Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2.25" RR lift installed at the Jeep dealer last Tuesday. Their alignment machine went down that day and they were able to complete a front end alignment. Due to my schedule, I was unable to go back as of this post. When I look at my XK from the front, it appears that there is quite a bit of positive camber. What I have noticed is that when a cross a patch of bumpy road, instead of motoring through the bumps smoothly, the tires seem to almost bounce or skip and the steering wheel has a loose, almost out of control feeling for a second or two. This is further exaggerated if you are at highway speeds or cornering in any fashion. What I am wondering is if this is a characteristic of having the truck lifted or if it may be from the alignment issue? Also, will the handling be improved when I go to new wheels with less of an offset for a wider stance and somewhat larger tires? Any comments would be appreciated.

With all that said, I am still excited about the new look. I can't wait for new wheels and tires! Here are a couple of pictures post lift:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I had mine lifted a few months ago, too, and have experienced a handling change.

When I hit a pothole or bump in the road on one side of the vehicle, it seems to briefly (fractions of a second) lurch rather critically to the side. It's not caused a problem as of yet, as I have never lost control of the vehicle. It almost seems to be a side effect caused by having a higher center of gravity.

If anyone can explain this as normal, please let me know. I've been tempted to call the tire shop up and ask if it's possible that something isn't correct.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
What I am wondering is if this is a characteristic of having the truck lifted or if it may be from the alignment issue? Also, will the handling be improved when I go to new wheels with less of an offset for a wider stance and somewhat larger tires? Any comments would be appreciated
Your situation is caused by the alignment, once you get that taken care of you will ride the same as you did prior to the lift.

Wheels and tires can change the ride but that will depend on the tread style you purchase.

The wider stance will help make it a little more stable but you will not notice it during normal driving (straight).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am glad to hear that. While I consider myself to have steely nerves, I have to admit that the feeling of having no control for a second would take a little getting used to, especially when towing. I also noticed today that when I make a turn, the tires seem to squeal a little and that did not happen prior to having the lift installed. Commanderfan, did you have a front end alignment after your lift was installed?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had mine lifted a few months ago, too, and have experienced a handling change.

When I hit a pothole or bump in the road on one side of the vehicle, it seems to briefly (fractions of a second) lurch rather critically to the side. It's not caused a problem as of yet, as I have never lost control of the vehicle. It almost seems to be a side effect caused by having a higher center of gravity.

If anyone can explain this as normal, please let me know. I've been tempted to call the tire shop up and ask if it's possible that something isn't correct.
I think that might be from your tire upgrade

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
It's a smooth ride, though, not really so much more "bouncy". Just the severe lurching when I hit a bump... jutting to the side and then correcting... steering wheel and everything.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I had a realignment the same day I had the lift put on, along with larger tires. You really need to alignment after the lift regardless of whether you change tires or not.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Well they "told" me they did an alignment, but it still pulls to the right quite a bit, which tells me they either didn't do it, or they did and somehow botched it.

I'm gonna take it in and get it re-aligned, and see what happens.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OnATrail;
I do worry about the lurch you are experiencing, that doesn't seem right at all.
I noticed a difference in feel when I did the lift but not to the extent you are refering. I do think a real alignment will help a little. The guy that did mine said he had to make every adjustment there was, and most of the adjustments were at their limit.
- JJ

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
When caster misadjustment is visual (I can see it in your photos) it's out by a mile!
Limit your driving cause your really hurting those tires.

Whenever you hit a bump, that wheel takes over for a second and is what throws the vehicle. Not so good.

I'm surprised the dealer even released it to you in that condition.

Rob

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just to underscore the handling problems without a re-alignment....

When I had my lift and new tires installed, they jobbed out the re-alignment to another nearby shop and they didn't let me drive it to the other shop. They drove me and my XK there. They knew it would handle badly so he drove it very conservatively.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So driving 100mph isn't safe right now? Just kidding. There is one picture on the beach that you can really see the positive camber. I too was surprised that the dealer released it to me like that. They also haven't made me pay yet "until the job was complete" and my appointment isn't until this Friday. I've driven it on the highway several times since the lift including towing my sleds to final summer storage :-( and I just drive it by the seat of my pants. I wouldn't suggest that for the masses though. As far as the tires go, I am about to spring for some larger Silent Armors in the next month or so otherwise I wouldn't be driving it much at all if I cared about my tires.

P.S. - the front wheels are turned slightly in the picture. However, if you were looking at it directly from the front with the wheels straight ahead, the tops of the tires are more outbound than the bottoms. They look like they are in a noticeably \ \ / / configuration.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have RR lift and just put on new 265/70/17's. After lift was installed had the shop do a 4 wheel align. No problems even w new rubber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts