Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, (my wife) has an 07 with the 3.7 v6 and about 98k miles. Has been a decent vehicle but needs some servicing and attention.

We tow a boat and trailer about 4000 to 5000 miles a year, I would guess the weight is 2500 lbs.

A couple of things needing attention, and I would appreciate any feedback or advise.

1. driver side seat control. the cable is busted that goes across from the "drive track" to the other track (console side). Is there a better fix than the cable? Is it a difficult job? The dealer wants $300

2. Heat/AC/Fan controls. It seems to have a mind of its own, you can have the temperature dial set cool to come out at the floor and it will blow hot out at the dash outlets. The fan can be turned off but still blowing air. It is very strange. Is there a common problem?

3. Because of the towing I have had the transmission flushed twice. It works ok but I have a hesitation or small slip from time to time when (typically) pulling out from a stop. Does it need to be "flashed"?

4. Not urgent but, it seems very "rolly" or "soft" suspension wise. Any thing to help that?

If there are any links to these topics or if anyone has direction/suggestions, I would appreciate it. It looks like we intend to keep it for some time to come. It has been a practical vehicle, and it looks good too.

Thanks

Toby

·
Banned
389 Posts
I, (my wife) has an 07 with the 3.7 v6 and about 98k miles. Has been a decent vehicle but needs some servicing and attention.

We tow a boat and trailer about 4000 to 5000 miles a year, I would guess the weight is 2500 lbs.

A couple of things needing attention, and I would appreciate any feedback or advise.

1. driver side seat control. the cable is busted that goes across from the "drive track" to the other track (console side). Is there a better fix than the cable? Is it a difficult job? The dealer wants $300

2. Heat/AC/Fan controls. It seems to have a mind of its own, you can have the temperature dial set cool to come out at the floor and it will blow hot out at the dash outlets. The fan can be turned off but still blowing air. It is very strange. Is there a common problem?

3. Because of the towing I have had the transmission flushed twice. It works ok but I have a hesitation or small slip from time to time when (typically) pulling out from a stop. Does it need to be "flashed"?

4. Not urgent but, it seems very "rolly" or "soft" suspension wise. Any thing to help that?

If there are any links to these topics or if anyone has direction/suggestions, I would appreciate it. It looks like we intend to keep it for some time to come. It has been a practical vehicle, and it looks good too.

Thanks

Toby
I'll leave it up to other forum members to comment on the first few questions of your issues, but my advice for your transmission is to replace a couple of your quarts of ATF+4 fluid with B&M Synthetic Trick Shift. Do an internet search on the product, I use it in my '08 XK and it works great, I'd also recommend you buy the Superchips Flashpaq especially if you wanna further firm up the trans. shifting and it also adds more horsepower and torque to your engine which will help with the increased loads from towing a boat. :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'll leave it up to other forum members to comment on the first few questions of your issues, but my advice for your transmission is to replace a couple of your quarts of ATF+4 fluid with B&M Synthetic Trick Shift. Do an internet search on the product, I use it in my '08 XK and it works great, I'd also recommend you buy the Superchips Flashpaq especially if you wanna further firm up the trans. shifting and it also adds more horsepower and torque to your engine which will help with the increased loads from towing a boat. :)
You don't know the long term effects of these aftermarket, different then recommended, fluids and modifications.

Personally, I find in most cases the best way to keep a vehicle performing best, most reliably and with the longest life, is to maintain the systems meeting or exceeding the manfufacturers recommendations.

The Trick Shift Fluid and Flashpaq reprogramming may NOT hurt, but everyone might NOT enjoy the quicker and firmer shifts that produces. And doing this to to bring a poor shifting trans back toward better shifting is likely just masking the problem.

Never done it, but looking at my own power seat, I'm guessing that is a spinning cable to drive the screw jack on the other rail of the seat, I don't think your going to be able to improvise any fix easily, might as well resign yourself to buying a new part. Do it yourself and you'll save a lot on labor. Or find an independent shop in town that will likely cost less than the dealer, you can even see if you can buy a junkyard part.

Yes, its a fairly common problem, the blend doors that control air flow are moved by an electric motor and a set of plastic gears/cams/cogs. There are some posts that a plastic arm to the doors break and causes this, I think you can a replacement part from the dealer for less than $40 and install it yourself to fix this. Do a search for the posts.

Have you've been replacing your axle fluid? Check your O.M. you may be due to change XFR case fluid as well, personally, if you've been towing, I'd replace XFR case fluid, even if its early according to the O.M.

There is a TSB out warning against flushing transmissions, you're just suppose to drop the pan and change fluid and filter in the pan. Use only ATF+4, (there are a couple of high buck Synthetics that are NOT officially ATF+4, that people agree would work as well or better) but using typical other trans fluids, like Dexron or Mercon, can cause problems.

The flash for the trans is for the 545RFE trans that came with the V8's, with a V6 I'm almost positive you have a NAG1/W5A580 Trans, and I don't think that has a flash update out for it. Beside the flash updates were for shifting/downshifting while moving, NOT pulling out from a stop.

Are you really experiencing trans slip? Could this be the engine? When was the last time you changed the plugs? My 2010 O.M. says to do it every 30k miles, it could be different for other M/Y's.
The suspension has always been too "rolly or soft" for you, OR, you have noticed it has started to get more "rolly or soft"?
Shocks/Struts will start to degrade and effect ride and handling, and often around a 100k miles its noticeable. Some of the higher CG vehicles, like the Commander, do have sway bar bushings wear out, that will cause clunks as you drive over bumps. With the Double wishbone suspension, its also possible to have ball joints wear out by 100k miles, that will cause a sloppy feel to the suspension and clunks as well.

·
1,993 Posts
I, (my wife)

I know mongo said it already but I'm going to repeat. You're not suppose to flush your trans. You may have shortened the life of your trans or caused the slip you're feeling. Don't flush the trans anymore just drop the pan change the filters.

Your suspension is probably worn out at that amount of miles especially towing all the time. Take the opportunity and upgrade the parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts