Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front: 3" lift using strut forks and Bilstien 4600 struts. Rear: 2.5 lift using coil springs spacer and Bilstien 5100 shocks. A couple pictures. Now I need to get bigger tires. Recommendations? Do I need to replace the rims?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Front: 3" lift using strut forks and Bilstien 4600 struts. Rear: 2.5 lift using coil springs spacer and Bilstien 5100 shocks. A couple pictures. Now I need to get bigger tires. Recommendations? Do I need to replace the rims?
26570R17's.

No, you don't have to replace the rims unless you want to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had my stock rims sand/media blasted and powder coated. Went xtra heavy duty on powder coat and it cost me $90 a rim...
Also what kind of tires are u getting? Look into the Goodyear Wrangler Duratract!! Load range E... AMAZING..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was considering 255 75 17 BF Goodrich M/T but think I would have to put some kind of wheel spacers on. I am looking for options but need to get new tires in the next day or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Decoded to go 265 70 17 as recommended. Chose 1.5" spacers, Pro Comp AT's (I think it came out to a 31.5" diameter). Chose 4 Wheel Parts as vendor and install. Added their in house warranty at $150 that covers full replacement 0 cost for first 50% of tread, on and off-road. Great warranty! Will post pictures after the install on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Thanks for the input. Decoded to go 265 70 17 as recommended. Chose 1.5" spacers, Pro Comp AT's (I think it came out to a 31.5" diameter). Chose 4 Wheel Parts as vendor and install. Added their in house warranty at $150 that covers full replacement 0 cost for first 50% of tread, on and off-road. Great warranty! Will post pictures after the install on Monday.
I have a 2 inch RC lift and that's the tire size that I'm running and it's also the tire size that Rough Country recommends to run with their 2 inch lift.

The 26570R17's give me over an inch of additional sidewall height so I'm actually 3 inches (maybe slightly more) above factory ride height.

I think you'll be very happy with the way those tires look & perform with your lift.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing your lift components.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2 inch RC lift and that's the tire size that I'm running and it's also the tire size that Rough Country recommends to run with their 2 inch lift.

The 26570R17's give me over an inch of additional sidewall height so I'm actually 3 inches (maybe slightly more) above factory ride height.

I think you'll be very happy with the way those tires look & perform with your lift.
Do you know the width and offset of your Centerline rims? I'm about to order rims and will be running same size tires and lift and I like the looks of yours. Wheels I'm considering are Pacer Soft 8's 17x8 with 0 offset, which calculator tells me stick out 1.94" vs stock.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Do you know the width and offset of your Centerline rims? I'm about to order rims and will be running same size tires and lift and I like the looks of yours. Wheels I'm considering are Pacer Soft 8's 17x8 with 0 offset, which calculator tells me stick out 1.94" vs stock.
They are 17 x 8 with 5.5 inch back spacing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. So my tires will stick out 1" more, which I think I can live with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the lift I used. Picture of front and rear. I also decided against the wheel spacers since I tow a trailer with off-road bikes quite a bit. This is my daily driver and my RV toad. I pick up the Commander in an hour with the new wheels, tires and alignment. Will post pictures. Next up will be modifying a ZJ wench bumper to fit front and rear. Full rock sliders after the bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheels and tires on! Pro Comp AT 265 70 17 mounted on Pro Comp rims with 5.5 off set. Little rubbing inside rear of front fender well plastic. Gonna cut that out today and see if I have to do the pinch weld modification too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Wheels and tires on! Pro Comp AT 265 70 17 mounted on Pro Comp rims with 5.5 off set. Little rubbing inside rear of front fender well plastic. Gonna cut that out today and see if I have to do the pinch weld modification too.
That looks 100% better.

Now here is something I don't understand.

I have the same size tires as you - and my rims have the same 5.5 inch back spacing as yours and I know my lift is a little more than 3 inches.

My tires do not rub at all; I don't understand why yours are rubbing.

Well done though, your rims and tires look great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not sure. The brand tires come out to 31.6 A couple other brands I looked at were 31 or just slightly over 31. It barely rubs the plastic wheel well so thinking of taking a heat gun to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I am not sure. The brand tires come out to 31.6 A couple other brands I looked at were 31 or just slightly over 31. It barely rubs the plastic wheel well so thinking of taking a heat gun to it.
That's a good idea, should get the job done.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That looks 100% better.

Now here is something I don't understand.

I have the same size tires as you - and my rims have the same 5.5 inch back spacing as yours and I know my lift is a little more than 3 inches.

My tires do not rub at all; I don't understand why yours are rubbing.

Well done though, your rims and tires look great.
Tire size varies a bit. Often times they are not 100% true to size.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Tire size varies a bit. Often times they are not 100% true to size.
All I can say is I have had two different sets of tires with my 2 inch RC Lift - BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's and now Toyo Open Country All Terrains, both sets were 26570R17's and I didn't/don't have any rubbing issues with either set.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
All I can say is I have had two different sets of tires with my 2 inch RC Lift - BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's and now Toyo Open Country All Terrains, both sets were 26570R17's and I didn't/don't have any rubbing issues with either set.
I wonder how the width of your wheels compare.

I have 5" BS and 9" wide wheels, which of course stick out more than 5" BS with 8" wide wheels for example.

Also, ride height varies between these vehicles based on engine weight and spring wear. Mine sits a little higher than most since I have the v6.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts