Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, thanks for all the great info so far, hopefully this forum will grow a little more. I'm starting to see Commanders all over central Texas. Anyway, I've had the Airaid complete air intake kit on for about a week now on the Hemi (I'll fill out my sig later) and so far this is what you can expect.
1. Sound- WOW, it sounds like I have an exhaust system, seriously, it is so much more airflow, the engine sounds like a Hemi should. Only problem is, it's so much louder, that there's no way the wife is going to let me put a Magnaflow on:( .

2. Gas milage- has not increased yet in 1 weeks time, I didn't disconnect the battery to reset things, so maybe it will take awhile to creep up, hopefully.

3.Throttle response- Another WOW! It's much improved, not a huge seat o' pants/ 1 sec off your quarter mile time, but you can really tell in the touchiness of the go pedal. I would do it again just for this feature.

4.Easy Install- I'm sorry, VERY easy install, I've got to hand it to Airaid, they have a fine product w/ a great outline on how to install. This is my fourth kit from them, I have their Cummins diesel kit and have had two Ford kits.

Hopefully the milage will go up, I just didn't want to disconnect the battery in fear of having to reset everything. I did read a post that you DON'T lose your settings, is this true?
All in all even if milage stays the same, I love it, you can hear your engine, and the thottle response is great. Hopefully my rambling is good info for you guys.
Thanks again,
Tom
By the way, purchased on Ebay, 265.00 to the door.(hope I didn't violate any rules here)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, gas milage is 13.7-14.3 all the time on my 4x4 Limited Hemi. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Does this sound like normal milage for this model?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the info, TCR. I am planning on getting the Airaid also. Were you able to find a good deal? The cheapest I've seen is $259 on eBay.

·
Registered
136 Posts
"2. Gas milage- has not increased yet in 1 weeks time, I didn't disconnect the battery to reset things, so maybe it will take awhile to creep up, hopefully."
V84.7, 4000 miles:
The gas mileage that is supposed to "creep-UP" never will. I have not reset my indicator for a while and it is going slowly down. The most resently it is showing 11.6 miles per gallon. I used to be able to go up to 210-220 miles on a tank of gas (which is of course terrible) but now I can barely make it to 200 miles. Last time I've got to 200 miles driving 10 miles with empty light ON. So.... no, the mileage will only go up when you trade away this guzzler.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, crap! Here's a really stupid question, is there a muffler that doesn't make the exhaust any louder, yet frees up the airflow? There has got to be a solution when my father has the same engine in an 06 1500 4x4, and he gets 17-18 mph, IN A TRUCK, DID I SAY 4X4 TRUCK, no telling how much more it weighs either.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoops, I meant 17-18 mpg.

·
Registered
401 Posts
mikey said:
The most resently it is showing 11.6 miles per gallon. I used to be able to go up to 210-220 miles on a tank of gas (which is of course terrible) but now I can barely make it to 200 miles. Last time I've got to 200 miles driving 10 miles with empty light ON. So.... no, the mileage will only go up when you trade away this guzzler.:mad:
11.6 x 20.5 = 237.8 miles

Dude, your numbers don't add up. Maybe you have problems with your trip computer. Since your mileage is consistently lower than everyone else's (as you occasionally note), you might want to have it checked out to see what the problem is.

I'm consistently getting ~13.5 with no highway driving. The few times I've had it on the highway, I've gotten up to 22 mpg, depending on terrain and speed. I got 22 mpg driving 30 miles in I-95 from Wilmington, DE to Philadelphia with cruise set just above 60 mph.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anyone know exactly how much fuel is in the tank when the Low-Fuel warning light (not an empty fuel light) goes on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chipster,
I have about two gallons left in the tank when I fill it up shortly after the Low-Fuel Warning light goes on. I recently installed a K&N air filter and removed the snorkel. My highway mileage improved some. About 2mpg. And it sounds much better. Acceleration is better too. I just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to Llano, TX and got 19 mpg at one point when I was cruising at 65 mph. Most of the time I was getting around 15-16 mpg because I was cruising at over 80+ mph. BTW the drive was the smoothest most comfortable one I've ever made to Llano. My '92 Cherokee used to beat me to death on trips that long. It probably helped that My wife and three girls were not along for the ride.:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chipster009 said:
Does anyone know exactly how much fuel is in the tank when the Low-Fuel warning light (not an empty fuel light) goes on?
Whether every Commander Low-Fuel light comes on at/or about the same time, I can't tell you. However, there is another indicator (MILESTO EMPTY) I check on EVERY fill-up. After 8 fill-ups, subtracting the add from the tank capacity (20.6), the "average" fuel left at ZERO MILES TO EMPTY is 2.1 gallons which for me at my average MPG, gives me a range of 30.5 additional miles to "bone-dry".

I haven't had enough "guts" to actually run a tank dry to check how accurate the above data is, but from this data, I certainly would feel comfortable going 15-20 miles past the Low-Fuel light.

Re fill-ups, I add more fuel after the pump shuts off automatically, but I don't go to the point where it starts running down the side of the truck. Since I don't remember seeing the "Low-Fuel" light coming on and a previous post says this happens with around 2 gallons left, that's another indication that my data above is close to correct (or as close as I want to press it.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
mikey said:
The gas mileage that is supposed to "creep-UP" never will. I have not reset my indicator for a while and it is going slowly down. The most recently it is showing 11.6 miles per gallon. I used to be able to go up to 210-220 miles on a tank of gas (which is of course terrible) but now I can barely make it to 200 miles. Last time I've got to 200 miles driving 10 miles with empty light ON. So.... no, the mileage will only go up when you trade away this guzzler.:mad:

In the past, I've taken a few shots at Mickey as have some other members of this forum. Yes, I'll admit the Commander is a guzzler (as is any truck of 5000 lbs.) Certainly, the Commander is a bad choice for an "only" vehicle unless you need a rig like it for towing, etc.

Recently I burned a tank in my Commander where I almost never got out of town or on a freeway where the speed would be 50 MPH plus. For that tank, I averaged only around 11 (there was a little light towing also.) However, my overall average since new is 15 MPG. I strongly believe the key to higher gas mileage in the Commander (or any vehicle for that matter,) is operation in the higher gears. In an urban environment, it's almost impossible to get the Commander into 4th or especially 5th gear without a highway involved.

Re "averaging", since Mickey says (or seems to say) that he is running a continuing average on his dashboard computer, he probably won't ever see much a a change. For example, if he runs 5 tanks at 11 MPG, and then runs a tank at 17 MPG, his average will only creep up to 12 MPG (simple math).

In any situation, it's almost impossible to "average" up (especially when the proceeding data gets bigger and bigger.) If you don't believe this, check out some baseball hitting averages and see how they very seldom creep up. They mostly creep down as the season progresses.

So, Mickey, maybe you should reset your average, and go on a trip somewhere at highway speeds (60-65 MPH). If you don't average at least 15-17 MPG, you would have a strong case that you have a lemon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well Mickey, I guess we both have lemons, because I am averaging around 11.5 too with a 5.7 Hemi. I have 4000 miles on it and the mileage is getting worse. Granted it is mostly in town driving, I should be getting more than 11.5 and my foot is not made of lead.

I have install a K&N filter - no improvement. Love the Jeep but it is B.S. that I am below 12mpg.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone who wants to do stuff to "increase gas milage" on a Commander is not thinking straight. LOL!! ITS FUTILE!! LOL
I ask....WHY????
DONT buy this vehicle if you want good gas milage. Thats not the point of a Jeep Commander....

Do the bolt on stuff for some extra performance but dont hold out hope that you will actually see gains in gas milage...

If you really want god gas milage then drive the Commander in between 40 and 60 mph and let the Multi Displacement Engine do its thing..It does work between those speed ranges..you'll see upwards to 19 mpg.

FWIW, on average my wife gets 14.5 to 15.8 mpg every week during her drive to work and our little bit of in town running around...5.7 Hemi here.
A few days during the week she'll set her cruise control at 59 mph on her way to work and to home...that'll drive the mpg up to around 17mpg for the week.

I usually tow my boat with my truck but I've towed my 4500lb boat with the Commander twice now (by the way, I was impressed by the towing capability of the Commander) It got 11mpg at 65-70mph running speeds. ( My F-150 still beats it with 12mpg LOL)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as warranty being voided, it wouldn't be on anything but the engine. If a service dept can prove your intake is the reason your engine is acting up, your in trouble. I have had intake mods on at least 8-9 trucks, and have visited many dealers for warranty work w/ no issues, but I have heard of horror stories of an idiot dealer voiding a tranny warranty because of exhaust/intake mods. Their claim was the additional power from the upgrades tore up the tranny.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Giving I am still having a few issues I am probably going to elect to not have any mods until I get about a year of no-issue driving. The first issue involved the tranny...do not want to get stuck having to foot that bill

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know exactly, but the light does seem to come on pretty early. And the digital readout will show zero miles left, while I still have gas and am still able to drive for a little while.

·
Registered
396 Posts
For educational purposes only, please read the following info about Magnussen Moss, which may assist in understanding potential warranty coverage and aftermarket modifications:

http://www.answers.com/topic/magnussen-moss-act

Magnussen-Moss Act of 1978 was created for consumer protection from manufacturers voiding warrantys without reasonable cause. Most notable feature of the Magnussen-Moss Act is protections for persons with devices, vehicles, or products protected under Warranty. Warrantors are not allowed to make arbitrary decisions in their own favor to void warranties for changes made to these unless they can specifically prove that the added or modified part caused the failure. Although some states prevent attorneys from advertising as specializing in specific fields, there are some that specialize in this field and can be found on the internet. So if you refill your own printerink cartridge and the power cord fails, or add an aftermarket exhaust to your vehicle and a headlight fails, or a variety of other things consumers are likely to do to something they purchase, a manufacturer cannot simply void your warranty with this as the specified cause.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts