Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to purchase an intake, either the K&N or the AEM for the 4.7 engine. The AEM uses their dryflow filters. Is this as free flowing as the K&N oiled gauze or no? What are drawbacks if any to either system?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not sure, I'm looking at a drop-in K&N filter for my 4.7 V8. I'll be very interested to see the responses you get to this question. The results I've had with a drop-in for my wife's '06 Suburban with the 5.3 V8 have been nothing short of phenomenal; upper RPM performance power and rev-out made it seem like a different engine, while the throttle response was a bit more crisp. The JC 4.7 feels like it's severely choked off in stock form and would benefit at least as well as my wife's Suburban did with just a drop-in replacement filter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am going to upgrade to the AEM Brute force cold air intake system as I think it has a nice look to it and it has more horsepower and torque gain than the K&N. I will post pics of it as I do it. I also plan on upgrading to the hypertech chip programmer and the Borla exhaust. By my calculations, I will gain 39 horsepower with a gain of 58 foot pounds of torque with those modifications. Again, I will post pics as I do each one.

Jason
2006 Limited 4x4
5.7l HEMI
All the options

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems everyone has a different perspective on this. When I had a grand prix, everyone complained that the K&N oil would get on the MAF sensor. But when I had the Dodge ram, alot of people liked the K&N. It is probably just a personal preference, I have the drop in K&N, but I have the V6 and thats about my only option for now, or I would have something different.....

On another note, since the dry flow filter has come out, it does seem like a good idea?!?!

·
Registered
147 Posts
From my experience with the Nissan VQ engine ('02 Maxima and '05 G35x) and VQ owner's boards that the issue with oil on the MAF never occurred out of the box, only after the filter was cleaned and re-oiled; in other words it was most likely user error.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I really prefer the AIRRAID system, it seems to flow (on paper) as well as the K&M, but has filtration better than the other oil/gauze filters.

I wont use K&N unless it is for the track/race, they let too much stuff through. Not a theory, but personal observation and experience over the last 15 years on motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Has anyone put these on the 5.7 and do you have to remove and leave off the factory cover? I am trying to deceide which to put on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put the K&N 63 on my 5.7. You keep the engine cover but remove the airbox thing right in front of the cover. It's really easy to do and improves throttle response a lot. I'm not sure I can tell much power improvement and it's shockingly loud at WOT.
Brian

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bulldog9 said:
I really prefer the AIRRAID system, it seems to flow (on paper) as well as the K&M, but has filtration better than the other oil/gauze filters.

I wont use K&N unless it is for the track/race, they let too much stuff through. Not a theory, but personal observation and experience over the last 15 years on motorcycles.
Elaborate on that please. I understand the concern about filtration on a motorcycle with such tight tolerances (which is why I never changed from the stock filter even though I always put on a new exhaust and re-jetted my bikes), but on a Dodge V8 that's less high-strung I wonder if that concern is warranted to that extent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The intake tube on the K&N 63 is made of rubber vs. the AEM which is a metal tube. Wouldn't the K&N be quieter because of the insulating qualities of rubber?

·
Registered
29 Posts
After checking AEM's web site....I couldn't find anything in writing on horsepower gain....K N claims about 9.7. Anyone have any info on this?? Any experience on MPG increase (after the leadfoot 'oh man this sounds cool' thing wears off?)? Not sure if the $260 or so would be worth 9 HP and .000?? increase in MPG. Although there is the 'bitchin' factor to contend with......

·
Registered
527 Posts
Legalninja said:
Elaborate on that please. I understand the concern about filtration on a motorcycle with such tight tolerances (which is why I never changed from the stock filter even though I always put on a new exhaust and re-jetted my bikes), but on a Dodge V8 that's less high-strung I wonder if that concern is warranted to that extent.
I've raced, autocrossed, and have been wrenching on my stuff since I was a kid, and have always pulled my stuff apart on a regular basis. After a race, or at the end of a riding season, I would pull off carbs, boots, intakes, throttlebodies, etc. When I first started using K&N's or other oiled gauze filters, I noticed a light talc like buildup and coating on all the interior parts of the intake tract, from the filter on. I first noticed this on my motorcycles, and thought it was a fluke, or not enough oil. This is back in the mid 80's early 90's. The next year, I cleaned oiled, and reinstalled, and found the same thing. I had been doing this on these particular motorcycles for 10+ years. I then pulled the intake tubes on my Saabs, and found the same. Once back to paper, this talc film was virtually non existant.

I switched back to paper filters in the cars and motorcycles unless I really wanted the extra power for a race, or autocross, and wont use a normal oiled gauze filter. The AIRRAID system has several layers of oiled gauze but also a synthetic fibrous layer that makes it (supposedly) more efficient than a paper filter for filtration, but flows as good or better than the oiled gauze.

Bottom line, is the pores on the K&N are larger and let more small particles in. I also remember a study done buy the NYC taxi commission in the 80's when K&N or maybe a competitor advertised the million mile filter. They switched over the fleet to these filters with the idea of never having to service the air filter over the life of the vehicle. The idea was to cut down service hours & save money. What they noticed however was a spike in upper valve train wear and repairs. The reason? not as good filtration from these filters.

It's just a preference, and I'm not saying that a K&N filter will wreck your motor, but you will notice your oil will get dirty faster, and you will be allowing a higher level of particulate matter in through it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bulldog9 said:
It's just a preference, and I'm not saying that a K&N filter will wreck your motor, but you will notice your oil will get dirty faster, and you will be allowing a higher level of particulate matter in through it.
Just wondering how I would know if I'm taking in water/mud/sand. Just the oil getting dirty quicker, and if water is getting in there what affect does it have(sort term notice or a long term thing)?

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
For those of you that are using K&N and worried about particle intake, I recommend you buy a PREFILTER. I run K&N Cone type filter in my TJ that sees a good deal of offroad use. I also have a prefilter over it (costs about $16). My K7N filter stays pretty clean and I have never seen anything on my throttle body. john

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Jason, I was looking at the AEM as well....I'm leaning in that direction, but going to shop a bit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
referring back to the earlier post of K&N cotton/gauze oiled filters....Since the AirRaid filter is suppose to be more efficient at filtering out smaller particles.....is the AEM filter as efficient at that as well?

·
Registered
137 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts