Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was curious, what will happen if i was going 60 mph and a passenger accidentally nudges the shifter into R or P while i was driving.
Does the commander gearbox has some protections for this sort of thing.

PS I know its highly unlikely but was just curious.
馃槃

Banned
Hi,
I was curious, what will happen if i was going 60 mph and a passenger accidentally nudges the shifter into R or P while i was driving.
Does the commander gearbox has some protections for this sort of thing.

PS I know its highly unlikely but was just curious.
馃槃
60 mph in reverse!?!? You must be one of those stunt drivers doing crazy turns and stuff!!!

On serious note I'm not sure though and I'm not about to test it. Good luck on your search.

Registered
I haven't tested it, but almost every modern automatic has safety features in place for exactly this type of event. Most automatics won't even try to engage reverse at speed, instead remaining in neutral, and similar with park.

Registered
I wouldn't test it, but I was reading in the service manual the other day, and it seems to me the shift lever is really just a sensor asking permission from the computer, to do what you want to do, then the computer looks at the input from a bunch of sensors ,to determine if your command, gets sent to the transmission. this may seem a little simplistic. but have you noticed , if you try to manually select a gear too low, it wont shift into that gear until you reach a speed that the computer will allow it to shift,And if you are moving ,it wont let you shift from Hi range to Lo range, it tells you to read your manual. So I'm pretty sure it won;t let you shift into reverse at 60 mph. Art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts