or not, there are no laws in the Arizona statue that address that issue and I would bet most states are the same, it is too small of an issue for lawmakers to deal with.
The first time some one gets rear-ended with a can on the bumper and it explodes they will be outlawed.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The first time some one gets rear-ended with a can on the bumper and it explodes they will be outlawed.
Maybe, but you might wait 100 years for that to happen, and then it will take years for enough people to agree to make it a law. Just not a big concern for me, there are a lot more dangerous things like talking on cell phones while driving or putting on make-up and laws don't prohibit those actions in MOST places.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Why do you think they had to move the gas tanks from the rear of all the automobiles ?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I agree that it could be dangerous, but as in my example, many other things are too and they are still legal.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm unable to find it either. All jerry can vendors say to check local law enforcement officials. I'm with 49'er jerry cans have been carried behind vehicles since there where vehicles, never heard of one blowing up on rear impact. But I guess there is always a first.
sorry could not help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I'm not so worried about the can blowing up on impact - but I'm sure there would be gasoline all over everything which could be easily ignited. And I tend to agree with a49erFan that the possibility of having an accident doesn't increase from having the jerry can mounted back there.

Isn't it only in movies where every accident ends with something blowing up spectacularly?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
how about the old pickup trucks with gas tanks mounted behind the drivers seat? nothing was done until ABC did the bogus story on exploding tanks. They rigged a few.....then the manufacturers moved the gas tank.
Still not outlawed.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I saw a guy today in Richmond that had a reciever rack carrying 5 plastic gas jugs, presumeably with gas in them, as that is what was written on them. I want to modify my rack to carry one or two also. I don't worry about things like that, there are far more dangerous things to think about. The reason that manufacturers have relocated the fuel tanks is that the gov. told them to do so, thats it. Dont sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, here is what I came up with. I don't work with metal, but I had some good plywood laying about and a can of black Hammerite...

The cage for the jerry can is from Wavian - a bit pricey, but I like it better than the kind I saw at Northern Tool or on Amazon.

Here it is with the gas can. Even though this is made of wood and is supported mostly where it is bolted to the hitch, it is very steady. The support that rests in the groove of the bumper, over on the left, helps. It doesn't interfere with the backup sensors.

There's enough room for the window to open, but if I need to get into the hatch I can flip the can down. It doesn't leak ... yet.

Sorry for the blurry last image. I crouched down to take it and a 20 lb. cat took advantage of the opportunity to rub vigorously against me at an inopportune moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Cool! :woot:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are a few more, cico7...

This one gives you a better idea of the structure.

There is pollen on everything.

I'll bet GetLost could take this concept and whip up something less bulky and more professional-looking. GetLost - feel free to use the idea - just as long as you'll sell me one at a deep discount. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very cool...on a side note I like how you painted your grab handles as well.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I like the removeable/portable nature of your design. It took a few minutes to figure out why your can tipped down.
But I imagine it wont have a can of gas in it when it tips down......

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Another great owner mod!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's a pretty slick set up, nice work!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That looks pretty good. Not too bulky!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts