Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Jeep Commander with factory roof rails and crossbars. I am having hard time finding kayak racks for my Commander.
Any suggestions?
@Naturehunter2020; Welcome to the forum;

Your thread has been moved to the new member section in order to comply with the forum rules.

That being said, everybody has their own tastes;

I have a 10 ft Ascend kayak and I have a Rola Vortex roof basket that works pretty well;

I just flip my kayak upside down so the bottom is facing up and it locks right in place with a couple of ratchet straps.

What's really nice about the Rola roof basket is, it has a variety of other uses, beyond just hauling a kayak; like carrying extra gear, or, a spare tire.

Here's a link for the Rola Vortex roof basket;

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below; there is a lot of good information in there for new Commander owners; It also lays out the forum rules & requirements, to remain a member in good standing;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've used a couple different kinds. I'd think you should be able to find J-racks or saddles for the commander factory bars. I prefer J-racks, but it depends on the boat too. I had an open-cockpit tandem a few years back that was too big for anything but saddles or home-made foam pads. If you have small/light enough boat(s) you might even get away with pool noodles or something like these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I am planning to buy a tandem kayak, I have used Yakima products for kayaks racks. I had them on my 1999 Cherokee Classic but since i sold the Jeep I don't need them and won't fit on the Commander. Yakima and Thule does not have any kayak racks for the Commander with factory roof rails and crossbars.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I am planning to buy a tandem kayak, I have used Yakima products for kayaks racks. I had them on my 1999 Cherokee Classic but since i sold the Jeep I don't need them and won't fit on the Commander. Yakima and Thule does not have any kayak racks for the Commander with factory roof rails and crossbars.
Sounds good, post some pics when you get it installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Jeep Commander with factory roof rails and crossbars. I am having hard time finding kayak racks for my Commander.
Any suggestions?
Why doesn't just flipping the boats upside down on the factory rails not work? I've been doing that with whitewater boats for years. Camlock straps to attach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why doesn't just flipping the boats upside down on the factory rails not work? I've been doing that with whitewater boats for years. Camlock straps to attach.
It really just depends on the boat. Some very long boats will deform or dent (or if fiberglass potentially crack) because of the leverage that puts on the top of the hull and some recreational (or, I guess, specialty) boats have really long cockpits, so the coaming, seat, etc. gets in the way. Additionally, not all kayaks are as tough as whitewater 'yaks and just need to be babied a bit more ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the tardiness in my reply to your post. I I just bought a tandem kayak on Amazon, weights 83 pounds and I am still looking for a J shape kayak holder or saddles that will fit the factory cross bars in my 2006 Jeep Commander. I will keep you posted, to all of you, of my search and final purchase.
I will post pictures!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts