Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had my K&N drop in filter in my 4.7l for about a week now, and haven't noticed any change really in mpg...I have noticed an improvement in performance though. Well worth the $50 spent.

·
Registered
602 Posts
SO I went all Mobil today

I bought my truck roughly three months ago and immidiately changed the oil to synthetic. I went to Advance looking for Mobil 1 w/ the M1 filter and was talked out of it by the cute blonde clerk, lol. She said that their current special was Valvoline synthetic with a Fram filter, so that's what I bought. It was dirt cheap I must say, btw. Anyway, I have had no problems since (5400 miles ago) and yesterday I switched to M1 and the M1 filter. I swear it seems to be running even smoother. Is there THAT much difference in the oils/filter (ok, I know Fram blows, but anyway----)

Also, I put in a K&N drop-in around the time of my first oil change (5400 miles ago) and now I live in DUSTY-ASS Vegas. Do you think I need to clean it ALREADY, or should I just throw in a brand new Purolator or something "normal"/respectable at every oil change? Will my engine feel like it's smothering if I "downgrade" filters? I hadn't gotten around to the CAI just yet.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Also, I put in a K&N drop-in around the time of my first oil change (5400 miles ago) and now I live in DUSTY-ASS Vegas. Do you think I need to clean it ALREADY, or should I just throw in a brand new Purolator or something "normal"/respectable at every oil change? Will my engine feel like it's smothering if I "downgrade" filters? I hadn't gotten around to the CAI just yet.
The K&N drop-in will certainly be better than a cheaper filter, although whether you will actually feel the minor difference is debatable. If you are worried about the dirt, just check the filter. If you can't see any pink, then it's time to clean it. If you still see any pink/red, then it should be fine...

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I put a drop-in K&N and haven't seen a performance increase, but I know that it'll last, so I'm not worried about that. I plan on going back to synthetic on my next change because the XK seems to be running rougher.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont know if this is true or not but I heard many people say that the K&N filters dont filter as good as a stock paper filter. Apperently it allows more dirt/dust to get into the engine. I have used them in the past and really didnt have any problems with them so who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
My drop in K&N looks like it would be better at filtration.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well,
If using a low restriction filter, in this case K&N, look inside the ducting from filter to throttle body after about 10 k miles.
You will likely see a coating of dust within and of course you will then know the engine has been inhaling more debris than it would through a treated paper filter (stock).
It stands to reason that if you can now hear the intake roar there is less ability to filter by virtue of sound level.
I wish I could find the study done about 2 years ago but K&N does admit their filter will allow SLIGHTLY more dust infiltration but they also said their testing determined that to be insignificant.
I guess you yourself will have to determine what degree of insignificant is agreeable to you.
Yep......I know I opened pandoras box.
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The pleats appear closer and the material seems thicker. How it provides more flow is beyond me (in fact, even if it DOES provide more flow is a question).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The pleats appear closer and the material seems thicker. How it provides more flow is beyond me (in fact, even if it DOES provide more flow is a question).
Thats weird because I thought the exact opposite about the K&N filters filtration.

The K&N Filters definately provide more flow then a standard paper filter.

·
Registered
602 Posts
NOW I am confused, haha. Ok so it's more air flow with more dust getting through----or less air flow with a cleaner motor. Wonderful.:mofo:

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Starting with my WJ, I stopped buying K&N filters for my cars. I read another report from a fleet manager that was interested in keeping his consumables costs down. Before spending the money, they wanted to make sure they were getting the same sort of dust protection, performance, and ultimate economy of reusabiltiy with the K&N investment over time that they would with OEM paper filters.

Long story short, oil tests and other data showed unfavorably for the K&N when costs were factored in, and I believe there was actually particulate flow through (determined by oil analysis) compared to the tighter weave on the OEM papers.

Anyone recognize this article/post from another forum? I read it on a motorcycle forum ages ago.

·
Registered
602 Posts
So anyone have a recomendation on a good-ole paper filter? I have to see where they sell Wix and Purolator near my house I suppose. I have a Checker and an Auto Zone within a couple blodks but they only have the K&N and a few others.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought a Napa Gold today and put it in. (I believe that is a Wix filter). It is EXTREMELY DUSTY where I live and I would rather the extra protection in that regard vs the tiny ammount of extra air flow I might have had with the K & N. The Napa guy sold both filters and told me that I would not notice any performane difference but I would have better filtration. Also I am severely OCD with my truck and this way I can just drop a new filter in at every oil change instead of guessing when I have to constantly manually clean the K&N.:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Danny, I moved your thread over hear since the topic changed to K&N. If you want you can start one on your other topic as well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Danny, I moved your thread over hear since the topic changed to K&N. If you want you can start one on your other topic as well.
No worries thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts