Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i had all my fluids and related filters replaced. front/rear diff, transfer case, transmission, engine oil, and coolant. it cost $350 for fluids/filters and $150 labor. my XK has 68k miles, and i just bought it 5 months ago, so i have no idea about the previous maintenance. what got me started, was recently my diffs started chattering when making slow sharp turns. it turned out some moron put ATF in the front diff. and who knows if they even put in the friction modifier. but now i have the proper gear oil, with modifier. i hope no damage was done

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I assume you have the QDII with the ELSD's? The clutch packs will chatter around turns if you don't have the right friction modifier in them.

How do you know its ATF? A few of the axle lubes are red, but very few, I'd be suspicious as well. If its just clutch packs chattering, then I'd suspect if there is any damage at all, it was the clutch paks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes QDII. Your right, I am assuming its ATF because it was red. My machanic told me about it and I assume he would know the difference as ATF would be thinner than gear oil. But like I said, now I have the proper fluid with modifier added. It's only been a couple days, but the chattering seems to be disappearing. I figure it will take a few days for the new oil to work its way into the clutch pack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts