Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been looking around for roof rack options. Does anybody have any good recommendations??

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There was a thread on this in the past, do a search.

Personally, I have no problem laying my Kayak upside down (since the top is flat) and strapping it to the existing OEM roof rack crossrails. If its a long trip, I will remove the soft seat, because it can make noise flapping in the wind. I can get two kayaks strapped down this way, but you have to be careful because they will extend past the crossrails, so if you don't strap them down correctly, they could shift and slide off to the side.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use the TMS KAYAK rack. Cheapest solution out there for a full rack. $27.46 free shipping.

I've used the stock roof rack once and it made a lot of loud whining/whistling with my kayak. The TMS rack didn't make any noise.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TMS-KAYAK-RK-J-1BOX-Universal-Carrier/dp/B003V57NUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414495117&sr=8-1&keywords=Kayak+rack[/ame]

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The noise will be a function of the kayak and how it is positioned. The rack will determine the positioning of the kayak into the wind while driving and definitely have an effect. But a Kayak has a huge opening and other attachements on it that will flap in the wind, so the kayak itself, how you prep it will also have a huge effect on noise.

I.E. another Kayak in the same rack could make god awful noise while driving. Its all a part of figuring out the best way to carry your particular kayak on your vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts