Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a secret to getting that oil filter off?
Man!:eek: Took me 35-45 minutes!:mad:
Never had a vehicle where the filter was that hard to get to/off.
Is there some special "chrysler" tool I need? Do I need to remove anything to make it easier? Is it easier to get to from the top?
I'm using the old 'tried and true' strap filter remover.

I did a search already and could find any answers...
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have never changed the engine oil myself in any car,, but I'm quoting this from the Maintenance manual, it might be helpful

REMOVAL

All engines are equipped with a high quality full-flow, disposable type oil filter. DaimlerChrysler Corporation recommends a Mopar® or equivalent oil filter be used.

1. Position a drain pan under the oil filter.
2. Using a suitable oil filter wrench loosen filter.
3. Rotate the oil filter counterclockwise to remove it from the cylinder block oil filter boss.

4. When filter separates from cylinder block oil filter boss, tip gasket end upward to minimize oil spill. Remove filter from vehicle.

NOTE: Make sure filter gasket was removed with filter.

5. With a wiping cloth, clean the gasket sealing surface of oil and grime.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a cup filter with a ratchet & extention. Works fairly well. No matter what, you're going to spill a little oil.

·
Registered
282 Posts
changed mine a while back also and the filter was a pain. im going to get one of the socket style ones that fit over the end of the filter for next time. my ac hose got oil soaked also. i need to zip tie it away from the gutter next time.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
YB Normyl
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2006

Re: Mods 2 Go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I'm waiting to choose the right air springs I started my oil filter relocation to dual filters. I mounted the filters up higher to keep from getting damaged from below. Still have to run the hoses. Pics aren't great but you can make it out.
Here's a pic of the bracket as it goes under the battery tray.

Heres a pic looking at it from the passenger's side. (only one filter in place)

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you change the oil regularly the filter should spin off with little effort. I've got my oil changes down to about 5-10 minutes. I just reach up spin off the filter, replace and then drain the pan and refill. I agree the filter is a b*tch to get to but you get used to it. I also take a rag and wipe the filters "drain channel" and hoses that the drain channel is supposed to go over.

·
Registered
480 Posts
From jeep5253:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts