Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
intake

I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm learning.
I want to get an K&N intake kit for my 4.7 and not sure which one.

The 63 Series Aircharger Kits or
77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit

What's the difference, if it realy matters.

thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Re: intake

I would order the aircharger. This one is made out of plastic compared to the 77 Kit. Plastic means it will not produce as much heat as the metal one. Less heat into the engine will equal more power. If you look at the dyno between the two, the difference is about 1.5 hp. I wish they come out with one for the 3.7L.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: intake

go with the 63 series, I installed one on the 4.7 commander and it made a HUGE difference in power and the sound is incredible. It makes it sound modified and gives it a nice deep throaty sound you will immediately notice. Install took about 45 minutes total and I have loved it ever since i installed it

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Phunkeydude said:
K&N 63-1549 15.30HP - Black Finish - Cheaper
K&N 77-1549KP 12.93HP - Polished Finish - More Expensive

Which one is better?

I believe that peeps on here have said that the Black one is better. The chrome heats up the air too much and kinda defeats the purpose of "cold" air.

·
2,248 Posts
Unless you want the chrome tube for it's appearance, you already know the answer.
It is an easy upgrade either way.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Phunkeydude said:
K&N 63-1549 15.30HP - Black Finish - Cheaper
K&N 77-1549KP 12.93HP - Polished Finish - More Expensive

Which one is better?

Going by the part number I'm guessing you have the 5.7, I just got the 63-1548 for my 4.7, with the black plastic intake, it is supost to stay cooler than the polished metal one, I'm guessing that is where the diference on gain is... There my be some minor mods to do while installing, I have a post on my install, I just did it yesterday... Go with the 63 series...

Here is mine, in case you want to see it... http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4814

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The chrome one will also not be CARB approved, it's for off road use only. If that matters to you. Honestly though, I can't understand why you would want to pay more for the one that gives less power. I, for one, drive with my hood closed, so no-one will ever see the chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
RedCommander said:
The chrome one will also not be CARB approved, it's for off road use only. If that matters to you. Honestly though, I can't understand why you would want to pay more for the one that gives less power. I, for one, drive with my hood closed, so no-one will ever see the chrome.
That's my thought too. Why pay more for less. I just had to be sure I wasnt missing something.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Actually, I think that 2.37 hp will not make a big difference. I think that you have a nice looking vehicle and think that the polished finished one will just add to it. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The main performance difference I saw when I shopped for mine was where the the HP and RPM peak out at. The chrome peaks out at a lower RPM and the black peaked higher.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The biggest notice of performance I got was out of the Magnaflow Muffler. The engine didn't have to work as hard at 65mph. The K&N not a big difference in daily driving but the XK does accelerate better with the CAI when on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Finally got around to installing K&N on my 5.7L engine.

Appeared to perform a little better with accelleration. Sounds great on the HEMI! I am sure this will have a negative effect on the MPG.

Before

New Parts

Removed front box

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
OEM parts removed

New sheild

Shield Installed. Should I worry about spashing from below??

Didn't realize how cheap and easy these plastic grills come out.
Wonder if I should have a splash gaurd like right side in the hole on left??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts