Jeep Commander Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thx Blue.
Unfortunately, I didnt properly research them at all, but i couldnt find any other vendors selling a 3/8" strut plate. Lesson learned. At least I got refunded via paypal.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Thx Blue.
Unfortunately, I didnt properly research them at all, but i couldnt find any other vendors selling a 3/8" strut plate. Lesson learned. At least I got refunded via paypal.
That was the only thing that CB Engineering did in a timely fashion - they don't seem to have any problem blowing off their obligations to their customers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So im about done prepping to head out to silver lake sand dunes here in MI for the Jeep invasion this saturday !
Just finished a few things thatve been needed.
Mounted a fire extinguisher, shovel, and my first aid kit in the back.

Ordered/installed Steel armadillo front shackle mounts. Ill add some review after i use them more and give John a chance to respond to a couple concerns. Taking the bumper/grille off was super easy.
The most obvious issue i discovered after re-installing the bumper cover with the shackles already attached... the factory tow hook openings dont allow enough room for hand access to the shackle bolt.
XK May-19 by J F, on Flickr

Nothing an exacto couldnt fix though.

Fabbed a flag mount from some scrap aluminum plate. Maybe shouldnt have put a hole through the bumper cover, but whatever, it was easy enough, and once i added the shackle mount and nut plate in the bumper it gave a nice quick mounting point that i couldnt pass up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've had the shackle mounts on mine for a couple years, and I've found that the best way to get the bolts undone is to just carry a set of vice grips. The bolts tend to tighten up a bit while driving and there isn't enough room to get a good grip on the bolt otherwise.

You may also want to watch for rust on them. Unfortunately, on mine the finish started flaking off and allowing a little surface rust. There's more than enough metal so I'm not concerned about them rusting through, but I also live in California where rust isn't really a problem anyway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the heads up. Here in MI your car will rot out from under you in 20 years, unless its garage kept. Ill keep my eyes on it.

I also added a swing down tire carrier on the cheap... $45 (+ bike rack...;) )
Just bolted on for the trip up north.
Its not quite perfect, but holds my spare nice and secure until i solve the replacement for getting it back underneath without using the seized up cable winch. Plus still fits 2 bikes!
Started with this i found at a local trailer shop.
Tire carrier by J F, on Flickr

Added a hole at 4.75" which is the hole to hole distance of our 5 on 5 pattern. And set 2 1/2x20 threaded rods in place nice and tight. Now dont flame me for the excess rod length i left hanging. These will be repurposed for the same duty under the rear of the jeep when i get around to it. There i need the full 8inches of length to get the tire mounted.

Here you can see the only drawback... the wheel face doesnt touch the plate face, there is 2.25 " gap that i will be making a spacer to fill. I have the lugs tight enough to pinch the tire onto the bike rack vertical tube using sidewall tension. 10 mile test drive went ok.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Pretty nifty use of a trailer spare tire mount

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks drm.
After a few hundred miles and 6 hours of bashing around silver lake, it held up perfectly!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found days and days worth of info using the search box here, always a bit overwhelming getting used to a new vehicle and all its little nuances. I can't wait to build this up though, hoping the budget allows for a reasonable pace.
Can you help a newb out? As with all forums, it pays to use the search function before sounding stupid. But every time I try searching, I get no results...literally zero. I’ve tried using general search terms like “3.7” and specific terms like “how to raise engine for 3.7 oil pan replacement”. I end up googling and trying to work my way back to the forum that way. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Picked up a FlashpaqF5 3874 this past weekend. Definitely better drivability, but i havent tried many of the tune settings yet, only 87Perf. I dont see options for fog lights, or many other veh settings other than drivetrain related items. So far pretty happy with it.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Picked up a FlashpaqF5 3874 this past weekend. Definitely better drivability, but i havent tried many of the tune settings yet, only 87Perf. I dont see options for fog lights, or many other veh settings other than drivetrain related items. So far pretty happy with it.
I have the same Superchips F5 3874 Tuner, it has it's uses like adjusting the speedometer for larger diameter tires, adjusting your Computer's tune for regular driving, high performance or towing and clearing DTC's. You also have to make sure you check for updates for your "Ignition" software every few months.

If you really want to get into to your XK's programming and have full access to all the features like foglights, headlights, TPM sensor system and pretty much anything else you could think of, you need to get the Appcar DiagFCA OBD2 software; All the information you need to order it is here - I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/67642-tpms-issue-5.html

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks, thats a good read, good to know there are some other options. I may keep that on my long term list.
Looks like more effort than i have time for right now. I dont have any real problems that would address, but looks like a nice novelty.
I think ill go back to the "igntion" software and see if anything new pops up now that the Vehicle is stored in my unit.
For reference sake ... "ignition" is now discontinued, and Superchips has renamed it as Update Agent 1.0 took me a bit of searching to figure this out since the manual still said to download "ignition" and i was not reading the fine print very well on the superchips update page.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Thanks, thats a good read, good to know there are some other options. I may keep that on my long term list.
Looks like more effort than i have time for right now. I dont have any real problems that would address, but looks like a nice novelty.
I think ill go back to the "igntion" software and see if anything new pops up now that the Vehicle is stored in my unit.
For reference sake ... "ignition" is now discontinued, and Superchips has renamed it as Update Agent 1.0 took me a bit of searching to figure this out since the manual still said to download "ignition" and i was not reading the fine print very well on the superchips update page.
That's good to know; I'll be interested to see if the name of my icon changes the next time I check for updates; Last time I checked probably 4 or 5 months ago, my Ignition icon still worked as designed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So, getting a little frustrated trying to adjust tire size, i have been taking 3-4mile drives between adjustments of 1/4" diameter, but speedo keeps staying 2-3mph under GPS actual speed. Ive tried resetting everything to stock values a couple times, and im trying from 31 to 32.75" diameter and not able to get an accurate reading. Must be doing something wrong? Guess ill have to check for software updates to see if there is anything im missing.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
So, getting a little frustrated trying to adjust tire size, i have been taking 3-4mile drives between adjustments of 1/4" diameter, but speedo keeps staying 2-3mph under GPS actual speed. Ive tried resetting everything to stock values a couple times, and im trying from 31 to 32.75" diameter and not able to get an accurate reading. Must be doing something wrong? Guess ill have to check for software updates to see if there is anything im missing.
It can be frustrating. Usually you'll find your tires actual diameter listed somewhere, either on the tire itself or your tire brands (Good Year, BF Goodrich, etc.) website; Use that diameter as your starting point.

The only other thing I'd say is make sure you are checking the speedo at various speeds, if you're off, it will be more pronounced at highway speeds than it will be at 25-35 MPH.

Try making your adjustments in .5 inch increments.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thats way more complex than needed, i really just used percentages to figure out estimates. My problem right now is that i am entering new tire sizes using the flashpaq, but not seeing any adjustments reflected on the speedo.
No new updates when i plugged into the PC, so looks like im going to give superchips cust svc a call today.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Thats way more complex than needed, i really just used percentages to figure out estimates. My problem right now is that i am entering new tire sizes using the flashpaq, but not seeing any adjustments reflected on the speedo.
No new updates when i plugged into the PC, so looks like im going to give superchips cust svc a call today.
Did you read my previous post??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It can be frustrating. Usually you'll find your tires actual diameter listed somewhere, either on the tire itself or your tire brands (Good Year, BF Goodrich, etc.) website; Use that diameter as your starting point.

The only other thing I'd say is make sure you are checking the speedo at various speeds, if you're off, it will be more pronounced at highway speeds than it will be at 25-35 MPH.

Try making your adjustments in .5 inch increments.
Did you read my previous post??
Yes.
Im completely disregarding actual tire size, because its not relevant when making adjustments of 1/4" increments within almost a 2inch diameter window of where a 265x70x17 should be. Sorry i didnt confirm that my checks were done between 25 and 70mph. Between 35-50 is where im off by 2 ish as the average, and proportionally off from there.
The root problem seems to be zero adjustments are actually being sent to the vehicle. At superchips advice, i reset tires to stock value to see if it goes back to 5-6mph off. If it still doesnt change back tomorrow, i have to get with their engineering group to troubleshoot the device monday. The tech support guy actually suggested it might be set in centimeters? The math on the actual speed would be WAY off though, so im sure how they could even suggest that.

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Yes.
Im completely disregarding actual tire size, because its not relevant when making adjustments of 1/4" increments within almost a 2inch diameter window of where a 265x70x17 should be. Sorry i didnt confirm that my checks were done between 25 and 70mph. Between 35-50 is where im off by 2 ish as the average, and proportionally off from there.
The root problem seems to be zero adjustments are actually being sent to the vehicle. At superchips advice, i reset tires to stock value to see if it goes back to 5-6mph off. If it still doesnt change back tomorrow, i have to get with their engineering group to troubleshoot the device monday. The tech support guy actually suggested it might be set in centimeters? The math on the actual speed would be WAY off though, so im sure how they could even suggest that.
I can't speak for your Flashpaq obviously, but I know my F5 displayed the tire diameter in inches. Talked about that in detail the first time I adjusted my tire size in this thread;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...ods/30697-tuner-programmer-suggestions-2.html

41 - 60 of 65 Posts