Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody of you using the K&N/Mopar Cold Air Intake have any problems driving in the rain or shallow puddles?

Any chance of water getting to the Air Filter after the OEM Air Box is removed?

I have the Mopar CAI and Borla Cat Back Exhaust that I installed myself...I am a novice but can give you tips and lessons learned if you need one.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just installed the AEM CAI and was wondering the same about it. Seems pretty open to the front of the car and down below. I imagine driving through a stream might have some challenges for the configuration too. Any experience out there?

·
Registered
161 Posts
jeepney1 said:
Does anybody of you using the K&N/Mopar Cold Air Intake have any problems driving in the rain or shallow puddles?

I have the Mopar CAI and Borla Cat Back Exhaust that I installed myself...I am a novice but can give you tips and lessons learned if you need one.:)
I have both Mopar CAI and Borla on my Commander... No problems at all

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was wondering about the 3" gap that remains between the front hood seal and the side wall (See picture). Right now I have the stock OEM box installed and I see that it has some salt and or car wash soap residue all over the front and top of the OEM filter box. The only place I see that it is entering is through that gap. Since the most of the CAI mods have this similar style replacement housing, wouldn't it be prone to sucking in rain and high pressure spray from a car wash through that gap? Like I said it is obviously getting there already onto the OEM box.

I think I may need to add an extended seal along the front.

This photo is not my Jeep, this is from the Airaid site, I just used it to show what I was talking about.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hemi05WJ said:
I have both Mopar CAI and Borla on my Commander... No problems at all
This is encouraging since you've had the JC for over a year now (from your join date) although I am keeping the OEM airbox and resonator for water fording if time comes for that.

I still have the original muffler/tail pipe/resonator and offering it to anybody till end of this week after which I will dispose of it. I can't ship so if anybody is interested you can pick it up in Sugar Land,TX.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Volant Cool air?

Quick question on this whole Cold air intake thing.... I really dont like the open air element thing.

Being that the Commander and Grand Cherokee share the same basic platform, and use the same stock filter element (for all engines) I assume that the placement of the stock air box cleaner is the same?

I ask because I want to install a Volant cold air intake system on My Commander and they list it for the Grand Cherokee 6.1. I have the 4.7, but would mod a PVC tube to fit.

Does anybody know if the Grand Cherokee SRT8 with the 6.1 use the same air filter location?

·
Registered
588 Posts
jeepney1 said:
K&N DryCharger/Prefilter may be the way to go. I'll buy one that fits the air filter. For Mopar CAI I believe the K&N part number is RF-1042DK - Dry Charger
I highly recommend you do this. I have had a K&N fllter and air tube on my 2001 TJ for years now. Believe me my TJ has seen more mud and deep water then any Commander will ever see. The filter does an outstanding job of keeping the filter dry without hindering the air flow. Also, keeps the mud off it so you dont have to clean it very often. Just take the prefilter off, rinse it off, dry it and put it back on. john

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have never had any problem at all with mine, and have seen some good mud and real heavy rain.... However, I think that the prefilter wrap is a great idea, just in case... so I will add one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Drycharger cover on my K&N, no problems in the puddles...

·
Registered
161 Posts
jeepney1 said:
This is encouraging since you've had the JC for over a year now (from your join date).
When I joined I had a WK, I got the first XK in Sept, I put the CAI & Exh on in January. I have gotten it really wet (believe me!!) and no problems! I have had CAI sttups before, and have never had a concern. Hope this helps ya...Tom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the drycharger yesterday in time for the the big rain in Houston. K&N claims 2% loss in air intake. I can see the filter being sucked in as I press the accelerator pedal.

There is most likely a loss in power and its not that great although I believe I can feel it. I removed it this morning when the weather changed for the better and then again I sensed better throttle response but I may be wrong. I have no dyno to prove what I sense.

At least I am more confident I will not hydrolock the engine.

Thanks for all replies.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Is there a Drycharger for the AEM? DO I really need to spend the money on it in AZ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe for our AEM's, when its dirty, we change the element. That simple. No oily mess or anything to worry about.:D

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't added it to this Jeep yet, but I had it for 80,000 miles on my last Jeep without any issues. Your only concern with water should be if you are crossing a river. Rain and snow coming in the front isn't an issue. Off roading was never an issue either, I ran the pre-filter on mine and it kept the mud out. The pre-filter is also nice that it keeps the filter cleaner longer.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Is $28.00 with free shipping reasonable from amazon.com?

Does anybody have any pictures of the different colors of their prefilter on their intake. I am thinking about the red, but it seems a bit too bright on the K&N website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jeepney1 said:

I was worried about possible hydrolock issues as well. I went with the K&N system, installed it and was concerned over the opening left from removing the stock airbox. After driving my commander in the rain, I did notice some water on and around the filter.

I read about the airaid system and how it uses the lower portion of the stock airbox. This set up looked like it really helps keep the water from splashing up from under the vehicle. So instead of returning the K&N to autoanything, I removed the K&N metal heat shield and reinstalled the lower portion of the stock airbox. Protection from water is more important to me than performance. If I feel the need for speed, I take my Z06 out for a ride.:D

That stated, the average MPG is up +1.2 city after 4 fill-ups.

No more water splashing up onto the filter.

Problem solved!

·
Registered
707 Posts
But won't the intake kit take some of the hot air in the engine compartment since you took the heat shield off?

I have not yet installed mine. I am waiting for the warranty to go out.

I am also worried about hydrolock and I am thinking about possible ways to prevent it from happening. That is why I am thinking about buying the drycharger. If water does reach the filter, the prefilter should prevent water from going inside of the intake tube.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts