Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS THINKIN OF DOING SOME KIND OF MOD TO ADD ONE OF THESE IN... THE PROBLEM IS WHAT WOULD EVEN FIT?? ANY OPINIONS OR IDEAS FROM ANYONE??? I DEF. DO NOT WANNA GO THE FAKE ADHESIVE VENT ROUTE!!!!

H2 SIDEVENT
Shot at 2007-07-27

RANGE ROVER SPORT SIDE VENT
Shot at 2007-07-27

STRUT SIDE VENT 300C
Shot at 2007-07-27

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like the idea but I agree it wouldn't take much of a mistake to damage the fender panel. The metal is thin and might dent or warp from cutting even if you could make the exact size hole..

·
Registered
396 Posts
My buddy and I cut some sidemarker lights (much smaller than your vent) into the fender of a 1987 BMW 535is. This was back when the car was about 5 years old.

It was actually easier than we thought, and very pleased with the results.

Just make sure you know what is behind the fender where you are cutting, make a template, and also be sure you know that the depth of the vent is not going to hit anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's also a very good idea to use a pneumatic body panel saw. They run at higher RPMs and further reduce the chance of a warped / dimpled body panel. If you can't borrow one, Harbor Freight sells them every day for about $35 and I read recently where they sometimes have them on sale for $20.

Once you have your positions laid out, cover the area with duct tape and re-draw your lines on it. Don't use masking tape- the reason for duct tape is it's thickness which provides a wee bit of cushion and also holds on to the metallic dust you'll be making and keeps it from scratching your paint beneath.

After your cut is made, be sure to paint the newly exposed metal and allow the paint to dry thoroughly before putting your vents in.

I did all this when I mounted LEDs in my TJ, and it went swell.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as the cutting goes a very good friend of mine owns a shop where they can do it, just was not sure what measurements (vent) would fit in the commander... I think the Range rover sport ones are too big for that area, and the HSE vents look like they wouldnt fit either but i have no idea... guess im gonna just have to sneak up to range rovers with a tape measurer hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts