Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ah the dreaded newbie post...
I'm Josh, I'm a Jeep fanatic, love my XJ, but my growing family (5th kid)put me in the market for a commander. I've lurked and used the site here for my research over the last year that I've been shopping for one.
For that I owe ALL who contribute a debt of gratitude , and beers are on me this Saturday !
After many test drives and failed Craigslist viewings I finally hit the trifecta ( $$, QD2, Hemi) the trade off was the girl I bought from didn't keep up with wash/wax, and her kids really dirtied up the rear two rows. There were general signs of neglect except it had been in for regular maintenance at a local dealer, and had oil change records.
Bottom line is I'm a proud owner of a slightly ugly 06 limited 114k that needs some cosmetics done before I start lifting and building it up to be a go anywhere family camping /hunting truck.
It sounds and runs great, and as soon as the weather here in Detroit warms up I'm going to dig in on making it truly reliable. New fluids, plugs, brakes, shocks, fix rust, and a clean interior. Oh and it needs the heater control lighting fix too. Then maybe I can start considering replacing the factory nav unit.
I do like the growl of the Hdmi, but it needs just a little more sound at idle.
It's my first V8, and I need some rumble.:wink3:
Also the front end is way down but I'm not ready to do a full spring replacement /lift yet. The rake is killing me visually.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Ah the dreaded newbie post...
I'm Josh, I'm a Jeep fanatic, love my XJ, but my growing family (5th kid)put me in the market for a commander. I've lurked and used the site here for my research over the last year that I've been shopping for one.
For that I owe ALL who contribute a debt of gratitude , and beers are on me this Saturday !
After many test drives and failed Craigslist viewings I finally hit the trifecta ( $$, QD2, Hemi) the trade off was the girl I bought from didn't keep up with wash/wax, and her kids really dirtied up the rear two rows. There were general signs of neglect except it had been in for regular maintenance at a local dealer, and had oil change records.
Bottom line is I'm a proud owner of a slightly ugly 06 limited 114k that needs some cosmetics done before I start lifting and building it up to be a go anywhere family camping /hunting truck.
It sounds and runs great, and as soon as the weather here in Detroit warms up I'm going to dig in on making it truly reliable. New fluids, plugs, brakes, shocks, fix rust, and a clean interior. Oh and it needs the heater control lighting fix too. Then maybe I can start considering replacing the factory nav unit.
I do like the growl of the Hdmi, but it needs just a little more sound at idle.
It's my first V8, and I need some rumble.:wink3:
Also the front end is way down but I'm not ready to do a full spring replacement /lift yet. The rake is killing me visually.
Welcome to the forum Stircrayzy.

Glad you found the Commander you were looking for.

I agree with you that the rake and aesthetics of a stock Commander is just awful.

A load-leveling lift and larger tires make all the difference in the world.

Here are some links to help you out with your aftermarket shopping when you are ready;

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - WAM Bumpers (@wam_bumpers) | images and videos on Instagram

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So adding a catch can seemed reasonable enough at first, now I need slightly longer hoses to finish the install so I can RE-mount the dress cover on the motor.
Have sway bar clunk, so I ordered Moog bushing to try this weekend, then on deck is full fluid changes, and then spark plugs .
I get some hesitation when I'm on the gas past half throttle.
Part of me wants to believe the motor is getting choked out by the computer to keep me from doing power slides, but I did have the CEL flash at me three times one of those hesitations. Tried the key dance and there were no codes...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found days and days worth of info using the search box here, always a bit overwhelming getting used to a new vehicle and all its little nuances. I can't wait to build this up though, hoping the budget allows for a reasonable pace.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
I have found days and days worth of info using the search box here, always a bit overwhelming getting used to a new vehicle and all its little nuances. I can't wait to build this up though, hoping the budget allows for a reasonable pace.
I can tell you from experience, it's costly.

Best advice I can give you Stircrayzy, make sure you have everything mechanically sound - and that all your maintenance and recalls are completed - BEFORE you do anything else.

If you're to that point already, just do your homework and be smart with your purchases.

There is a wealth of information and advice on what to buy for your XK on this forum - and remember, you get what you pay for.

As you get more comfortable navigating through the forum and learn all the sub-forums and what information is available in them, finding the information you are looking for will get easier - but believe me, the information is here.

Depending on what exactly you are trying to do, it may take time - and money, just be patient.

I would suggest creating a garage, here on the forum, so you have somewhere to start documenting your upgrade plans.

If you are having trouble finding something, let me know and I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started the garage, but can't get photo to upload, I just haven't tried to resize the images yet. I wondered why I can't upload from URL though, I have pics on photo bucket.

·
Premium Member
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
824 Posts
For photo's don't use the add a picture button, just use the drag and drop area - super easy. Get the picture file listed on your PC and then left click on the picture file and hold the left click - drag over to the forum post area where it has the drag and drop area and then let the left click go. Wait for it to upload and you're done. Maybe you did this in your last post as your pictures are there. The post picture button does work I tried using a URL and worked fine.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
I started the garage, but can't get photo to upload, I just haven't tried to resize the images yet. I wondered why I can't upload from URL though, I have pics on photo bucket.

Good looking XK.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for checking in RB !

PC, ha, I haven't used an actual PC in years RB. Exc at work.
I can copy paste img code into posts, but the garage area has a specific "upload" button that only allows adding from device, no option to add from pic hosting sites.
After a stop at the tire store today I was told I need all 4 sensors to get my "Service tire press system" msg fixed. Oh and they are only available from dealer??? All 4 pressures have accurate readings, but the tech said each one reported "no data" when scanned.
Trying to search for related threads, the Dash message is getting really annoying cause it hijacks any other function almost constantly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say go with a budget bump to level her off. Parts and install around 350. Money well spent. Tire pressure sensors? Waste of money. For $5 get a manual pocket one and check them every so often. Use the difference on the budget bump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say go with a budget bump to level her off. Parts and install around 350. Money well spent. Tire pressure sensors? Waste of money. For $5 get a manual pocket one and check them every so often. Use the difference on the budget bump!

Also you don't have to go huge on the lift - it can get pricey in a hurry. I did a 2.0 front 1.5 back. Here are the results. I get compliments all the time. People who had seen her multiple times before thought I got a new car lol.

Here she is:

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Also you don't have to go huge on the lift - it can get pricey in a hurry. I did a 2.0 front 1.5 back. Here are the results. I get compliments all the time. People who had seen her multiple times before thought I got a new car lol.

Here she is:

Good looking XK Montel.

That looks like about the same results you can expect from the 2 inch Rough Country lift more or less.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stircrazy, you have a nice looking XK there - can't see any rust but the pics aren't closeups ;)

I also have the "service tire pressure system" message on my '06 Limited and I'm just going to ignore it for now. Can replace the sensors for $50 per wheel but I'm spending that $200 on suspension maintenance. Probably going with new springs and shocks cuz I can't stand the '70s Crown Vic mushiness on the worn out factory suspension. I'm sure it didn't ride this way when new but at 115,000 miles the original suspension needs to go away.

As with others here, go through and do a complete fluid and filter change - that includes the front and rear diffs, transfer case, radiator flush and fill (DON'T go to an oil change place to have it done - the dealer is actually very reasonable and will fill it with the correct antifreeze. Other shops use a "universal" antifreeze that is anything but - use HOAT fluid ONLY.) For sure to the oil & filter, air filter, and spark plugs (all 16 of them...)

Looking forward to seeing your projects!

Bob

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys have great looking jeeps ! I'm surprised at how level you can get with those kits. I'll definitely be going that route unless budget allows for coilovers (CBE is pretty attractive).
What is the lifespan of the balljoints when running standard 2-3" kits?
I'm ashamed to say that I wedged in the cheap rubber coil spacers from autozone last weekend, to relieve my aching eyes from the rake. Now there's only a 2" difference lower in front to rear. Still pretty tough to look at, but 1" is better than nothing.
Before

After

Also got oil/filter change done last weekend, along with rerouting pcv lines to the catch can.
I picked up a check engine code p0300 and p0113 IAT high input, I'm not going to worry til after I swap plugs (yes with battery disconnected) and see how the hemi reacts. Also have thermostat and coolant to swap this weekend. Contrary to what I've been finding pictures of, it seems mine is on the top side, instead of bottom? Why are all the pictures I find showing its inside the lower hose?
Glad to have a helper though! My 3 year old can't get enough of the jeep!

Thanks Two Bobs, there is no rust yet, but there are bubbles around the hood lip that will need some attention this summer. Mine has 115k, and also rides like a 60's caddy, so mushy. Good luck on yours!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also I have budgeted $100 total to get the tire sensors fixed, whether it's me fixing or a shop, it's just worth it to me to know while I'm driving, if there's a problem. The warning that a tire is going down is an advantage I enjoy having . Also if I start feeling a pull while driving I can instantly rule out a pressure problem without stopping, getting out, and unscrewing/losing 4 valve caps just to satisfy my diagnostic curiosity.
I think anyone who has towed something would agree you don't stop if you don't absolutely have to, and if you think you're just fighting a crosswind and try to muscle it out, then shred a tire you'd wish you could've pushed a little button or see a dummy light to warn of a potential loss of control.
Sorry for the rant, The old man in me says screw all these damn sensors, but logic prevails on occasion.
If $$ permits.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Tpms

Mine are acting up every so often also but as far as I know they are original and as it is a 2010 and the batteries are only good for 6-8 years it could be time.

Swanny

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking about an eBay set of sensors if that's the problem, for when I'm ready to buy tires after lift spacer project. I have a great private tire store that gets good deals on tires, or will install whatever you bring them!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plug change and thermostat took 2 hours, and half of that was wiggling the plug socket out of the valve covers... very annoying but way easier than plugs on my v6 S10.!
All plugs looked perfectly normal for wear, and had identical gaps around .060 and no oil on the chamber side. The right side rearmost plug had some oil on the boot, so I imagine there are some o rings in the valve cover to deal with eventually.
Over the last 100 miles I just put on in mixed driving, I'm getting better performance by far, and no CEL, but also noticeably lower mileage.

I attribute the change of oil to the mileage drop, and wonder if there's a problem with the MDS system.?
The p0300 CEL also appeared after that weekend work, but I'm not sure the cause was clear.
I used 5w20 Mobil 1 EP, and the oil change sticker showed 5w30 from the previous owner. Is there a point where using 5w30 would have been correct? Everything I read here and a couple other forums seemed specific that anything other than 5w20 is no good for MDS. how do I know if it's active? I know a member here had an LED hooked up, but I can't find any diagrams or schematics around.
Prior to oil change, it was 13/18
After is 11/15

1 - 20 of 65 Posts