Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used Commander Limited with 70K miles on it. What problems/issues should I be on the lookout for? I took it to an auto shop and mechanics say it looks pretty solid. But would love to get actual consumer input on some things to be prepped for. Thanks so much for any help/advice anyone can provide!

H

P.S.

What mods should I add to increase fuel economy/HP? Chip? (Which one is best) Air filter (K&N?) Anything else? Thanks again!

·
Registered
389 Posts
If the suspension checks out, I don't have anything for you apart from normal maintenance. You might want to do a spark plug change to make sure those are fresh as that can have a huge impact on MPG and power if they've never been changed. Only thing is, if you've got the HEMI, it's probably going to be a PITA to do it yourself... 16 plugs!

If you search, you'll see there isn't much in the way of mods to help out. I have the V6, but I've done the CAI and engine tune with hardly a difference in MPG. Biggest thing was plugs for me. If you really want to see a gain, it'll probably take more than what you're willing to wait to recoup in fuel savings (new intake, exhaust, and some other potential mods.)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
X2 on the plugs. I have 113k on my 06 4.7. I replaced the front drive shaft at 100k and the water pump and front struts at 110k. Other than some initial starter problems at 18k mine has been a solid car. Replaced plugs at 60k

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would swap out every fluid because you have no clue when the last time fluids were changed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Keep it simple to 'improve' MPGs honestly. We didn't buy Jeeps for MPGs you know. If you want peak MPGs, stick to stock. There's a price to pay when upgrading/modding.... more power doesn't always equate to better MPGs.

Anyhow, my HEMI has been a champ for sure since day one. Keep up w/ maintenance as much as possible (which is relatively easy).

Oil filter/change (prefer synthetic Mobil1/Castrol Syntec Titanium 5W20), transmission filter/fluid change, coolant flush, differentil/transfer case flush, replace PCV valve/air filter/wipers/spark plugs (x16), brake fluid flush, wheel alignment -- and then you should be good to go (hope I didn't missed anything).

As far as 'problems', these were what I had issues/repaired/replaced (more cosmetic issues than mechanical):
While under warranty:
Sunroof drain tubes (wet interior floorboard)
Interior door handles breaking apart (front)
Rear isolators (rear would make an odd squeaks over bumps)
Front window regulators replaced (would roll up halfway, then suddenly go back down by itself)
Passenger side mirror assembly (mirror would shake during high speed)

Post-warranty (replaced myself):
Interior door handles breaking apart (rear)
Starter
Battery
Brake rotor/pads
Oil pan (lube shop stripped the bolt threads; covered expenses to replace at dealer)

Not a bad list for owning it for over seven years. No oil leaks whatsoever. Majority of the parts under the hood are original. Like a thread above, if you have a HEMI, it's doable but it's no quick job (avg about 2-3hrs to replace all 16 plugs.. it's annoying).

Good luck and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
~~2008 Overland 5.7 HEMI~~
110 Posts
Keep it simple to 'improve' MPGs honestly. We didn't buy Jeeps for MPGs you know. If you want peak MPGs, stick to stock. There's a price to pay when upgrading/modding.... more power doesn't always equate to better MPGs.

Anyhow, my HEMI has been a champ for sure since day one. Keep up w/ maintenance as much as possible (which is relatively easy).

Oil filter/change (prefer synthetic Mobil1/Castrol Syntec Titanium 5W20), transmission filter/fluid change, coolant flush, differentil/transfer case flush, replace PCV valve/air filter/wipers/spark plugs (x16), brake fluid flush, wheel alignment -- and then you should be good to go (hope I didn't missed anything).

As far as 'problems', these were what I had issues/repaired/replaced (more cosmetic issues than mechanical):
While under warranty:
Sunroof drain tubes (wet interior floorboard)
Interior door handles breaking apart (front)
Front window regulators replaced (would roll up halfway, then suddenly go back down by itself)
Passenger side mirror assembly (mirror would shake during high speed)

Post-warranty (replaced myself):
Interior door handles breaking apart (rear)
Starter
Battery
Brake rotor/pads
Oil pan (lube shop stripped the bolt threads; covered expenses to replace at dealer)

Not a bad list for owning it for over seven years. No oil leaks whatsoever. Majority of the parts under the hood are original. Like a thread above, if you have a HEMI, it's doable but it's no quick job (avg about 2-3hrs to replace all 16 plugs.. it's annoying).

Good luck and welcome to the club.
Mine does this. I know yours was under warranty but do you know how large/small of a repair this is and is it the type of thing
A) my mechanic would notice while changing spark plugs next week?
B) that would be covered by my extended warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
Mine does this. I know yours was under warranty but do you know how large/small of a repair this is and is it the type of thing
A) my mechanic would notice while changing spark plugs next week?
B) that would be covered by my extended warranty?
The rear isolators may be covered, you will need to read your warranty or ask the warranty company.

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
I've never heard of any Warranty covering spark plug changing. It's a normal service item like changing the oil.
@rblapham You misread her post. She is not asking if the plugs are a warranty item.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts