Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This last weekend, Mike & I did an overnight trip into an area I haven't been in much. Seems we usually seem to be somewhere besides Washington... like Silverton Colorado. :D Gotta start exploring the ol' home state more.

Here's more info on that old lookout: http://www.aworc.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2750

Here's a link to the album: http://picasaweb.google.com/CSUeltzen/2009JumpOffLookout?feat=directlink

The old lookout tower at the end of the road... 13 miles in.

Our camp site on an altitude 5,700' knoll. (Mt. Rainier in the distance)

The view about 9pm:

And the same view about 5:30am:

Standing on the lookout's deck: (Rimrock lake in the distance)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I do miss that scenery. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
great view ..
thank you for sharing nice pictures

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a beautiful place.

So, do you sleep inside the old lookout?
Nope, too much rat crap in there. (Probably pack rats, actually) Vandals have broken half the windows out, and all but a few are blocked with plywood.

The wind there was cold, and blasting about 25 MPH. We camped a few miles east on the ridge, on the knoll. It wasn't as bad there with a tree line to block the wind coming from the west.

The lookout itself sits right out on the point, so stepping off the deck would be off into about 1,000 of air. It's a nerve racking place to stand. :)

The sky was FANTASTIC on that knoll. Neither of us got much sleep because we stared straight up most of the night. We had to yell at each other because the cots were 25 feet apart, and all we had exposed in that 5 MPH of 40 degree breeze was our eyeballs. The sliver of a moon didn't rise 'til maybe 1am. The Milky Way was bright and well defined.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
looks like a very nice place even though it had rats and vandals. Looks like you had a nice camp spot too.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Looks beautiful, thanks for sharing. What mountain is that?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sunset/sunrise mountain in the photos is Mt. Rainier.

To the south, and its top was just peaking up past other mountains, was Mt. Adams. I didn't post any of that one since I have much better ones taken from other places.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Now that we've moved near Fort Lewis, seeing Mt. Raineer everyday is such a great sight. Now I need to go find somewhere to get my XK dirty! Thanks for the great pics and I guess I'll have to drag the kids up there sometime soon!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Make sure you get up there and take the kids on the ferry to Vashion island too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts