Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on this new intake system installed. Since the old air box and all parts connected were removed to make room for the K&N no.77, its now open to the front grill, well, slightly off to the left side a bit. During heavy rains on the highway, i know its sucking water inside the engine. When I got home last night and pulled the oil cap, there was moisture on it. How harmful do you think this is?

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
rhobll said:
I have a question on this new intake system installed. Since the old air box and all parts connected were removed to make room for the K&N no.77, its now open to the front grill, well, slightly off to the left side a bit. During heavy rains on the highway, i know its sucking water inside the engine. When I got home last night and pulled the oil cap, there was moisture on it. How harmful do you think this is?
Very.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea. I bought this at autoanything.com, I'll check today for the cover.
I pulled the dipstick today, oil is great. I'm running royal purple. The moisture on the cap also went away.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to replace my pcv valve and noticed creamy oil inside, and on the oil cap. So, I ordered the k&N "drycharger" filter cover. Its made of siliconized polyester and fits snug over the filter . if this doesn't keep the water out, i'm going back to the original box and hose.

·
Registered
114 Posts
IMHO, K&N filters are not worth the powder to blow them to he!! and I'll tell you why.. I completely destroyed a turbo charger on one of my trucks with one installed (I serviced the oiled filter as reccomended).. $2200 later.. There was lots of dirt in the intake tube and it sand blasted the fins inside my turbo.. They don't filter well at all.. They also will expell oil onto the MAF sensor and produce engine codes.. There is no better filtering than the stock setup as long as the filter is kept clean..

As far as HP gains on a gas engine, I don't believe the gains are what is advertised on any CAI.. JMO.. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with people that own them, I'm just stating my opinion concerning this type of modification..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO, K&N filters are not worth the powder to blow them to he!! and I'll tell you why.. I completely destroyed a turbo charger on one of my trucks with one installed (I serviced the oiled filter as reccomended).. $2200 later.. There was lots of dirt in the intake tube and it sand blasted the fins inside my turbo.. They don't filter well at all.. They also will expell oil onto the MAF sensor and produce engine codes.. There is no better filtering than the stock setup as long as the filter is kept clean..

As far as HP gains on a gas engine, I don't believe the gains are what is advertised on any CAI.. JMO.. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with people that own them, I'm just stating my opinion concerning this type of modification..
I knew the gains would be minimal at best, but like how it dresses up the engine. I'm gonna water test the new "drycharger" bag and hope that its tight, because I don't feel like going through the aggravation to remove the K&N

·
Registered
114 Posts
I knew the gains would be minimal at best, but like how it dresses up the engine. I'm gonna water test the new "drycharger" bag and hope that its tight, because I don't feel like going through the aggravation to remove the K&N
They do look kinda cool but there really is no benifit to them and the cleaning process is a PITA and costs a few bucks for the oil and cleaner.. If you drive in dusty conditions, I highly recommend going back to stock as I have seen first hand there non-ablilty to filter properly.. They look good and sound good when you floor it, and that's about it..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fortunately i'm in the city, so very little, if any, dust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fortunately i'm in the city, so very little, if any, dust.
You shouldn't have an issue with it if that's the case.. I posted what I posted previously so that when someone does a search, they can get as much information as possible and they can make and informed decision..

The air inlet's on each vehicle are different and some are more restricting than others.. The water getting inside your intake is a bad sign, that tells me the K&N intake is to open to the elements on our Commanders.. Some of the CAI manufactures designs are pretty poor and we as consumers go out and buy a product and pay good money for it and some of us suffer the consequences because of a pooly designed product.. I was a diesel mechanic for a few years and I can't tell you how many CAI intake systems caused problems in one way or another but, there were more than you can amgine.. There were two that I can think of that were totaly enclosed and filtered pretty well.. (S&B and one of the AFE enclosed products).. They were both dry filters and mounted in an enclosed compartment.. Good luck man..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for awhile and see how it works. I'm torn now, because you know what these cost and you hate to do the reversal, unless its really necessary. I'll post later after the results are in! Thanks for input

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why would you want to "fix what ain't broke." Go back to stock for the best protection.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for awhile and see how it works. I'm torn now, because you know what these cost and you hate to do the reversal, unless its really necessary. I'll post later after the results are in! Thanks for input
I know exactly what you mean.. If you do keep it installed, make sure the filter is completely dry before adding oil to it and also make sure you go easy on the oil..

·
Registered
389 Posts
I never really thought much about this, I figured it was well enough sealed off, but the bottom is very open. I also noticed the bottom side of my filter is pretty dirty. I guess part of this may be due to the fact that the small access doors on my wheel wells are removed, making it easier for things to fly up there. I'm due for an oil change soon, so I'm sure the guys will let me know if the oil looks bad. Dust isn't an issue for me here, but there are times where I have been rough going through water or snow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW! My problems are nothing like that....the day I noticed the moisture under the cap and in the pcv was after driving 25min in a blizzard like snowstorm. I run mobile 1 and use sea foam regularly, so, not too worried. Good piece to read through...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put the drycharger cover over the filter and am waiting for a rainy day to see how effective it is. It fits snug and is made well, and will need cleaning whenever the filter gets cleaned, once a year, with just light soap and water.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does these cai covers not eliminate the cai benefits? I don't have any experience with either yet, I'm just curious.

Is the guy still around who made a cowl induction hood? I think he used a top draw intake. I'm curious about looking back into that setup too now that it came to mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts