Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my stock forterras are completly gone. Its like driving on NASCAR slicks for the past couple of weeks.

Went to belle tire and ordered a set of TOYO Open Country At's. Cost me $695 out the door. Size is 245/65/17. Good choice? Right price? Just looking for some feedback before I have them put on and everything is final.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've always liked Open Country tires, and have/had them on many rigs. I also run Toyo on the motorcoach, and those are 22.5'' commercials.

This time 'round I went with the Coopers because Les Schwab wanted over $950 for the set. My larger then stock Coopers were $750.

As for slicks, you actually get better traction on pavement... until it rains anyway. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a set of Toyo MT's on my last truck and was very pleased with how well they handled and wore. I've always read good things about AT's as well. Let us know how they work out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my stock forterras are completly gone. Its like driving on NASCAR slicks for the past couple of weeks.

Went to belle tire and ordered a set of TOYO Open Country At's. Cost me $695 out the door. Size is 245/65/17. Good choice? Right price? Just looking for some feedback before I have them put on and everything is final.
How many miles did you have on your Forterras?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the vehicle and it had 51k so I'm assuming there original.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine had the AT's on it when I bought it, so far no complaints in the rain and snow in Chicago, liking them so far. Just picked up a lift from a board member, so will be looking for a bigger set of those soon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
yes good choice only better would have been m/t but all depends on purpose

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had them installed, and could not be happier. The ride very well for such and aggressive tread. Plowed through 10 inches of packed snow and my traction light never even flashed or did I feel a slip. Best part, belle had them for $715 - $20 mail in rebate = $ 695 with 12mo 0% interest. So went to discount, they had them for $665 - $50 mail in rebate = $615 with 6mo 0% interest. So went back to belle with the discount print out, and they guy goes "615 hummm" lets call it $600 and get you all set up today. So got them for $600 with 12 months 0%, not like I needed to but ill take my time paying them off, just make sure I pay them off in 10 months. GE money bank in well know for "mailing the 12 mo payment late" that way, your late paying it, and stuck with $300 in interest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always liked Open Country tires, and have/had them on many rigs. I also run Toyo on the motorcoach, and those are 22.5'' commercials.

This time 'round I went with the Coopers because Les Schwab wanted over $950 for the set. My larger then stock Coopers were $750.

As for slicks, you actually get better traction on pavement... until it rains anyway. :D
Just started my research on replacement tires. I also drag my Commander behind a motorhome.. what do you think that costs in mileage on a tire? My Forteras have 27,000 plus 16,000 towed and it's time to replace. (Replaced the first set @ 21,000! Should have switched then.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered a set of Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051s with TPMS rebuild kits and had them shipped to NTB - $528. I have no idea how they will wear but hopefully better than the Forterras.

On a side note, NTB claims they never got the TPMS kit so I called Discount Tire they immediatly gave me a refund on the TPMS cost. I would definitely recommend Discount Tire.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the Forteras? I've seen some guys here that aren't happy with the wear. I have over 50K on two of my Forteras ( had to replace 2 because of an incident ) and they will still pass state inspection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts