Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I have a Jeep Commander 2009 - AWD - QT-1 - about 179k miles in Southern NM - put plenty of miles on it, now it's not being driven as much and I'd like to repair what I can to hopefully use to teach the kids to drive or just have as an extra vehicle. I've been reading about the clunk noise when shifting gears - I definitely have that. The big concern currently is this noise during acceleration above 65 when on the highway. I've read it could be the gears? I don't know. Hope it's nothing major, we'll see! I don't normally post much on forums unless I'm making a repair and I'm looking for advice or if I can help someone else out. Saludos!
::2009::AWD::3.7L V6::Blue::Nothing Fancy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noise at highway speeds

Alright, I'm looking for help figuring out what's going on with the AWD at highway speeds. The differentials or the bearings, something is making a dry whirring or howling noise near the front of the Commander. It's not terribly loud, but it's noisy enough to hear in the cabin and only occurs while accelerating. when I let off the accelerator and "coast" the noise stops, then starts up again as soon as I activate the accelerator. any thoughts? Other than that, this jeep has been great...aaaand the expensive starter replacement when the receiver went out and I purchased and programmed two keys. Let's see if my vehicle specs show up to the left <--
I have a 2009 Commander, 3.7L v6, AWD, QT-I

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 posts in new member section

Just wondering, but what is the reason for the 10 posts rule in the New Member Section? I don't know if I have 10 things to post about.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What speed does it seem to start at? Is it worse at 60mph or so?
I have a similar noise. I think it's the front half shafts.

Other causes are gear misalignment, front hub bearings, front driveshaft CV joints, or xfer case bearings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im gonna say that the noise at 60 is probably the cv joint on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. Its easy to crawl underneath and check the rubber boot. It will probably be ripped on the inner part where its not as noticeable. Im sure the bad dif bushing probably amplifies the noise too. I had the high speed howl on my jgc and rebuilding the cv joint on the t-case end of the driveshaft fixed the problem completely.. There are a few good you tube videos on fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Just wondering, but what is the reason for the 10 posts rule in the New Member Section? I don't know if I have 10 things to post about.
This is a forum requirement set by the administrators. Helps cut down on Spammers.

Most people meet the requirement over time, responding to other members posts - or asking questions of their own.

It's not that difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What speed does it seem to start at? Is it worse at 60mph or so?
I have a similar noise. I think it's the front half shafts.

Other causes are gear misalignment, front hub bearings, front driveshaft CV joints, or xfer case bearings.
I notice it at around 45 mph prior to starting highway on ramp acceleration. Of course, once I reach cruising speed I let off the accelerator and the noise ceases. When I apply the smallest amount of acceleration, it begins again. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im gonna say that the noise at 60 is probably the cv joint on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. Its easy to crawl underneath and check the rubber boot. It will probably be ripped on the inner part where its not as noticeable. Im sure the bad dif bushing probably amplifies the noise too. I had the high speed howl on my jgc and rebuilding the cv joint on the t-case end of the driveshaft fixed the problem completely.. There are a few good you tube videos on fixing it.
Thanks @Carbuff I'll look for the videos. I believe I found a thread on here where a user had the same issue. As well and I'll re-read that as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a forum requirement set by the administrators. Helps cut down on Spammers.

Most people meet the requirement over time, responding to other members posts - or asking questions of their own.

It's not that difficult.

Thanks @Big Blue, I know it's not that difficult, I'm actually just trying to meet my post quota in this new member section so I can start spamming. Just kidding. Thanks for responding.

While I got you here, I noticed when I logged in using my iPad, there is a status bar indicating whether I've met certain requirements as a new member, however, the lapto-puter doesn't have that feature. Is it going to be added later to the full site? Perhaps I overlooked it? Thanks

<---not a robot

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks @Big Blue, I know it's not that difficult, I'm actually just trying to meet my post quota in this new member section so I can start spamming. Just kidding. Thanks for responding.

While I got you here, I noticed when I logged in using my iPad, there is a status bar indicating whether I've met certain requirements as a new member, however, the lapto-puter doesn't have that feature. Is it going to be added later to the full site? Perhaps I overlooked it? Thanks

<---not a robot
I've not been told about those features being added to the site.

If you have any questions about the requirements - they are all pretty much spelled out for you here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-required-reading-new-member-introduction-post-other-important-new-member-info.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts