Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a K&N intake on one of the 4.7L Commanders this weekend for a fellow member. What a pain in the @$$!!! The instructions are very vague. The pictures showed a Grand cherokee with parts that don't even exist in the Commander. I even had to modify a few things to make the intake fit correctly. Two hours later, we finally got it on and made the engine sound mean.

If you're planning on doing this install I suggest test fitting the heatshield a few times before you tighten everything down. It's a little tricky if you install all the brackets the way show in the pics. Take your time and use a little common sense and imagination if you have to. Also, there is no T-fitting for the crankcase breather tube as described in the instructions. You will need to cut about 5" off of the existing crankcase breather tube to allow it to connect to the new intake. Then you should be in business. I'll see if I can get some pics of it soon. I forgot to do that this weekend :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ordered the AEM Brute Force cold air intake for the 5.7L Hemi last night. I hope my installation and manufacturer instructions are easier than your experience. I will post pictures and evaluation remarks later this week.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't show any pictures for it yet. They only have an intake for the HEMI commander. The 4.7 and Hemi intakes are slightly diffrent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased the AEM Brute Force from Auto Anything. Try their website.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone check out the AirRaid kit yet for the HEMI? Still trying to decide whether to go the metal or plastic route.

·
Registered
44 Posts
INTREPER said:
I installed a K&N intake on one of the 4.7L Commanders this weekend for a fellow member. What a pain in the @$$!!! The instructions are very vague. The pictures showed a Grand cherokee with parts that don't even exist in the Commander. I even had to modify a few things to make the intake fit correctly. Two hours later, we finally got it on and made the engine sound mean.

If you're planning on doing this install I suggest test fitting the heatshield a few times before you tighten everything down. It's a little tricky if you install all the brackets the way show in the pics. Take your time and use a little common sense and imagination if you have to. Also, there is no T-fitting for the crankcase breather tube as described in the instructions. You will need to cut about 5" off of the existing crankcase breather tube to allow it to connect to the new intake. Then you should be in business. I'll see if I can get some pics of it soon. I forgot to do that this weekend :D

INTREPER did the install on my Commander and he is dead on in his explanations!!!!

He did a great job and although we run into several minor roadblocks during the install, INTREPER got it all to work....thanks again INTREPER!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Out of curiosity, K&N or the other filter, what does this do for the Commander? Performance wise? I know it's not necessary but does it make a whole lot of difference?

·
Registered
44 Posts
nutsnbolts said:
Out of curiosity, K&N or the other filter, what does this do for the Commander? Performance wise? I know it's not necessary but does it make a whole lot of difference?
You can definitely tell a difference in the acceleration/horsepower. When I give it gas, it does not labor at all up any hills or wherever. It has added quite a kick to my engines accelaration power.

As far as gas mileage improvement, I really haven't noticed any significant improvement...yet. I drive 80-90% city miles, so I am not sure if I will notice much improvement like I was hoping for. But, I just got it installed only a week ago, so time will tell.

I will report back after a month.

·
Registered
707 Posts
does anybody know if I can install a K&N air intake kit for my V6? I know there are none for it, but I may buy one for the Grand Cherokee and hope it will fit on my Commmander.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 5.7L FIPK is complete. Mine is shipping to me now from K&N. The instructions should be specific to the Commander now. We shall see.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Bob,

I would just give K&N a call and see if the kit is compatible for both applications. Good chance that they might be, but why not call the manufacturer directly and check. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not sure if the 5.7L kit is on the website yet, I hope to have mine in a couple days.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hurray! I have my FIPK kit for the 5.7L Commander. It will be installed on Thursday. It shows up on the K&N website.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Out with the old:

In with the new, this is for the 5.7L, by the way:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, here is the Gibson cat back exhaust (tip only):

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know this question was asked but could someone explain a little better to me what the benifits are with these intakes? What are the advertised increases in MPG or horsepower if anyone knows? Are there any disadvantages to this like increased wear on any engine or other parts as well as any issues with emissions? Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts