Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N 63-1548 on sale

For those that are interested Amazon has K&N's Black aircharger kit 63-1548 for $236.
Everywhere else I've been looking it's been $315.
I've been considering it for a while and I thought what the heck, why not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Decided on a K&N cai instead of some of the other brands but i was hoping someone could give me a little information on the three different models you can put on a commander. I have 4.7 . most sites have the options of the 63 series the 77 series and FIPK. I just didnt know which one would be the best for the 4.7 If anyone has any of these or has an opinion which one out performs the others it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can't go on K&N site for some reason. I can tell you from past research, that the main difference between the 63 series and the 77 series is the material they are made out of.

The 63 is made of the plastic and the 77 is made from metal. I purchased the 63 since the plastic does not heat up compared to metal. I guess that is why K&N shows the 63 helps the engine produce more power. Just make sure when you get a CAI that is comes with a heat shield to prevent the engine heat getting sucked up by the CAI.

I heard cold dense air= powers. I have no idea what the FIPK CAI is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah i heard the same thing about the plastic hoses helping to keep the temperature down. thats the way i was leaning. FIPK stands for fuel injection performance kit. I had never heard of it either. almost forgot mine is an '06. also another question.. am i splitting hairs by thinking that the K&N cai's outperform AEM or AFE enough that it really makes a difference which one you put on. thanks for the info and that help so far

·
2,248 Posts
I can give you my perspective. The K&N 63 is what I have. It gets rid of a trashcan full of plastic that helps quiet the intake but also is restrictive. I am not sure how much better the performance is but in conjunction with a low restriction muffler it sure sounds meaner and faster. Here is a picture to show you how much plastic is removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
looks good huey! pic helps alot. This week i'm putting a magnaflow muffler on. just keeping the stock exhausts pipes and everything but replacing the muffler. Should help it sound better too. The 63 sounds like the choice for me. Random question... do the XK's come stock with a resonator as part of the exhaust system. I'm not really familiar with the whole resonator thing. but i'm looking to try to get his thing loud and mean, nothing obnoxious but that fun V8 growl. so i wanted to get rid of the resonator and make it louder, if there is a resonator on it already. Thanks agian guys for the info on the CAI's. Great site for the XK owners to get together and help eachother out. I'm also planning on posting pics and vid sound clips of it once im all done. hope i can help somone else out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe the 4.7 does not come with a resonator. I heard when you install a CAI with an aftermarket exhaust, it will sound louder. Huey probably knows more info on this subject since he has a CAI and a Flowmaster muffler.

·
2,248 Posts
Mine has no resonator. The muffler swap was very easy and inexpensive. The muffler is at the back and I had them put a chrome downturned tip on the end of it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Make sure when you start putting the heat shield together you have access to a computer. You will have to log onto the k&n website to look at the instructions. The papers they sent me with my kit were missing about 4 steps. Plus the pics on the computer are much better resolution, and you can actually tell what goes where and how from the pics on the website.

As for performance, it sounds better in the cabin, and makes you want to put your foot down. I noticed a little bit of seat of the pants different as far as driving difference goes. Seems to be a bit more responsive than with stock airbox. I have not done my exhaust yet, but will get to that pretty soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks guys all that helps me alot. huey i have a question. the muffler i got from magnaflow is the muffler thats directly underneath the commander almost in the middle of the vehicle. What did you get to replace the muffler in the back. its a little confusing tio me cause i thought the muffler to replace was the one in the middle of the exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed my K&N 63 series. Picked it up on ebay (PartsIndustries) for 245.00. Sounds great. Think I picked up a couple mpgs as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huey i think i got an answer to my own question. I only found a pic of the underneath of a 5.7 and the hemi has a resonator which is like a little muffler in the back where most mufflers are. not sure why i havent gotten under mine and actually looked but that will happen tomorrow. From what everyone has said the 4.7 doesnt have one. I think from the picture of the 5.7 i was getting confused on which one i was supposed to replace hope that makes sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts