Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, not new in the Jeep family though. Have owned a XJ for many years but that's just a car to allay my offroad-desire. Recently we bought a Commander diesel, it's really for my wife just to get to the job in a safe way when I'm working away from home and we have alot of snow here in the North Sweden (and oh, have mercy on my English :)

It has 16000km on it, and the serviceindicator are alarming. What do I need to do on this service, is there any flaws I should be carefull with and check? (like certain things that is common to brake on these cars)
I'm thinking of, of course, change motoroil and filters, the same in the automatic and oil in the front and rear axle. Is there anything else you recomend me to do?
I am sorry if I have missed some thread where this can be found already :icon_confused: I've searched.
It's a little bit strange, I cant get the 4wd low in now, cause it says I have to service it?

I also have some other questions..
I think I hear a whining noise from the rear axle, it comes when I'm on the highway and directly I press the throttle just a little bit, it comes. If I just roll without throttle theres no sound, so I'm thinking it would be the drive shaft bearing in the rear axle right? No increasing or decrasing when turning and so on. Is this a common fault? I've changed that bearing on the XJ due to the same problem a few years ago.

I think the car looks low in the front, much more space between tires and flares in the back than in the front, maybe it should be that way? or is the spirals worn? Sometimes, in fast and small bumps, it feels like I'm loosing the steering for a moment, but I thought thats just because its a big and heavy car. Maybe my shocks needs to be replaced (and springs)?

Can you get the aux in to my stereo, it's the one without navi?

And finally, how is the heating in these cars? The winters can be very gold up here, and I hate when dieselengines run so lean and the temp wont go up, is there any sort of help installed? I have heard something about a electric help-heater?
Or do I need to install a diesel warmer? (thats nooot cheap)

Oh my god, this was a bit too long, sorry for that! I hope someone have the time to read it :) Many thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Definitely replace all the fluids and filters. The rear shocks may be worn, so look at swapping those. It's super easy and there is a great YouTube video showing how to to do it. Other than for damage or upgrade, I haven't hear of anyone needing to replace the front struts. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The service indicators are owner set not something from the factory so you can go in and reset it or turn it off or whatever you want to do.

The XK is normally lower in the front than the rear. Many people either put spacers in the front to correct or put a lift that also levels out the vehicle. On a side note yours may be worn as I noticed a few weeks ago I put a 2.25" leveling lift on and replaced struts and shocks at the same time. I gained 5" over where the jeep sat before the lift, leading me to believe my struts and shocks were worn out.

If you have the same factory stereo as me there was no aux input on it. I bought a isimple adapter to add to the stereo so I can plug in my iphone.

I don't know anything about the diesel.

Hope that helps some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts