Jeep Commander Forum banner

Will you be attending Jeep Skool / June 4-6, 2010?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELCOME TO Ohio's Premier SAFE-LEGAL-FUN for FAMILY outdoor recreational facility.

JeepSkool- Not just a Jeep thing...It's a way of life. -We are a SAFE-LEGAL-FUN for FAMILY place.

Come relax in the new Timber framed pavilion. We offer fishing-camping-boating-hiking-and MORE! Other weekends will have fishing tournaments, Sporting Clays, and if you have an ATV - visit http://www.ATVSkool.com
Treat the ground you're on like it's your Dads. Be it JeepSkool, Moab or on the Outer Banks. If you trash it, it won't be long before it’s not there for anyone to enjoy.

THE FORUM
It would be really nice for everyone to be on the same JeepSkool page. The forum only reaches a small portion of the JeepSkooler’s. I’m sure many join, check the date, and show up. Never really reading the rules or anything! So a mandatory membership and meeting(Skool) is necessary. We should really encourage people to read these threads and learn a lot! For those who don't have computers, your local library has free access. How helpful are JS'ers ?..post up and ask. Someone will always help. There is going to be a lot of common sense things to be found on JeepSkool.com and at "Skool". It will help everyone have a great time out there. It will help keep you from tearing up your rig and tearing up JeepSkool's beautiful property and making for wonderful memories.

Forum Registration:
You must be a JeepSkool.com forum member to attend events. It's free and easy to do. It only takes a minute or two. Be sure to respond to the automatic E-mail reply to activate your account.
To register on the forum, Click here
We practice Netiquette here at JeepSkool.

Event registration:
1- Guest must show a valid ID and sign a waiver at time of registration.
Minors must have a notarized waiver signed by their parent if attending with someone else.
2-Drivers must attend a “Skool”*(class) on event days. Your attendance will give you access to JeepSkool for 2009**. Guest may be "Skooled" for a ten dollar fee.
3- ENJOY a JeepSkool event!
**We reserve the right to revoke this privilege at any time.
* "Skool" A class teaching Off-Road safety techniques and recovery procedures. Basic property rules. Approximate length 1 hr

SAFE-LEGAL-FUN for FAMILIES !

ATTENDING JeepSkool – What to expect
Attending JeepSkool is very easy. First - you must become a member of this website. You can do that by Clicking here or the "REGISTER" link above to create a user account. NO admittance without being a member of this website - your passengers are not required to be members but still need a Adult waiver and/or Minor waiver. (must have new waiver each month unless they are Skooled card holding members)

Then - check out when the next JeepSkool event is. Look on the forums main index page for the next JeepSkool event and get the latest flier. You never know, your truck may even be featured on it! Plan to be out all day or camp out and stay all weekend. Pack some snacks and beverages. Pack a change of clothes, bring your boots, bring your friends. There is NO alcohol on the trails - period.

We meet at HAYLETT'S BP at the intersection of RT82 and RT44 at Mantua Corners,Ohio 44255 on event days before 9am as we depart for the trails at 9:30am sharp. This is the last call to gas up your 4x4 and get those items you may have forgotten at home (they have excellent SUBS). We recommend a full tank of BP gas because you'll be wheeling much of the day and we don't have gas pumps on the trails.

We then ride out to the property where we will collect the entrance fee of $30 per vehicle and $5 per passenger over 15 yrs old. Also your signed waivers. There is a $10 fee for Camping. There is also a $15 charge for electrical hook-up. The membership card holding "Skooled" members will then head off on the trails. If this is your first time to JeepSkool - you will be required to attend a "Skool" session which will cover the basic rules of the property, some trail safety requirements, and answer any questions you have. This will last about an hour or so. If you've NEVER been off-road before - we have instructors that will lead a basic novice trail ride to help you learn about your rig. Some people don't know when to use 4HI or 4LO or how to approach an obstacle - this trail ride will cover it. This will help you learn to off-road and prevent you from tearing up your 4x4. If you are experienced - there will be a trail ride for you right after class that will give you a tour of the property. It is entertaining and you may learn the boundaries and a little history about the property. You can also just go out by yourself or with a friend and explore on your own if you are comfortable doing that.

WHAT DOES YOUR RIG NEED?
Anyone can enjoy JeepSkool in any 4x4 - stock or modified. However, to make your life and everyone else's a little simpler, we recommend a few items without breaking the bank. What are the first things a newbie should do to his/her rig? You probably have half this stuff laying around the house or can get it used for cheap. (Craigs list/Ebay/garage sales)

TOW HOOKS-TOW HOOKS-TOW HOOKS - This is the first thing we recommend. You can't borrow these on the trail like a tow strap or a jack or anything else. This is where you need to spend your first dollars. Proper hooks and brackets can be purchased from Bob Crow at ON& OFF ROAD 4 WHEEL DRIVE. They MUST be properly mounted to the frame of your 4x4 usingGRADE 8 hardware. We have seen lesser hardware fail too often and it creates a flying object that puts peoples lives in danger. Each vehicle uses a different style - order the right ones for a drill free installation. A frame mounted 2" receiver hitch will suffice as a rear recovery point. Just poke the tow strap with loops into it and insert the pin. At JeepSkool - Robocon leaves no man behind - we'll get you out - it's best you have somewhere to hook to instead of an axle or plastic bumper.

SPARE TIRE - Same size as you are running - no donuts. Mismatch size tires are rough on a drive train. It could be a cheap used tire on a steel rim that only comes out for off-roading trips - that is all you need. You may be able to score one on the "buy/sell/trade/wanted" section.

TOW STRAP - Sometimes it's a scavenger hunt trying to find these things in a line of Jeeps, or you may be out by yourself or with a friend and you may have to leave a vehicle sit while you drive back to town to get one. We suggest getting a tow strap with loops on the ends - if it breaks - it will do less damage to you or your rig than something with a metal hook on then end. NO metal hooks at JeepSkool – leave those at home. Proper Tow Straps are usually available in the JeepSkool office for a reasonable price.

TOOL BOX/DUCT TAPE/BUNGEE CORDS/JUMPER CABLES - You never know when you'll have to fix something on the trail. Please secure all gear in your rig because you will be bouncing around – you don't want to get hit in the back your head by a tool or jack handle.

CB RADIO & WALKIE TALKIES - it's fun to listen to the rest of the trail chatter on the CB - really helpful if you get stuck by yourself somewhere. JeepSkool operates on CHANNEL 16. CB's are a great way to talk to others in your convoy on the way to JeepSkool. The professionals from Circle City CB are at most JeepSkool events and can professionally install a complete system for about $100* while you sit through “Skool” (*could be more or less). They bring everything with them. You can get tuned up for $10 if you have an existing CB system and it's not working properly. Another good idea would be to get walkie talkies if you have a small group you would like to talk privately too.

WINCH – Not necessary on your first trip out to JeepSkool, but it should be near the top of your list when you start upgrading your rig. Make sure it is securely mounted to a good SOLID bumper. Also make sure you have all the correct accessories to accompany your winch (tree savers, snatch blocks, etc).Available at JeepSkool in the Factory. Or, ask Bob Crow at ON & OFF ROAD 4 WHEEL DRIVE and he can direct you in the best direction to go. Don't go cheap on a winch – GO PREPARED – go with WARN.

FIRST AID KIT/FIRE EXTINGUISHER – it's always good to have these items close at hand, you never know when you will need them. Emergencies-call 911 first!

HI-LIFT JACK???
No, not really. Your stock jack is safer and will lift your stock rig in more cases. HI-LIFT jacks should only be used as a last resort and by properly trained persons. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THESE – they are very unstable and even worse on loose terrain. If you carry a HI-LIFT – make sure it is bolted down and will not come loose and potentially injure your occupants. Use your money for a CB or Tow Hooks first. You can usually borrow one of these, you can't borrow tow hooks.

LOG CHAINS??
NO, Log chains should not be used for tugging stuck vehicles – these are only for securing things like logs on semi trailers.

This is just a list for the newbies - I'm sure everyone else has an opinion and maybe I forgot something. As you off-road more and more ,you see other items that will help you out – ask a veteran for other ideas,or share your Suggestions/comments here. Of course some will say rock rails, bumpers, lift kit, mud tires, skid plates, etc. But those come later if you find that you like Jeeping.

Can we enjoy the property at other times besides JeepSkool events?
JeepSkool events are held once a month and are open to all JeepSkool.com members. The property is available for scheduling your events at SouthingtonHuntClub.com or contact [email protected].
This is a private piece of property and is not open to the general public on a daily basis. Anyone caught trespassing will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

JeepSkool event dates only
HOURS OF OPERATION
Office- Fri-Sat-Sun 9am-6pm
No admission before or after admission hours
Skooled members check in times are:
Friday-Saturday - 9am to 6pm
Sunday 9am to 12 noon

Trails open-
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Friday - 10am to 11pm
Saturday - 10am to 11pm
Sunday - 10am to 9pm

Rifle Range - Noon til 4pm
Main Gates close at 9pm nightly. No re-entry after 9pm
Campground Quiet time - 11pm to 7am
If you must leave JeepSkool for any reason, proof of entry must be shown at the Factory office before re-entering the property.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
This is a wonderful place, I have been there many times.
Looks like we have a 3 day event. This is good, because we are getting a day free.
Usually it is the same price for Saturday/Sunday.

The forum rules prohibit trying to get members to move to another forum,
but this is a membership thing. An insurance requirement if you will. The
way this is set up, it is a club with members. The structure provides
benefits for tax and insurance purposes. Not an attempt to move
members from one forum to another.:cowfrown:

People have been banned in the past for posting links to other forums and
trying to get people to join. :icon_redface:

Ok I am sure I have said more than I should have or needed to, but I wanted
to offer an additional insight so this thread wouldnt get deleted :ugh2: and
TYMAC :grim: banned for soliciting.

Been there, done that.....

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Count me in for all 3 days. Got to get some use out of my tent finally. Like cico said this place is a blast. Now that I have a lift, it is going to be even more fun.
Hope those that came last time and those that couldn't can be there for the fun.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Copy and paste if attending:

Little Evil

·
Premium Member
191 Posts

Little Evil
Tymac
CrunchyWizard

·
Premium Member
753 Posts

Little Evil
Tymac
CrunchyWizard
wmjacobsjr

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
By the way, I still have the flag from our run in November and will bring it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I will be talking to my buddies getting them signed up and such I just registered and will be talking to the wife about going...hopefully its a yes. When I find out, I will post again!...starting to get excited for some new trails and people!

P.S. do you think I will need my under body plating (armor) by then or should I be all right ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I want to go to one of these, I just mapped it - over 9 hours drive time!!

I know my neighbor wants to go too, so we'll make it there someday...

·
Registered
422 Posts
BTW the camping there... is it a camp ground area (water, electric facilities or available) or natural camping...are we able to bring a pop-up trailer... or is it tent only...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I've been getting burned lately with some planning failures on my part between Little League and Cub Scouts and a host of too many other things so I'm in Risk Management mode for my summer outings..

So:

The only reference I see to Fridays is a note that Fridays are now only open to 'premier members' (http://www.jeepskool.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5934&p=81268&hilit=premier#p81268) and 'Friday arrival times TBA.' From my reading of the link on that page, it appears that one need only make a PayPal donation to the forum to become a 'premier' member, so I'm guessing that five or ten bucks would do it. Anyone know for sure?

Also, do we need to make camping reservations? I read through all of the 'Attending Jeep Skool' pages and didn't see anything about reservations; just want to make sure the camp site doesn't fill up and leave us scrambling for an alternative or motel.. Feel free to tell me not to worry about it, but only if you KNOW it's not a problem. I don't want to bother Robocon if someone knows the answer. The one time I attended, we stayed in a nearby motel but we're definitely camping this time.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again!! I should have my GL4x4 bumper mounted by then (barring any MORE scheduling screw ups by yours-truly)

I'm thinking of bringing some of my boom-sticks along to make some noise at the range. Anyone else got an itchy trigger finger? :rocket:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
you can camp anywhere on the premises. They don't take camp reservations. If you need electricity, may be a different story.

We'll see what TYMAC says abut this premiere membership....but i am betting since it is a planned outing, wont have to worry about that part.

Tents, Motorhomes, popup,...there is an area with hook ups.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ok more inportant question for the to be wife...are there restroom facilities or porto johns?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a new shower/restroom facility that was finished last fall. Big and clean with privacy. They finished it just before the pavilion was done.

I should have an answer in the next day or two regarding the premier membership, but like cico said I'm betting since many of you are coming from way out of town they will wave it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
They only have electrical service, no water or sewer. They have a black water service for $10.
I gave $10 and became a Premier Member.

I am yet to aquire a firearm yet. If I bring some ammo and targets can I shoot?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the reply from the founder of JeepSkool.

"Jason,

I would be happy to waive the PM requirements for your out of town guests.
I greatly appreciate your support and helping us spread the SAFE-LEGAL-FUN for FAMILY word about JeepSkool.

Thanks my friend,

-K"

If this is the only Friday you plan to attend this year then the message would apply to you.

As we get closer to the event please post expected times of arrival for first time attendees or for those of you that forgot where the factory/entrance is located. I will pm the list of attendees with my cell number before the event.

Also, I'm going to go out in May to prepare a different trail ride for each day. So if anyone would like to follow or ride with me send me a pm.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I am yet to aquire a firearm yet. If I bring some ammo and targets can I shoot?
I would be happy to accommodate you. The ammo you would need would be either 7.62x51 (.308 NATO), 7.62x39, 9mm parabellum, .38/.357 magnum, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .45 Long Colt.

I'm bringing my FN FAL, my wife's AK47, and a couple handguns. Let me know what your preference is out of the above pistol calibers and I'll make sure to bring it. If you get the .45 ACP, stay away from Winchester white-box; it doesn't have enough power to cycle my custom-built Colt :devil:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts