Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maybe can i get this thread re-titled " Josh's XJ Journey"

Ive been consumed with typical summer chaos...not that Fall is much less busy, but ive had some time to make an investment in my ride.
Over the past month ive been getting the " Trans Overtemp" warning, ecen with very little miles driven per occurance. Ive heard/read many potential causes from starters to bad trans fluid, so ive taken a couple preventative steps .
1. Check actual temp. Laser thermometer during warning shows no more then 150 deg at the return line.
2. Install temp gauge to verify when an "actual" problem occurs. So far ive mounted the gauge but trying to find the test port to plug the sensor into.
3. Changed trand fluid/filter. 123k miles, & No idea if previous owner ever did?
4. Added bilstein 5100s to "improve airflow to the undercarriage":wink3:/ level the front end.

On the short list for the winter will be tires , and adding coil spacers to the rear, and boosting the front to the higher strut setting.

I can't seem to find rear coil spacers alone without a frt/rr kit. Anyone have suggestions?
Here are the before/after front strut pics.
Before
2018-09-16_09-15-49 by J F, on Flickr
2018-09-16_09-16-42 by J F, on Flickr

After
20180916_173705 by J F, on Flickr

20180914_171935 by J F, on Flickr

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts

Ive been consumed with typical summer chaos...not that Fall is much less busy, but ive had some time to make an investment in my ride.
Over the past month ive been getting the " Trans Overtemp" warning, ecen with very little miles driven per occurance. Ive heard/read many potential causes from starters to bad trans fluid, so ive taken a couple preventative steps .
1. Check actual temp. Laser thermometer during warning shows no more then 150 deg at the return line.
2. Install temp gauge to verify when an "actual" problem occurs. So far ive mounted the gauge but trying to find the test port to plug the sensor into.
3. Changed trand fluid/filter. 123k miles, & No idea if previous owner ever did?
4. Added bilstein 5100s to "improve airflow to the undercarriage":wink3:/ level the front end.

On the short list for the winter will be tires , and adding coil spacers to the rear, and boosting the front to the higher strut setting.

I can't seem to find rear coil spacers alone without a frt/rr kit. Anyone have suggestions?
Before

After

I think you mean Josh's XK journey right? Done.

Also, you might want to read this:

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/transmission-overheating/

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Before

After

Here are some rear spacers only. Alternatively You could just get OME rear springs for around $160 on ebay iirc and that would give you some spring rate options (MD vs HD)

Rusty's Spacers - 2" Poly Rear (WK,XK) - WK Grand Cherokee ('05+) / XK Commander ('05+) - Jeep Coil Springs, Spacers & Accessories - Jeep Suspension

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thx lucky, i was thinking springs , but trying to skip out on the cheap. I know this sounds weird but i dont mind the factory spring rate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A bluetooth OBD sounds like fun Thanks for the link!
However, im at the point where im questioning the vehicles electronics, so i dont see how an electronic reading through the computer will be trustworthy.? Unless im missing something.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Starting to check out tire size options, and whether or not im willing to wait for spring and do the pinch weld mod 1st. Winter (&lack of a heated garage) does not typically encourage extra work on cars... also started having a slow coolant leak. Looks like from the plastic Ts at the heater hose connection. Maybe i can find brass Ts to replace those plastics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So now that tax time is approaching, im planning the next round of updates. Got through a pretty mild winter, but desperately needing tires now.
A couple things i cant seem to find answers on.

1. Can the bilstein 5100s be adjusted while installed, using regular screw type spring compressors to get under the spring seat to the snap ring?
2. On max 2inch height with stock rims, are 265 70 17s going to be a problem that require wheel spacers to solve?

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
So now that tax time is approaching, im planning the next round of updates. Got through a pretty mild winter, but desperately needing tires now.
A couple things i cant seem to find answers on.

1. Can the bilstein 5100s be adjusted while installed, using regular screw type spring compressors to get under the spring seat to the snap ring?
2. On max 2inch height with stock rims, are 265 70 17s going to be a problem that require wheel spacers to solve?
I know Bilstein makes 5100 front shock absorbers for XK's that are adjustable; I honestly don't know if they can be adjusted while installed, I would think so, but, I'm not 100% positive on that;

As far 265/70's I'm assuming you are talking about "P" passenger tires and not "LT" Light Truck tires, correct?

You are talking about trying to clear 265/70's on max 2 inch height - Max 2 inch height of what?

Do you have a spacer lift or adjustable shocks? Just trying to get an accurate picture.

Once you clarify, I can try and give you my opinion, for whatever you think it's worth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I know Bilstein makes 5100 front shock absorbers for XK's that are adjustable; I honestly don't know if they can be adjusted while installed, I would think so, but, I'm not 100% positive on that; i have them installed on lowest setting currently, and hoping someone has experience making adjustments

As far 265/70's I'm assuming you are talking about "P" passenger tires and not "LT" Light Truck tires, correct?
i have my eyes on Hankook ATM L.T.
You are talking about trying to clear 265/70's on max 2 inch height - Max 2 inch height of what?
+2" is the Max setting on the 5100 struts
Do you have a spacer lift or adjustable shocks? Just trying to get an accurate picture.
adjustable front without spacers, and only 2"poly spacers in rear
Once you clarify, I can try and give you my opinion, for whatever you think it's worth.
Thanks Blue,
I appreciate ALL feedback, its how things get figured out !

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Thanks Blue,
I appreciate ALL feedback, its how things get figured out !
Stircrayzy said:
i have my eyes on Hankook ATM L.T.

+2" is the Max setting on the 5100 struts

adjustable front without spacers, and only 2"poly spacers in rear
I highly doubt you will get 265/70's on that set-up without some rubbing - especially LT tires which are a little thicker and wider than "P" tires;

You are even more likely to have some rubbing if you are using the stock rims.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You won't be able to adjust the front struts when mounted. The spring rests on where the ring sits to adjust, you would need to remove them to adjust them.

At its highest, what's the max height? Can't remember lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Blue, better odds with wheel spacers + pinchweld?
Juju, bilstrin advertises +2" as max height, I am thinking to compress the springs while installed, and maybe sneak under the seat to move the snap ring.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks Blue, better odds with wheel spacers + pinchweld?
Juju, bilstrin advertises +2" as max height, I am thinking to compress the springs while installed, and maybe sneak under the seat to move the snap ring.
I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything...but that doesn't sound safe haha.

Wheel spacers and the weld mod will help, but you'll also need to be sure the fender liner is adjusted as well after the weld mod is done, that's the easiest part.

I run load E tires and love them! They are a bit heavier and cost a little more, but never an issue on the trails, plus the XK just feels a lot more stable on the road. Did hurt mpg's a little but hey, that's not the main reason for having the XK now is it? haha

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Im looking at having everything gathered shortly then getting everything buttoned up in a couple weeks. Mathematically this should keep me levelled out or at least still 1.5 higher in the rear like i sit now

Front , 3/8" strut plate plus 5100s set to +2"
Rear , rustys 2" poly spacer

Next project will be fitting full size 265x70x17 spare under the rear. Since my oem winch is shot, im going to try and convert to an eyebolt/wingnut type like the interior spare on my XJ.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Its been almost a week with no contact from cb engineering about shiping my 3/8 strut spacer. So i ordered the 2" daystar kit as a backup.
Spring break next week frees up the wifes car as a backup, which is my only window before summer to shut the XK down for a couple days. Tires are set for install next weekend, and the clock is tickin.

If i use the daystar kit, im planning to stick to the low setting on the 5100s, and end up at 21" if i get a solid 2" of lift.
BUT... maybe the mid setting could nail me right on at 22" hub to fender? Am i getting too greedy?
I double checked the rear is a pinch over 20 right now at stock height, and i would end up perfectly level if all goes well. Id prefer +1" in the rear, but guessing i could always stack an isolater later if needed right?

Another thing, if anyone has combined the daystar kit with 5100 extended strut... Did you eliminate any of the components which are intended to not overextend the factory length strut? Since the bilstein is capable of this +2" length travel, im thinking i only need the actual coil spacer added instead of the new strut plate and upper stem mount relocation parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So after a long weekend of murphys law , and struggle to get the spring compressed enough to fit the daystar front poly spacers, i made the call to go with the bilsteins at +2" (max) setting + made myself a set of 3/8" aluminum spacers for above the strut, since CB engineering completely ignored me and never shipped my order ! Theyre not real pretty, but not too bad for a couple hours of work.
[/url]Max height on 5100s + 3/8" strut spacer & stock tires. +2" daystar rear by J F, on Flickr[/IMG]
Also, ball joint stud trimmed.
Max height on 5100s + 3/8" strut spacer & stock tires. +2" daystar rear by J F, on Flickr

Heres the lift done on stock wheels.

Max height on 5100s + 3/8" strut spacer & stock tires. +2" daystar rear by J F, on Flickr

And now on 265x75x17 Falken ATW3 (P_ not LT)
Stock wheels, no spacers, only rubs left side of front sway bar at full lock.
2019-04-09_08-11-07 by J F, on Flickr
Left side New . What an improvement ! Im finally Jeeped up Proper
2019-04-09_08-12-12 by J F, on Flickr
New by J F, on Flickr

Left side Stock, " before" for a side by side!
2019-04-09_08-22-16 by J F, on Flickr

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
So after a long weekend of murphys law , and struggle to get the spring compressed enough to fit the daystar front poly spacers, i made the call to go with the bilsteins at +2" (max) setting + made myself a set of 3/8" aluminum spacers for above the strut, since CB engineering completely ignored me and never shipped my order ! Theyre not real pretty, but not too bad for a couple hours of work.

Also, ball joint stud trimmed.

Heres the lift done on stock wheels.

And now on 265x75x17 Falken ATW3 (P_ not LT)
Stock wheels, no spacers, only rubs left side of front sway bar at full lock.
2019-04-09_08-11-07 by J F, on Flickr
Left side New . What an improvement ! Im finally Jeeped up Proper
2019-04-09_08-12-12 by J F, on Flickr
Hey Josh, that looks great, very nice work.

CB Engineering - while they make a decent product, have a reputation for absolutely horrendous customer service; here's a review I wrote about them in the Buy/Sell Forums > Buyer/Seller/Vendor Reviews ;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...g-consumers-review-longtime-forum-member.html

21 - 40 of 65 Posts