Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2006 5.7 Limited, 3" lift, 31.5" All Terrains, Predator 91 Octane tune
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I'm glad to find a Commander forum! Just bought a 2006 Commander a couple weeks ago. 117k miles. I've just dealt with the sunroof drain tube issue and had to swap out some badly cupped mud terrain tires with some more well mannered all terrains. I also put on new struts and shocks. The Hemi feels very strong, though I am amazed how thirsty it is, even when I am easy on the pedal. 馃槃

I had all the fluids swapped out, as well as all (sixteen?!?!馃槼) spark plugs replaced with Iridiums.

Anything else I should be aware of as far as quirks or maintenance?
Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle

Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
The poor gas mileage is due to the Commander being a flying "Brick" - high wind resistance. Br aware that the 5.7 hemi stock Champion copper spark plugs work best, many have had problems with Iridium's in case you start having problems. Like the color of your XK :p

Welcome to the forum.
To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Reactions: Arapahoe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the spark plugs. No issues with the Iridiums yet, but good to know. I saw the maintenance schedule called for new plugs every 30k miles and I was hoping to extend that service interval. We'll see how it goes!

I purposely chose the silver because it can go longer in between car washes without looking dirty 馃槂. True story!

Thanks for the link to the equipment build sheet! Maybe I will find a few item that I didn't realize the Commander had.

I'll be taking a 2300 mile road trip in it soon... I read about the dreaded valve-drop issue, so I'll make sure to allow for a cool down prior to shutdown.

Super Moderator
I run the stock copper plugs and change every 50K miles and the old ones look like new so don't worry about mileage.
I do not let it cool down as my temp guage is always just below half way. But I do have the lifetime power train warrante. :p

Administrator
Hey all! I'm glad to find a Commander forum! Just bought a 2006 Commander a couple weeks ago. 117k miles. I've just dealt with the sunroof drain tube issue and had to swap out some badly cupped mud terrain tires with some more well mannered all terrains. I also put on new struts and shocks. The Hemi feels very strong, though I am amazed how thirsty it is, even when I am easy on the pedal. 馃槃

I had all the fluids swapped out, as well as all (sixteen?!?!馃槼) spark plugs replaced with Iridiums.

Anything else I should be aware of as far as quirks or maintenance?
@Burlyman30 ;

Welcome to the forum post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems庐

4 inch XK Superlift;
AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeep Steel Bumpers
4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Additionally, please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your profile signature as directed;

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

I hope you find this information useful & again, welcome aboard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lifetime powertrain warranty??? I had no idea that was a thing. Wow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the links, guys! I appreciate it.

I am thinking about putting a safari rack on top and store my oversized spare up top. It'll make the aerodynamics even worse than it already is, but I think it would look cool. Opinions? Anyone who has done this?

Super Moderator
Lifetime powertrain warranty??? I had no idea that was a thing. Wow.
It was only available to original owners and not transferable.

Administrator
Thanks for the welcome and the links, guys! I appreciate it.

I am thinking about putting a safari rack on top and store my oversized spare up top. It'll make the aerodynamics even worse than it already is, but I think it would look cool. Opinions? Anyone who has done this?
I don't know if you would consider it a 'Safari Rack' or not, but I like the Rola Vortex roof basket, that's what I have.

Amazon.com: ROLA 59504 V-Tex Rooftop Cargo Basket : Automotive

You can put it on, or, take it off, in all of about 10 minutes.

It's pretty light - but strong.

Registered
What is thirsty? I get 13-14 around town and can get 21 behaving on the hiway. Does your ecm successfully switch to 4 cyl when you're taking it easy? I have a "ECO" icon pop up on the dash when it switches out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts