Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been driving jeeps for about 20 years now...Just bought a 2007 Commander.. Ive already got a bunch of questions:crying::laugh2:
When I bought it I was told it needed a new axle bearing turns out the front dif is shot. I don't have the time, place or knowledge to do a rebuild. My mechanic, a guy I trust is suggesting I get a used front Axle assembly and bolt it in. I'm trying to figure out the compatibility with other jeeps. What years for the Commander are interchangeable ? How about Grand Cherokee ? and is having the Hemi going to limit my options? I've been to the dealer and looked around on the internet but haven't been able to answer these questions. I appreciate any thoughts on this, want to get this sorted and not get sour on my new jeep.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Ive been driving jeeps for about 20 years now...Just bought a 2007 Commander.. Ive already got a bunch of questions:crying::laugh2:
When I bought it I was told it needed a new axle bearing turns out the front dif is shot. I don't have the time, place or knowledge to do a rebuild. My mechanic, a guy I trust is suggesting I get a used front Axle assembly and bolt it in. I'm trying to figure out the compatibility with other jeeps. What years for the Commander are interchangeable ? How about Grand Cherokee ? and is having the Hemi going to limit my options? I've been to the dealer and looked around on the internet but haven't been able to answer these questions. I appreciate any thoughts on this, want to get this sorted and not get sour on my new jeep.
Welcome to the forum @monkshouse9 ;

I'm fairly certain front axle assembly from any year Commander (2006 through 2010) will work - but since you are looking to replace the front differential, the only stipulation I would have, is to make sure it comes from a Commander that is equipped with the Quadra-Drive II 4WD system, since that's the 4WD system you have in your XK.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Any idea about compatibility with the Grand Cherokee in the same years
I know a lot of WK parts will fit and are interchangeable on Commanders but I'm not sure about the differentials.

In theory, I would think they should work if they come off of a WK that is within a couple of years of yours (06-08), that has the QD-II 4WD system.

But honestly, I'm not sure.

Give it a day or so and I'm sure somebody, that is more knowledgeable than me, will give you an answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depending on what they mean by front diff, if it's loose I'd check the front diff bushing, it's a pretty common wear item, it cost me $600 at a shop ($30 for part, couple hours labor, might be cheaper just to buy a new front diff)

There are two criteria that you have to be sure of when replacing a front diff -- A differential from a Grand Cherokee 06-10 WILL WORK, however, you need to make sure that you have:

A) correct gear ratio (3.07 for v6 or 3.73 for 4.7 and 5.7 v8 engines) AND
B) with or without electronic limited slip differential

If you have the Hemi, I'm almost positive you have the 3.73 gear ratio. I'm not sure about your status on limited slip, you'll have to find a build sheet or look in your manual to find that out.

Diffs are anywhere from 400-800 from a parts yard/ebay, around $1000 new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts