Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked up my 2006 4.7 forest green with 85,000 miles on it. Thing is friggin SWEEEET! Thanks for all the guidance and advice during my search guys!

So the dealership that I got if from was about an hour and a half away from where I live so I got a nice long ride home to really test it and the ride was mint. No problems.

Took a cruse today about a 20 minute drive, no problems. Got back in the Jeep to head home and all was well until a few minutes in to the ride when the esp,bas,tcs and "service 4wd system" came on and would not go off.

I eventually pulled into a gas station, shut the Jeep off, came back, turned it on and everything was fine again.

Have not had an issue since this afternoon and have done quite a bit of buzzing around.

I really hope I dont have any major issues with the 4WD system and needless to say am a bit scared.

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM, PLEASE CHIME IN AND GIVE ME A LITTLE ADVICE!

Thanks again for everything guys. Im STOKED!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats notheing really if they come on and stay on or if there are blinking then your need worry o and get an alinement

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think it needs an alignment. It drives straight with my hands off the wheel... Seems fine on that end.

I do know that just before I bought the jeep they re-did the ball joints and break pads in the front end.

The issue only happened that one time (where the lights came on and didnt go off), but Ive only owned the jeep for two days.

Just kind of want to get the info in advance if it does turn out to be a bigger problem down the line.

Either way, thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the XK thus far. I have a blast with mine and it's always fun anticipating the new parts coming to the house so I can install them.
Happy Trailing!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This is a common problem when you need an alignment or if you hit a curb, rock or something similar. If the light went out don't worry about it, if they stay on get it alligned.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I hit a chug hole hard two days ago and mine did this but it came on/went off quickly. Don't worry with it until the lights stay on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it happened again this morning... Went to the drive through to get a coffee and was at a stop for at least 30 seconds or so, then randomly, out of the blue I hear the "beep" and the ESP/BAS and Traction (SS) lights were on again as well as the message saying "Service 4WD system" on the information panel.

This was at a complete stand still...

When I got to where I was going, turned the jeep off, turned it back on and all was fine again.

Anymore insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I guess the next step would be to take it to a dealer and get it scanned. Maybe when the alignment was done they didn't reset something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
have you tryed disconnecting the battery reset the computer?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I guess. It just sucks because the dealership is about an hour and a half away and I have very little time throughout the week and honestly dont want to have to drive all the way back down there...

Was just hoping to find someone else here who had the same exact experience/issue and what the fix ultimately was.

I have searched the forums and have found many, very similar issues, but nothing exactly what I am having and no remedy.

Obviously though, if the 4WD system is truly malfunctional, I want to get it back down to the dealer and fixed for free before the 30 day warranty is up...

I just dont know if its a sensor, computer issue, or something else minor that can be done myself or cheap in the area.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why not contact the dealer you bought it from and see if they will let you get it fixed in your area. They may have a dealer near you that they work with on occasion. Just a hunch worth looking at.

I do not think disconnecting the battery will clear OBD2 like it would OBD1. You will need to use a scanner to clear it out. If you have an Advance Auto near you, they will scan it and clear it for you for free, just don't let those knuckleheads try to fix anything LOL!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I dont think it needs an alignment. It drives straight with my hands off the wheel... Seems fine on that end.

I do know that just before I bought the jeep they re-did the ball joints and break pads in the front end.

The issue only happened that one time (where the lights came on and didnt go off), but Ive only owned the jeep for two days.

Just kind of want to get the info in advance if it does turn out to be a bigger problem down the line.

Either way, thanks.
Maybe due to the work on your front end The alignment isn't quite right, or they damaged a wire enough to give an intermittant signal?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Maybe due to the work on your front end The alignment isn't quite right, or they damaged a wire enough to give an intermittant signal?
XKDRIVER, I tried to respond to your PM the other day but apparently you have your settings set to not receive PMs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'n trying to think what sensor would drive this code and the only thing I can come up with is the ABS sensors or the tone rings at each wheel. One could be damaged or the wires/connector may be damaged/loose causing an intermittent error.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its just odd to me that it happens at a stand still or stop light. It seems random. I could understand if if I hit a big bump or something like that...

Anyways, in my search of these forums, It seems that the wheel speed sensor is the root a lot of the time but still would like to hear from someone who had the same exact issue.

I am afraid if I do drive all the way back down to the dealer over an hour away, the lights wont come on again and there will be no way for them to recreate the issue and fix it.

If that was the case, I would be pretty screwed. I dont have the time for all that...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its just odd to me that it happens at a stand still or stop light. It seems random. I could understand if if I hit a big bump or something like that...

Anyways, in my search of these forums, It seems that the wheel speed sensor is the root a lot of the time but still would like to hear from someone who had the same exact issue.

I am afraid if I do drive all the way back down to the dealer over an hour away, the lights wont come on again and there will be no way for them to recreate the issue and fix it.

If that was the case, I would be pretty screwed. I dont have the time for all that...
The next time it happens use that cell phone camera! Note the time and date when it happens to the picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts