Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Jetchip stage 2? I have read a few threads discussing stage 1.. just wondering if we are taking about a big HP/ driveability increase to justify running premium fuel. BTW, 5.7 Hemi, AEM intake, Magnaflow cat-back

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Re: Jetchip stage 2?

Well you already have the intake and exhaust so I think the JetChip Stage 2 just requires a different thermostat. I think the numbers are like 30hp (over stock) for the Hemi (that is just going off my memory which could be completely wrong). Stage 2 is also geared specifically for performance and not fuel economy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Are you running either stage 1 or 2 in your XK?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What temp thermostat is OEM in the Hemi? any ideas of where to find that out? I know Jet recommends a 180 therm. for stage 2, but they recommend that for any vehicle using stage 2. Maybe with some luck OEM is 180 degree. I would hate to drain coolant, and dissasemble, etc, to find out that is what is already in there.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I have the K&N FIPK and a flowmaster exhaust. Jet told me stage one was best for my application.

However, that said...... word of caution! You absolutely need a cover of some kind over the chip. My chip failed and I got another but Jet told me to cover it. My chip failed from water damage. Seems water can get right on the chip from the cowl area. There is a place there that drips right on the connection. (where the rubber from the cowl and and the rubber from the hood meet)

I really appreciate the extra "kick" the chip gives when you need it and mpg improved.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Every place that I have read i get the impression that the OEM thermostat is not 180 degrees.
setsail98-what did use to cover the chip? Do you think that the chip performs like the manufacturer claims?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

setsail98- does the chip install in the big electrical box on the pass side fenderwell, up near the cowl? Would you say the stage 1 is a noticeable improvement over just the intake and exhaust by itself? I don't know if I really need the stage 2, I already have a heck of a kick in the pants when I floor it. Just looking for a bit of a crisper throttle response, and shifting.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I would say the stage 1 has quite a "kick". I feel like it was money well spent. You feel more at the upper RPMs. Right now I have foil covering it until I can fabricate a proper cover. It goes in the third slot on the passenger side of the cowl. I was going to get the stage 2 but they recommended the stage 1. I was surprised. Again, I will say if you do not cover it..... it will get water in it. Make sure there is breathing room under the cover. I think the chip would be awesome in a hemi! Also, you can expect 1-3 mpg gain with the chip. Maybe even 4.

I also suggest calling Jet prior to purchase to get their opinion on a 1 or a 2........

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I called jet chip and they recommended stage 2 for me - with the hemi, intake and free flow exhaust, it is the one to get. They said stage 1 was best for completely stock vehicles. they also said that the 180 thermostat was optional, unless the enging would more often than not be subjected to extreme conditions (towing or lots of full throttle situations that could bring on overheating) I will later on add the thermostat, but it is not a danger to run the chip without it. 91 octane, however is required.
Jet stated that both chips would give a slight increase in MPG during normal driving, at highway speeds, due to a more efficient burning of the air/fuel mix. When you mash the throttle, though, all bets are off.....the Hemi is just plain thirsty. I have, however, gotten about a 1 MPG increase over stock with just the intake and exhaust.
Soooo...I ordered my Jet stage 2 today.... I will post after it is installed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

setsail98- do you have the 4.7 or hemi?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

I want to get one of these for mine, Did you have to modify your exhaust first? I notice it stated under the stage 2 that you needed a free flow exhaust. I though the Hemi needed a little back pressure? Also Jet Performance wants $319.95, did you find it at a better price anywhere?

·
Registered
264 Posts

You can do the chip without the exhaust or CAI / FIPK.
I paid approx $200 at autoanything.com
Join and they will send you a coupon

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

a49er - I just ordered mine today from auto anything, they have free shipping, I paid $210 to my door for the stage 2.
I talked to jet today and they recommend stage 1 for a stock vehicle., stage 2 works best with intake & exhaust - you already have an AEM on the way, right? I have never heard of the Hemi needing backpressure. Mine runs like a scalded ape with the Magnaflow.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, I installed the stage 2 jetchip today... I only did about a 20 mile test drive, but it seems to provide a noticeable improvement in the throttle response and general driveability. The transmission operates much nicer, too, Generally "snappier" all-around. that seems to be my first impression. I think that it will take the ECM a couple of hundred miles to "re-learn" with this addition, so I will post again later with a follow-up including fuel mileage.
Does anybody have a suggestion for a cover for the chip?

·
Registered
264 Posts

Yes!
A metal piece that goes behind the computer and rises over the chip/3 other connectors.
Needs to angle away from the sidewall.
I will say if you drive it in the rain and the chip gets wet..... the check engine light WILL come on. The way some of the water comes off the cowl, it is aimed perfectly at that connection. There is no way to correct that.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

setsail 98 - what exactly does the cover need to cover? I noticed there are three holes in the top and sides of the chip body... is this where the water can get in? or is it at the connection?. it seems like the connection is pretty well protected, same as OEM.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Mainly at the connection. The cover should slide down the back approx 8-9".
Then, sort of an "L" shape but more tapered down from the wall towards the engine.
It should cover all 4 connections for best results. The reason for 8-9"s plus is to insure it "binds" behind the computer. An "auto" (heat) grade plastic could work.... similar plastic as the air filter.

The OEM has a "longer" collar. Believe it or not that helps. Too, it is a hair more snug. Trust me, I went over this with JET at length. There are a few Dodges built similar as well as other brands.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think that I will try fashioning something out of aluminum plate. I will post a pic when I work something out.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts